Why is IKEA so hard to deal with DETOLF shelf

Ikea has never really been interested in being a mailorder company, so they don't put a lot of effort into it. The way they design and package their items is to make mass shipping via a ship as cheap as possible, which is why everything is long and flat. Long items are expensive to ship.

Hey, just be glad you're only 300 miles away. Until they opened the Atlanta store this past summer, the closest ones to me were Washington DC and Houston. I live in Florida.

Scott

Part of the reason they are so inexpensive is that they don't have a mail-order infrastructure. No costs to absorb.

Todd

Just find yourself another prop collector in your local area and the two of you do a road trip, split the gas etc. That's what I do, we run down to Atlanta, buy a car load of the display cases and than drive home.

Simple solution:
1) get a one way flight to Houston.
2) Rent a U-Haul truck.
3) drive it to IKEA and buy a metric butt tonne of those display shelves.
4) Drive it back to Austin, unlaod and return the truck there.
5) Sell the extras to local collectors and so forth recoup your costs.
6) Enjoy how cool your props look on display.

There's a new IKEA in Dallas which I think is closer to Austin than Houston(?) I can do the drive in about 2 hours.

It's in Frisco right off of the Dallas North Tollway.

Hope that helps...

Dan

The nearest one to me is Chicago, which is around 9 hours away. I could get one when I go there with my wife to visit her brother...but that only happens like, oh, once every three years. :(

The closest one to me is 13 hours away. However, most of North America's IKEA furniture is made right here in sunny ol' Nova Scotia. A mere 3 hour drive. However, they do not sell in NS, nor do they have onsite sales either. Seconds? Not a chance. IKEA destroys all flawed merchandise... The pisser is that 20 years ago, Nova Scotia had one a the first few IKEA's in North America, but corporate decided that, even tho' it was a profitable store, it was too small of a market to justify a store. Closed. jerks.

Every now and then they have a flat ship rate event (everything for one price) up here. Everyone I know holds out 'til then ( I think its like $35 bux or something) and then mass orders. They do, however, let us order over the phone, over the 'net, via snail mail.

The Detolfs are great... :D

room44zu.jpg

I've got 6 of them and would pick up a few more but since the house is filling up with them my significant other isn't too keen on more. They really are great. You can do so much with arranging them they are almost modular. If they had adjustable shelves they would probably be about perfect.

Originally posted by forttusken@Dec 16 2005, 01:39 AM
I've got 6 of them and would pick up a few more but since the house is filling up with them my significant other isn't too keen on more.Â* They really are great.Â* You can do so much with arranging them they are almost modular. If they had adjustable shelves they would probably be about perfect.
[snapback]1136887[/snapback]​

Good evening - new poster but not a new reader.

For those of you that have purchased this item...do you suspect that the "inbound" ROTS MR Helmet will fit inside the Detolf? Might make or break my purchase of the Detolf.

Last edited:
Originally posted by msmjr2003+Dec 15 2005, 07:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(msmjr2003 @ Dec 15 2005, 07:47 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-forttusken
@Dec 16 2005, 01:39 AM
I've got 6 of them and would pick up a few more but since the house is filling up with them my significant other isn't too keen on more.  They really are great.  You can do so much with arranging them they are almost modular. If they had adjustable shelves they would probably be about perfect.

For those of you that have purchased this item...do you suspect that the "inbound" ROTS MR Helmet will fit inside the Detolf? Might make or break my purchase of the Detolf.

Respectfully,
-Mike
[snapback]1136890[/snapback]​
[/b]

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forums, though I'm a pretty new poster myself. :)

Regarding the helmet, are you talking about the Clone Helmet(s) or the Vader Helmet? As to the dimensions, I have a Detolf cabinet and the dimensions for each shelf are 14 1/2" wide by 15" tall by 13" deep. Hope that helps, and let me know if you would like any other measurements.

Ikea have always got high shipping costs, I know this very well since i live in Sweden :)
But also... Sweden is a very small country compared to United states, but the shipping cost here is still the same.
Its much easier to pick it up yourself, like other people said.
rent a car and do a little road trip.
Im gonna get one of these shelves too when i have something cool to display em in, Im not sure bat cowls will fit in em.

Originally posted by ihs+Dec 16 2005, 03:13 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ihs @ Dec 16 2005, 03:13 AM)</div>
Originally posted by msmjr2003@Dec 15 2005, 07:47 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-forttusken
@Dec 16 2005, 01:39 AM
I've got 6 of them and would pick up a few more but since the house is filling up with them my significant other isn't too keen on more.  They really are great.  You can do so much with arranging them they are almost modular. If they had adjustable shelves they would probably be about perfect.

Respectfully,
-Mike
[snapback]1136890[/snapback]​

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forums, though I'm a pretty new poster myself. :)

Regarding the helmet, are you talking about the Clone Helmet(s) or the Vader Helmet? As to the dimensions, I have a Detolf cabinet and the dimensions for each shelf are 14 1/2" wide by 15" tall by 13" deep. Hope that helps, and let me know if you would like any other measurements.
[snapback]1136937[/snapback]​
[/b]

Forgive me, I meant to clarify earlier. I meant to include "Vader" as part of my post. ROTS MR Vader w/ Stand will - if I'm not mistaken - sit relatively higher than many fan-made, full-size helmets on shorter stands.

Thanks again - Mike

I have a pair of these cabinets, and just found out that they are just slightly too small for Sideshows line of 1/4 scale figures:

DSC00053.JPG

Originally posted by NEKROFANATIC@Dec 15 2005, 04:48 PM
IKEA destroys all flawed merchandise...

Hahhhhahaaahaahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahaaaahahahahahaaha...

:lol :cry

Let me one day bore you with the story of the kitchen I bought from IKEA. And the 5, yes 5, cracked, split, miscast or otherwise structurally unsound Domsjo porcelain sink units I had. (one didn't have the holes for taps cast in it. They told me that you get a drill kit...) And the damaged and warped oak worktops...

Off-topically yours

SimonC

I read through this thread twice and I guess Im missing this....

so what is the overall height of the cases? and how wide?

..........and on the note of cases, Im more inclined to get a locking museum case to slow up any five finger freaks.....anyone seen a good locking case that actually looks like a display case, lol

D

Originally posted by Jayrcee@Dec 16 2005, 06:00 AM
Yeah, I was wondering myself if a fiberglass Vader helmet would fit in one of these DETOLF units.  Anyone know?
[snapback]1136999[/snapback]​
No - cabinet's not deep enough to handle a full-size Vader.
[EDIT - erroneous statement withdrawn]

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back