Why has nobody tackled the Shredder Helmet??

The "helmet" part looks like it was made of reeds or bamboo sticks woven together, like a done on some types of baskets, if you know what I mean, with the metal crown spikes attached on top. Looking forward to seeing how this will be tackled.

found em. this isnt the first movie helmet though... er...it is but its super shredder..i dont remember.

shredderick.jpg

nashshred.jpg

Originally posted by NoHumorMan@Feb 25 2006, 02:04 AM
The "helmet" part looks like it was made of reeds or bamboo sticks woven together, like a done on some types of baskets, if you know what I mean, with the metal crown spikes attached on top.  Looking forward to seeing how this will be tackled.
[snapback]1192873[/snapback]​
i'm pretty sure the helmet was metal... or meant to look metal in the film, anyway. it has a very metallic sheen to it in several scenes.

Originally posted by Kylash327@Feb 24 2006, 09:13 PM
nashshred.jpg

[snapback]1192877[/snapback]​
OH MY GOD..

You have just made my day, sir. Perhaps even my whole week. THANK YOU for posting that pic.

As far as the metal content of Shred's helmet, I always thought the helmet itself was some kind of other material, whereas everything ON IT was metal. IE: Blades, mask, and the little "bars" in the middle that run across the surface of the helm.

You remember in the ending scenes of the first film, he pulls off his mask to reveal his scratched-up face. In this scene, you can see his helmet expand and contract with the removal of the mask...If his entire helmet was made of metal at a thickness like that, I'd think it would have stayed much more solid during the "reveal" sequence.

Plus, I opt for a "part metal, part resin" helmet/mask combo to help keep costs down...I want to be able to actually *afford* one of these things if they're released. ;)

Ryan

You remember in the ending scenes of the first film, he pulls off his mask to reveal his scratched-up face. In this scene, you can see his helmet expand and contract with the removal of the mask...If his entire helmet was made of metal at a thickness like that, I'd think it would have stayed much more solid during the "reveal" sequence.
yeah, there was def. some flex to it. personally, i thought it was covered in some sort of chain-male, but i'm not entirely sure. i've never really examined it closely. i have a few acquaintances who might know, or can possibly get the info... RESEARCH TIME. :)

...and yeah, as long as it was accurate, resin/metal or f.glass/metal would suit me JUST fine. :)

Well that whole piece could definetly be sculpted and cast, and then the forehead and around forehead piece and mask separatly all in fiberglass.

Honestly if there are articulating parts, metal is the way to go....or a hybrid.

I had the same problem with my nazul gauntlets...fiberglass and vac-plastic sounded great but either the flexibility or the rubbing/grinding (and grinding and grinding ---sorry got my hip hop on for a second) wore out the parts a lot. Metal was and is the best material thus for for some things...

The dome could be fiberglass....the tail could be metal.

I can do both.

Seems to be quite a variation in the helmets.....so maybe he owns several versions....

shredder.jpg

shredder.jpg

Shredder.jpg

Shredder.gif

shredder.jpg

spike.gif

raphshred.jpg

shredderx.jpg

shredx.jpg

shred10.jpg

shredder.jpg

raphshred2.jpg

shred13.gif

raphshred.jpg

I am going to start with the cartoon version made in steel and make others designs according to specific version, novels, sources etc.

Originally posted by d_osborn+Feb 26 2006, 05:03 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(d_osborn @ Feb 26 2006, 05:03 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-allosaur176
@Feb 26 2006, 01:15 AM
hmmmm, I would much rather see the movie versions made first...  :unsure
[snapback]1193608[/snapback]​
ditto ;)
[snapback]1194204[/snapback]​
[/b]
er,...um....Whatever comes after "ditto"...

Maybe "Threepio"? :lol

Ryan

So this is movie 1 ?

movie2-shredder.jpg

and this is movie 2 ?
mov40.jpg

Shredder2.jpg

The "weave" which has been mentioned appears to be suggestive of asian chain mail, which differed from standard European "4 through 1" chain mail (four links through each link...repeating...each link had four in it regardless) in that Asian mail...er, largely Chinese and Japanese utilized many more links and/or double layers.

Now I cant say for certain what that material is on the movie helmet as the top of the helmet definately has the tell tale clues for mail, ie, the upside down U shapes in a pattern looking like embedded rings.....but the edge betrays its likelyhood of being actual mail....unless as I suspect, its lined with a material that creates a leading edge. (trust me, chain mail hurts when your smacked and it digs into soft flesh ;)

Being involved in multi period historical reenactments (celtic to ECW), document's, and some film project requring armor, Ive seen lots of different materials used to represent chain mail....from rope patterns to cut-up woven rugs....to the plastic rings in LOTR.

This is vaguely the type of mail it appears as though they are suggesting on Shredders helmet:

swatch_japanese_niobium_pink.jpg

chain_Mail09_MR_2-1-1.psdb439b980-6fad-429c-8cb9-c1ac6af6e341Large.jpg

having said that....I have woven all sorts of mail...but its time consuming.

I have four or five contacts and friends who weave mail with frightening speed and are very reasonable that could make the shroud/domes for these helmets....

DS-you have the pics mixed-up... TMNT 1 Shredder wears red... TMNT 2 Shredder wears purple. :) ...much easier than explaining the differences in the helmets, haha. the TMNT 1-style seems to be more popular among fans...

with the mail, would there be some sort of "base helmet", or would the mail just hang off of the head? it seems in the film, there is something under the mail, giving it support. you have to excuse my lack of knowledge in the world of chain mail, haha...

its the pic in the last post on the first page. Looking at it, it really just looks like something sculpted to look like mail or bamboo to me... you can see gaps between the designs where its flat. Just looks sculpted to me.

with the mail, would there be some sort of "base helmet", or would the mail just hang off of the head? it seems in the film, there is something under the mail, giving it support. you have to excuse my lack of knowledge in the world of chain mail, haha...

Good observation.

Okay, tightly woven mail in an asian pattern ....is VERY firm. Very rigid.

But indeed some of it was also sewn down to a base...a leather, wood or metal base.

Im not trying to get off track from the actual prop and the analities involved in recreating it, rather to elucidate the presumed intent of what they were trying to suggest.....or what could very well be.

Now as for bamboo grass yeah that was sometimes woven into armor and could be laquered, however my sense is that they were trying to go for a round link look

This is definately open to discussion.....could it be a woven "grass" (bamboo is technically a grass I believe) or an asian style chain mail weave?

I like the idea of both actually.

Grass weave is suggested by the longer loops....but this could just be rope too...some ropes weaves are used to simulate chain mail. If laquered, the weave would be shiny like metal. A support base or plate could be used to hold the weave flat, immobile.

Metal chain mail, suggested by the shine and repetitive pattern of the loops and similarities to asian chain mail. Rigid mail is hard to move.....and some was still supported by a flat base.

shredmail_op_800x607.jpg

Ultimately....WE NEED MORE PICS....SCREEN CAPS....

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back