Why does everyone think Yoda was winded lifting the X-Wing?!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Sluis Van Shipyards, May 9, 2012.

1. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

This was brought up again in the 1313 thread so I'm going to ask everyone instead of veering that thread off course. Every time I hear someone talk about the Force they point to Yoda lifting the X-Wing from the swamp and insist it was hard for him to do so. Is it because he sighs after doing it? I never once thought it tired him out; he sighed because Luke didn't understand. Remember the whole "size matters not" thing? According to what Yoda says lifting the X-Wing is no different than lifting a pebble. So that view contradicts what Yoda says.

Now I'm not saying that you could pull a Star Destroyer out of orbit, but a starfighter isn't that big.

2. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

And why does he need a cane if he can jump around like the Tazmanian Devil?

3. Trooper_trent

Trooper_trent Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Because he's 900 years old. In Episode three he was only what 870-875? Huge difference, man!

4. Solo4114

Solo4114 Master Member

It's all downhill after 880.

5. CB2001

CB2001 Master Member

Then explain how Stacy knocked him out with a lightsaber after insulting her.*

*J/k, don't need an explanation.

6. DocTony

DocTony Well-Known Member

I always looked at is as he was OLD, and it showed, BUT when he wanted to tap the force he could, but to use it just to get around and be more nimble on a daily basis would have been using the force for personal used and "using the force as a shortcut" and therefore more of a Darkside thing.

7. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

But wait a minute - if you take Yoda's lesson that moving the rocks was no more difficult than moving the X-wing, why is it so implausible that someone strong in the Force could bring a SD down? Wasn't it his point that its only your own perception of things that makes them "impossible"? That if you really focus your will and put aside your preconceived notions about what you perceive to be impossible, then you can accomplish anything? Ever since I saw ESB as a kid, thats what I took away from that scene.

And for the record, I never thought Yoda was tired after lifiting the X-Wing. Just kinda frustrated that he had to prove himself to this punk kid.

8. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

I always thought he was tired, ever since I saw ESB in 1980.

I always took it as some foreshadowing that he was getting "up there" in his years. He's not the young... (what the heck IS his species again?)... Yoda he used to be.

I mean he croaked in the next film. That was a year later right?

Kevin

9. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Because at the 5 minute mark at this video, you can see his shoulders heaving up and down several times as Luke walks up to him. He was winded.

RAISING XWING - YouTube

10. Michael Bergeron

Michael Bergeron Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Ya, I just saw it as him being old. The acrobatics he did in the PT were ridiculous.

11. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

This is what I always thought too.

12. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

Yoda didn't need the walking stick, it was his high fashion pimp cane...

I never thought he was winded or tired in that scene. I always took it as Yoda looking at Luke in disappointment because he was their last hope and he was kinda pointless.

13. Michael Bergeron

Definitely, he was disappointed in Luke. I just see the two themes together in that scene.

14. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Thanks for the laugh. I needed that.

15. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Perhaps he was simply constipated. Dude lives in a swamp, has a hard time finding fiber and such.

16. ringa

ringa Well-Known Member

Definitely winded, no question. Then, I chalk that up to just another inconsistency in a long, long, long list of continuity errors in the SW universe. That would make for an interesting thread.

17. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I can buy that he was old, but I never thought he was tired. Jedi aren't that big of a deal if they tire out using the Force to lift something as small as an X-Wing!

18. reaper63

reaper63 Sr Member

B ut this brings up the differences in Jedi between the OT and PT. It's not till the PT that we see Jedi as supermen. ylou don't see Saber battles with constant use of the force, you see some moves with force power added, but not the one handed, spinning wheel of death moves that Yoda breaks out in the PT. Although Yoda WAS able to move the X-Wing, it wasn't easy for him. Luke did ALMOST move the X-Wing, and the effort did wind him, in the OT, the more you used the force, there was an effort.

