Announcement Why did you do that?

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
I am seeing a lot of the same questions arising in the Sites Issues thread and while I could address them there, my answers would get lost among legitimate issues. With that in mind, I want to provide some insight into why we made a number of the decisions we did in regard to this upgrade. I am not looking to debate them as I cannot argue with someone’s personal preference. My only goal here is that by explaining our thought process you will gain some understanding as to why we have made the decisions we have, and even if you would not have made the same decision, you can respect the direction we are going.

I am generalizing questions or concerns that I have read in the Site Issues thread and am responding to them in no particular order.

The new style is boring. Why is there so little color?

We refer to the wrapper around the content of a site, as the “chrome.” In vB it is generally referred to as a “style” or a “theme.” Many sites feel a strong need to focus on the chrome of their site in order to “jazz it up” and make it feel compelling. However, we feel that the chrome of a site can actually become overwhelming and quite distracting. The chrome should not be the focus of a site, especially a site like the RPF. No one comes to the site to see our amazing chrome. They come to see our amazing content, the cool things that you create and collect. We very purposefully decided to go for a very clean and simple look with elements in the chrome that created a minimal distraction without simply being solid colors (truly boring).

The repeating background was inspired by the menuing system on the Prometheus Blu-Ray which was compelling because it has a modern, even futuristic feel to it why being completely non-descript (if we didn't tell you it was from Prometheus, you would never know it).

We also wanted to create a slight bit of depth, so we made the body of the site (the dark grey main content area) slightly transparent. This look was inspired by the menuing system from Mass Effect and Star Trek… but again, is so non-descript that without us telling you what our inspiration was, you would never guess it or say “Hey, that is a Mass Effect theme!” We also nailed down the background so the foreground elements move over it, but it never moves. This also lends to the feeling of depth as you scroll the page.

I somewhat got off track here, but the main reason we went with so little color in the chrome was so that the content of the site POPS and many of you have even said something along the lines of “all I notice are the banner and the featured areas.” Good! That is a success in our book! That is what you should be noticing! And, when you move into a thread, the photos that members include with their build or showoff threads are going to pop in the same way. Your attention is drawn to the content of the site, not the chrome. The chrome should simply fade away and disappear into nothingness. Can you describe the chrome of Google? Of Facebook? Of eBay? Probably not, because they have gone for the same, very stripped down look that focuses on content, and not a fancy sugar coating that all too often is the hallmark of a site that lacks any true substance.

Why are you using dark text on a light background instead of light text on a dark background?

First, let me be clear that we have had dark text on a light background as our default theme for over a year now, so this is nothing new for our new members. We continued to include two other themes that had light text on a dark background simply because deleting them would have served no purpose but to look like asses. However, when moving to vB4, we could not migrate the themes and had to rebuild them. As we have done considerable research on this issue and are satisfied, despite some members’ belief to the contrary, that dark text on a light background actually does cause less eye strain over time and is easier to read. This is why any truly large site uses dark text on a light background instead of the inverse. We also feel (and yes, this is just a feeling on our part) that a dark on dark theme gives a vibe that is not inline with who we are as a site in that it primary tends to be used by horror sites, goth sites, and sites that want to create a sense of dark brooding. Our site is a celebration of creativity and amazing artistic endeavors and we simply don’t need to use black on black to be “cool.”

Will you provide multiple themes?

In a word; no. We have had multiple themes for years and they are an absolute nightmare to administrate and no matter what you create, if you have multiple themes someone always wants one more than you have created… so it is an endless line of disappointment when you have to tell someone that you are sorry, but we simply can’t justify creating a “Stop or my Mom will Shoot” theme. Again, we have looked to the most successful sites on the internet and very few of those sites provide different themes, again, because the look of the site is not the focus, but the content.
We also won’t create multiple themes because this site has gone from a primarily Star Wars-centric site to cover virtually every property under the sun and we aren't going to focus on a few while excluding others. However, we recognize that our members do like to see their favorite properties represented which is why we created the rotating logo and header banner (thank Gino for that ingenious idea). In this way, we can represent virtually any property without having to change the entire site to facilitate it! This ties back into why we went with a monochromatic look… it matches every header and makes them pop! In the future, we are going to provide members with a template that will allow them to submit suggestions for new banners to be included into the mix.
If you want to know how successful this has been… be honest, how many of you simply refreshed the site over and over to see what all the banners were? I’ll bet it was a good number of you. This banner system allows us to continually add a fresh and relevant look to the site, without having to create an entire style to support it!

