why everyone needs a Vinyl Cutter - X-Wing Build

Re: why everyone needs a Vinyl Cutter

bobster,
in my case, the plotter doesn't show up as a printer. I also use Corel, but the plotter has it's own plug-in to work with it.

A plug in is an interesting way to integrate with an application. When using Corel, are you limited to line art or can it cut around solid shapes?

Bobby

Last edited by a moderator:

Bobby,
I'm not sure what you mean by solid shapes. If you are referring to bitmaps, then no. when you are working in Corel, if you switch your view to "wireframe" you will see exactly what the plotter "sees" and will cut.

If you are referring to a solid object as a square (or any other shape) made up of joined line segments, then yes. it will cut those lines

hope that answers your question

Lou

nevermind, it was a product called cricut, and it uses a blade......seems to be for paper only. Not sure if you could use vinyl decal sheets in it instead. I'll do more research.
Dave :)

Edit....it will cut thin vinyl supposedly. This is a good head start........also, it has a USB port, but not sure what the limitations are at this point. I'll keep digging.

The larger machine which cuts very large items 12" x 24" and smaller...........is $499

Okay, the USB port is already incorporated into both their models but the use for it hasn't been announced yet..............apparently, there will be extended capabilities for the machine announced in the near future. Let's hope it's for custom images. That would rock! especially if it meant we could cut out anything we design with the machine.

:)

Last edited:

Bobby,
I'm not sure what you mean by solid shapes. If you are referring to bitmaps, then no. when you are working in Corel, if you switch your view to "wireframe" you will see exactly what the plotter "sees" and will cut.

If you are referring to a solid object as a square (or any other shape) made up of joined line segments, then yes. it will cut those lines

hope that answers your question

Lou

Yes you have. Thank you so much.

Regards,

Bobby

yeah, we covered that earlier. If someone were to let me borrow thier x-wing, I'd gladly size the templates up to fit it :)

So I used my two favorite tools these days to make some blast patterns for the X-Wings. Illustrator and my vinyl cutter. The pictures below show the pattern, and then the mask being applied. The wings and engines will be gone over with fine steel wool to tone down the spray but she is coming along nicely and is almost done.
Also see what happens when you have butter fingers and drop a wing on the way to the garage. :(
EdsWing101sm.jpg

EdsWing102sm.jpg

EdsWing103sm.jpg

EdsWing104sm.jpg

EdsWing105sm.jpg

EdsWing106sm.jpg

EdsWing107sm.jpg

EdsWing108sm.jpg

EdsWing109sm.jpg

JDH
Are you elevating the masks at all off of the surfaces to keep the painted damage, etc from having a cut out, hard-edged look? It's one of my most basic peeves when it comes to 'automating' any part of finishing a surface, at the opposite end of using pastels for weathering (which is another).

JDH
Are you elevating the masks at all off of the surfaces to keep the painted damage, etc from having a cut out, hard-edged look? It's one of my most basic peeves when it comes to 'automating' any part of finishing a surface, at the opposite end of using pastels for weathering (which is another).

No on the blast marks I painted around them super fine mist of the same black color and then I am going to go over it with super fine steel wool to cut down the hard edges.

Same trick works for any masked area on the whole model. The X-Wing is so easy to paint even though it is detailed because if you mess up you can just scrape over it or leave it and it gives character.

G

Aztek,

You do great work for Papa Smurf. It would be great if you made these masks available.

I could see cutting out your own templates for weathering, however.

No on the blast marks I painted around them super fine mist of the same black color and then I am going to go over it with super fine steel wool to cut down the hard edges.

Same trick works for any masked area on the whole model. The X-Wing is so easy to paint even though it is detailed because if you mess up you can just scrape over it or leave it and it gives character.

G

Ahhh okay, yeah, I gotcha. So you're really blending a lot of those edges back in.

Oh, sorry! I wasn't too clear on that. I mean the Studio Scale X Wing masks - possibly Y Wing too...

all I would need would be to borrow a kit (or just the affected parts) for a day or two to make sure the templates were sized correctly...

the "donor" get theirs done for free (plus postage), and then I make them available for anybody else for a price.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back