Why don't they ask characters to phone in the movies like people do in real life?

pengbuzz

Sr Member
I can see a future thread where people are going to b*tch because they don't ask a character to phone...like in real life!
As joberg postulated this, I thought I'd help him out and make the thread for him: Why don't they ask characters to phone in the movies like people do in real life?

Joberg! The future is HERE!!!

Discuss!

:lol:

ahah, this is sily obviously but for some reason, it struck a nerve with me, we have been watching the old school series "Bones" lately, and you know, in that series, the characters are constantly on the phone and they are constantly hanging up on each other in a very rude manner, just like it was natural to just stop talking and hang up. and this is so weird!

Yep...I don't understand that type of behavior:rolleyes::unsure: Very impolite in my World! Having been a receptionist for a number of years; it gets me every time:mad: I guess phone etiquette is different in every country...but puh...lease! It seems that, in spy movies, a lot of people are phoning (FBI/CIA) or going to phone "Upstairs" when the situation is getting iffy...

Yep...I don't understand that type of behavior:rolleyes::unsure: Very impolite in my World! Having been a receptionist for a number of years; it gets me every time:mad: I guess phone etiquette is different in every country...but puh...lease! It seems that, in spy movies, a lot of people are phoning (FBI/CIA) or going to phone "Upstairs" when the situation is getting iffy...
Ahah yeah, something else that gets me as well, "Can you give us the room?" Who does that? lol. If you want privacy, you leave, you don't ask all the others to leave...

I think that the answer to this question is that sometimes things are done the way they are because films, TV shows, and plays, aren't necessarily 100% accurate representations of how things work in real life. There are union rules, and ease of production that factor into how things are done. Union rules about people speaking are why you get scenes where some extra interacts with a lead actor silently when in real life they would say something, even if it's just a simple yes or no, or even just a grunt. And for the whole "give us the room" thing, it's probably because it's easier to film the extras leaving the set than the other way around, you don't have to change the lighting and the camera setups, and most likely there isn't a set built of the outside of the room they're in. So by having the extras leave, it saves both time and money.

I think that the answer to this question is that sometimes things are done the way they are because films, TV shows, and plays, aren't necessarily 100% accurate representations of how things work in real life. There are union rules, and ease of production that factor into how things are done. Union rules about people speaking are why you get scenes where some extra interacts with a lead actor silently when in real life they would say something, even if it's just a simple yes or no, or even just a grunt. And for the whole "give us the room" thing, it's probably because it's easier to film the extras leaving the set than the other way around, you don't have to change the lighting and the camera setups, and most likely there isn't a set built of the outside of the room they're in. So by having the extras leave, it saves both time and money.
Or, sometimes, in scenes where a top secret level is about to be discussed and can only be heard by X can they ask some, who don't have the appropriate level, to leave the room. It's true that, returning to phone calls, it's been a while since I heard someone asking another person to phone a #:unsure:

Well the just hanging up bit i've heard is because saying 'goodbye' or whatever takes time. TV shows are constantly squeezed for time - i think an hour long show is down to 44 minutes of show and 16 minutes of commercials, so they cut every second they can to cut down on run time and 'talk to you later' is a casualty.

Ahah yeah, something else that gets me as well, "Can you give us the room?" Who does that? lol. If you want privacy, you leave, you don't ask all the others to leave...
I had that happen to me in the Army once. Another LT (I was a 1LT at the time) who I'd never seen before came into the room with an NCO and asked for the room. I just turned around, looked him up and down in disgust (that look they must teach NCOs) and said, "You just walked in here; you can just walk right the [bleep] back out." He just stared at me, and I just stared back. That lasted a moment, and then I said, "That goofy look on your face isn't going to change anything," and I kept staring. Without a word, he slowly turned and walked out with the NCO. Turns out, the Battalion S3 (a Major) was in the back of the room behind something and he'd seen the whole thing. He stepped out, looked around and busted out laughing. "Dang, LT," he said, "I thought you were going to throw down on that guy, who the [bleep] was that, anyway?"
I shrugged and the NCOs in the room started snickering. I never saw the LT again and to this day have no clue who he was, as he wasn't from our Battalion.

As for the phones, I've always noticed that as well. I'd always assumed it was to take out the time for the greetings and endings.

Because then it would turn into a Bob Newhart sketch:

Bob Newhart Comedy GIF by The Kennedy Center

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back