OMG, why is there a huge ad below the header/navbar (Jason, this one is for you)?

This is not an ad. It is our “featured” area. One thing that we have struggled with in the past has been how to put some of the best content on the site in front of you. To date, the only way to do that was create a large “Notice” which appeared and disappeared and annoyed a lot of members. However, we find ourselves with really good content very often and don’t like the transient nature of the Notice system, so we had a featured area built for us (much like you see on superherohype, craveonline, ign.com, or any number of blogs) that will allow us to make sure you don’t miss out on cool discussions, articles or opportunities. If you want to view it as an “ad” it is an ad to promote ourselves and our own content or content that we feel is extremely relevant to what we do here at the site.

Why do I have to scroll so far down?

Because we have a large text notice below the featured area right now. While the new featured area and banner SEEM large, because they are big and bold graphics, the overall height is only 100 pixels taller than the previous iteration of the site… not much at all.

Why all the ads?

There are actually only a couple more ads per page than there were previously and some of those are our own ads. In general, we previously had 4 ads per page, 6 per page for non-members. We now have an average of 5 per page, 6 on some pages, and only 4 on others. It seems like there are more ads because their placement has changed and some have changed in size, from horizontal ads to rectangular ads, so you do see them more as you scroll vertically… but then, we aren't going to be coy… that IS the point of ads… to be seen and clicked on. I am not going to go into the whole “why we need ads” argument because you either get it or you don’t, but we have seen a number of people complaining about “more” ads when there really aren't more. Also, there have been some complaints about the ads in the sidebar and how much real estate they take up. You will notice that we ONLY have the sidebar on the index and thread-list pages. Why? Because again… our entire focus for this upgrade was content. On the index and the thread list pages, you simply have a table of contents type list of links… nothing more. They do not require a lot of space to be properly displayed and read… so a sidebar is justifiable. You do not see the sidebar in the threads themselves because they would compete with the content of the threads and they WOULD make the threads feel compressed and maddeningly jammed, especially in a thread that contained images. That is why we moved the ads to the 2nd post of a thread. Yes, you have to scroll past them, but they aren't ruining the content of the thread.

I could go on and on, but I have already written more than most of you are going to be willing to read, and I don’t want to beat the idea to death. There isn't much I can do in regard to those who simply don’t care for the new look, but for those who are willing to be a bit open-minded about it, I hope this has helped explain our decision making process.

Thanks for such a full explanation when you are obviously really busy with the upgrade. TBH I get pretty irked when I see people complaining about such trivial things like skins. As you said it's the content that should be the focus (that's why I'm here :D) It seems like everything you pointed out should be apparent to most. Thanks to you and the staff for making the RPF a great place to share the hobby! :thumbsup

If you want to know how successful this has been… be honest, how many of you simply refreshed the site over and over to see what all the banners were? I’ll bet it was a good number of you.
Ha..even I did that several times, but was little disappointed when I found there was no Back to the Future. Nonetheless it's a great concept and I'm digging rest of the cool banners, including the overall new look.

Ha..even I did that several times, but was little disappointed when I found there was no Back to the Future. Nonetheless it's a great concept and I'm digging rest of the cool banners, including the overall new look.

Start looking for BTTF photos that would fit the format above and we would be glad to add a BTTF banner into the mix! That is the great thing. We can endless add in new banners!

Thank you Art for your explanations, very informative! While I mostly browse the RPF on my smartphone using tapatalk, I went to check out the new design on my pc. And I think the design (not tsking the odd bug left to be resolved into account) looks fantastic. Sleek and professional! Keep up the good work!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Replying to, The Importance of content to looking cool with a Dark back ground, Yes we all want the content but the other part is that The RPF was a nice cool look, and at night or early morning when I'm at the studio or in my house to have the soothing dark RPF Sight was a huge draw for me, it was extremely important. An example is Astromech.net vs. the Yahoo builders group. I won't ever go to the Yahoo group because I don't feel comfortable, the Blue colors of the Astromech.net makes me feel good and I enjoy going there. I can't tell you how bummed I am that I will be forced to look at this bright grey and dark grey tex, Low tech, look, everything else on the sight is good, but this is a huge bummer for me. Oh well would be nice to have the choice of themes, but as you said there won't be a choice it is as it is. To bad it changed at all it was excellent before.

