Wide seam line - Hydrocal two-piece mold

jeffallen01

Hi all,

I just molded a sculpture in Hydrocal. It's a two-piece mold. I'm making a latex mask. The mold did not come out that well. I had to do some repairs and patching and now I closed the two halves, strapped it together, and the seam line in some areas is a little wide. In a couple of sections you can see the light through it. I'm concerned the latex will drip through the seam line. As I see it I have two options: close the mold, strap it together, and fill the gap with either Hydrocal/Ultracal/Acryl and just keep it strapped and pull the latex out through the neck whenever I pour up a copy. Or fill the gap with WED clay (although I have concerns about the latex not dwelling properly at the seam line. There is a third option of running a strip of plaster bandage along the outside and then ripping it off later. Or plugging the areas where light comes through with some WED clay from the outside of the mold, although I'm thinking the pressure of the latex may just push the WED clay off.

Has anyone tackled this issue before? Any thoughts or ideas on how to proceed?

Thank you,

Jeff

go with your fourth option, WED clay on the outside. it should hold up to the pressure and you can always add more clay if it pops. I suggest strapping up the mold and filling with water so you know were it will leak. You'll have to let the mold dry before using the latex.

Thank you for the suggestion. That's a very good idea. I will try it tonight and let the water sit in the mold for awhile to see if it leaks through at all. If the test goes well, I will pour up the latex mask later tonight. Thanks again.

Jeff

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back