I took Yoda's "size doesn't matter" lesson to mean that you can do it, but it does take an effort on the person. You're ability to use the force doesn't mean there is no physocal toll on the person. you don't need to be a roid king to lift bigger things, you needed to use more force.

19. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

I think putting up with Luke took so much out of him on top of his age that the X-Wing was heavier than if Luke hadn't been there.

20. Cadeian

Cadeian Active Member

Doesn't watching The Emperor in ep. 3 pretty much settle the question that there is a real, physical toll to be paid by using The Force in extreme, exotic ways?

Plus...900 years? Of course he was tired.

21. Michael Bergeron

You and I watched the same film. THANK YOU. :lol

I prefer OT Jedi. Is it reasonable to think that in the PT they should be a bit more powerful? Yep. They're not superheros though. Building them up as such made order 66 that much more laughable.

22. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

If the mass of an object doesn't matter, why didn't Ben just tell Luke to crash the Death Star into the planet it was moving around using the Force?

23. JoeG

JoeG Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You mean the ANH Death Star battle, which obviously takes place before ESB, where Luke thinks moving something significantly smaller than a Death Star, is impossible?:rolleyes

24. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Then when he's a Jedi Knight in ROTJ, whatever. The Rebels killed all life on Endor anyway since all that mass of debris is going to fall into the nearest gravitational body. :rolleyes

****ing newb.

25. Michael Bergeron

At least the debris waited until after their party. :lol

26. sgtsparky22

sgtsparky22 Member

yub yub :)

I figure (and I blame the extended universe) that the cane was just a means to get people to underestimate Yoda.

27. Warpaint

Warpaint Active Member

I believe there is a definite correlation between your abilities within the Force and your connectivity to it.

It is possible that Yoda, at the time we see him in ESB, has lost some of his perpetual connection to the Force, but can still tap into the larger "flow" of it that perrmeates all things.

As he has gotten older, maybe his connection has faded. This, coupled with the destruction of the Jedi, the massive wanning of the Light Side of the Force, and living on a planet seething with the Dark Side, makes accessing the Force difficult and taxing to say the least.

Just a thought.

28. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

If you turn the sound way up, I think you can hear him fart a little as he is lifting it.

29. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

30. Dung0beetle

Dung0beetle Well-Known Member

If Frank Oz had his hand up your nether region, you might grunt, sigh, or groan as well.
    [​IMG]

31. Vermithrax 4

Vermithrax 4 Well-Known Member

On the subject of whether a seasoned Jedi could use the Force to take down a Star Destroyer or the Death Star....probably. That's what Yoda is suggesting. But remember that Yoda also laid down a very firm rule for when you can use the Force and when you can't: "A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense. NEVER for attack!" Using it for aggression leads to the Dark Side, therefore it can't be used by a Jedi to take life indescriminantly.

But of course, Lucas never really did set the parameters of the Force very clearly. Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan used it to bring down battle droids, thus attack. And in ANH I always had the impression that only a Jedi could weild a lightsaber because it took assistance from the Force to do so to prevent hacking off your own limbs. And in using lightsabers for attack, the Jedi is only using the Force to assist in the weilding of the saber. The Jedi himself is the one attacking.

32. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Dont' you guys read Dark Horse Comics? Luke and the Emperor where smashing Star Destroyer's into each other like matchbox cars...

I'm gonna go shave my yub yub...

33. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I agree. That's why the force was so much more attractive and believable in the OT.

Before the dark times. Before the midichlorians.

I don't like the scientific explanations of the force in the new films. It takes away the mysticism, magic and faith of the original concept.

In my opinion, Yoda was tired from the exertion of lifting the x-wing. The fact that he jumped around like an acrobat in the newer films is neither here nor there, as that was just a pastiche of the character and the SW universe.

Not trying to bash the pt in a provocative way, just trying to explain the different interpretations of the Yoda character and the force in general. I think each trilogy has to be viewed as an independent series of films as they have very different cinematic hearts, almost like a mirror universe.