The "featured" area takes up about 1/3rd to 1/2 of the height of my screen. HD 1080x1920. Now on the left and the right I have about 1/4 screen of just blank space.
Trying to stack content horizontally on a landscape format will look cramped very quickly.
I´d really like to see a theme and a layout that caters to the needs of all of those users with 16:10 monitors. 4:3 isn´t extinct, either, and mobile devices can be turned to landscape as well :p

The "featured" area takes up about 1/3rd to 1/2 of the height of my screen. HD 1080x1920. Now on the left and the right I have about 1/4 screen of just blank space.
Trying to stack content horizontally on a landscape format will look cramped very quickly.
I´d really like to see a theme and a layout that caters to the needs of all of those users with 16:10 monitors. 4:3 isn´t extinct, either, and mobile devices can be turned to landscape as well :p

If everyone was 1920X1080 (I am too), I would be right there with you, but we already have people upset that we aren't supporting 1024X768. We are trying to raise the bar a bit without completely ostracizing our membership.

TBH: thanks for answering those questions in such a long way but I'm having a hard time following your reasoning here and there. I hope you'll still crank up the "chrome" a little bit and the way I read it in your answer that will be excactly what you'll do 'cause the new "chrome" is barely functional in many ways. But I think that has been said often enough. And about the ads: I was one of the many who was complaining. I realize there have to be ads to keep the site running and I realize that there aren't more now than there were before the update but now they are taking up a third of your all important content area what makes the site less functional and keeps to be very distracting while looking for the right thread etc. I was thinking about getting a premium membership but now I feel like that I'd have to get it just to make the site readable. Not a nice feeling I can tell you. It just feels like you guys wanna push users into a premium membership. It may not be your intention but it feels like this for me.

I really do hope that you see your mistakes and that you're going to have some changes done in a few days. I'm not saying that you're doing a bad job and I'm really glad for the RPF to be online but your post above sounds just like "This is how it is. Live with it." and that would be pretty bad for a site that lives off something like premium memberships and the content created by users.

TBH: thanks for answering those questions in such a long way but I'm having a hard time following your reasoning here and there.

If you can't follow my explanation, it is only from a lack of desire not a lack of clarity.

I hope you'll still crank up the "chrome" a little bit and the way I read it in your answer that will be excactly what you'll do 'cause the new "chrome" is barely functional in many ways.

I realize there have to be ads to keep the site running and I realize that there aren't more now than there were before the update but now they are taking up a third of your all important content area what makes the site less functional

Ah, but there is where you are wrong. They don't take up any content space, which is why we don't have the sidebar within posts, where they would be competing with content... and again, you are failing to explain how the ads are impeding site functionality.

I was thinking about getting a premium membership but now I feel like that I'd have to get it just to make the site readable. Not a nice feeling I can tell you. It just feels like you guys wanna push users into a premium membership. It may not be your intention but it feels like this for me.

I spent the time to type out a lengthy explanation, sharing our reasoning. If you want to ignore that and still be angry, I can't help you.

I really do hope that you see your mistakes and that you're going to have some changes done in a few days.

We have a whole list of issues that have to be addressed in the first post of the Site Issues thread. If it isn't in that list, we aren't really giving it consideration.

your post above sounds just like "This is how it is. Live with it." and that would be pretty bad for a site that lives off something like premium memberships and the content created by users.

If we had that attitude, we wouldn't have a 13+ page thread, discussing issues and how to resolve them. However, our answer to "I just don't like it" is pretty much what you said. Despite what you might think, we don't believe that bending to every passing wind is the best way for us to serve our members. Those who have legitimate concerns are sharing them and even offering solutions... then there are those who are just ranting. Which group do you think you are falling into?

I was afraif I was gonna sound like the grumpy guy who just doesn't like change and gives a ****** about the reasons why some changes were necessary. That was not my intention.

I think I'm not just ranting and I've offered solutions in other threads before. Like cranking up the font-size here and there or go with a better contrast (I even named colors for the best readability).

And tbh: You're saying that I just don't want to understand while you just don't quote the parts where I was explaining myself. I said that the ads take up a third of the content space and the thread list is content in my eyes. And it's just very distracting that the whole site is grey now while there are massive brighlty colored ads next to the thread list.

I spent the time to type out a lengthy explanation, sharing our reasoning. If you want to ignore that and still be angry, I can't help you.
I've said that I most likely wasn't your intention but it still feels like it and I'm not alone with that. That's all I'm saying.

Despite what you might think, we don't believe that bending to every passing wind is the best way for us to serve our members.
That's not what I think and if I were the only one who was unhappy about certain things I'd just live with it. But there are a lot of people complaing about the same things, like the chrome or the ad placement. I'm not saying: "I'm unhappy." I'm saying: "Lots of others and me are unhappy."

Believe me I know how hard it can be to be the admin of a community. I've been there myself and it's just not possible to make everyone happy and it's really hard to pull off a big update and then seeing people ranting about it. I really do get it but I'm still writing down my concerns and you know why: because I really do like the place you've created here and if it hasn't been clear enough before: I'm thankful! But all that means that I'm taking my time to talk about concerns and what it my eyes seem to be mistakes. It might sound like ranting but it's not. Maybe it's just my lack of the English language. I do have trouble to find the right words once in a while or writing down a qualified reasoning.

Maybe this offer will show how much I appreciate your work:
I'd like to help out. If it's okay with you I'll work on a style for the stylish add-on for Firefox and change the things that most of the critics were complaining about (not including removing ads!). So you don't have to worry about administrating and updating different chromes and anyone who wants another style can help himself. But what I've noticed from my earlier attempts: a lot of the CSS is still embedded directly into the HTML. Is there any way you guys can work on that? I'm just asking 'cause I'm really wanting to do my share of work here to make the RPF as awesome as possible for as many users as possible. I hope you see this as what it's meant to be: a "peace offering" and a proof of my appreciation!

Boo hiss on the lack of color. It was WAAAAAY easier to spot FS and INT etc ads in the Junkyard. Now that they are all gray, unless you enter the filter for each one it's a pain in the ass (and eyes) to spot which is which.. I never liked to filter out the different categories. Maybe some changes were warranted, but like Facebook keeps doing, the tinkering only serves to frustrate :(

Hi Art
Just out of interest will you be adding some colour into the junkyard, on the old website INT was yellow, FS red, T green, will you re-introduce the color's as personally found it helpful scanning through the junkyard and finding projects which i would not usually notice.
Brad

Well it sounds like you had very good reasons for making these changes.

But there lies the problem. There are tons of ideas that sounded great in theory or had valid reasons behind them that didn't work at all when brought to reality. And changing the site is one of them.

I know that whenever I was browsing the old site, I never stopped to think to myself "Boy, I wish the content area would pop more". I was perfectly happy with the way things were, and by the large majority so were other people. Just seems like a big example of fixing what isn't broken.

And now that a lot of people have come forward complaining about the new look. Too muddy, too bright, ect. And you are only continuing to justify keeping things the way they are now by pointing out how great of an idea it seemed before you implemented it.

Start looking for BTTF photos that would fit the format above and we would be glad to add a BTTF banner into the mix! That is the great thing. We can endless add in new banners!

Thanks, I will do that.

Maybe you want to take one of these? :)

bttf1_logo.jpg

bttf1_banner.jpg

bttf2_banner.jpg

bttf3_banner.jpg

I think at this point we really need a Stop or My Mom Will Shoot banner. Because honestly, who wouldn't find that funny?

TBH though, I do miss the little bits of color on the rep bars, or the social media buttons, etc.

Nice work Roland, can definitely go with those images, in the meantime I'm still trying to get some new BTTF images. Will confirm if I can get the new images in another day or two. But for the RPF logo I was thinking we can go with the existing all orange gradient logo (resembling the opening title sequence) something which Art had already done few months back. Will see, maybe we can mix it up with this blue logo and that orange logo for the two or three different banners. Nick also did a nifty BTTF RPF logo which had the orange/yellow colors.

The title sequence in all the films had that classic more orange gradient color look, while the titles in the BTTF posters had the orange/yellow gradient which is more synonymous with BTTF logos these days.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back