Why are the inside of their mouths red?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

munson

Hey all,

I always wonder this:

"Why are the inside of the Predators mouth red?"

The Predator blood is a "Greenish" to a slight "neon-greenish" color [maybe it turns this color when it comes into contact with air, and maybe naturally it's red]. So why then is the inside of the mouth red? This just eats away at me for some reason--I guess it's because if a Pred is wounded, it bleeds green but then roars and you see the inside of his mouth is red.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Estelle

Hey all,

I always wonder this:

The Predator blood is a "Greenish" to a slight "neon-greenish" color [maybe it turns this color when it comes into contact with air, and maybe naturally it's red]. So why then is the inside of the mouth red? This just eats away at me for some reason--I guess it's because if a Pred is wounded, it bleeds green but then roars and you see the inside of his mouth is red.

In would have to say that it’s due to an overlook in the film. There was the explanation that their (predator)blood is “blue” like ours is on the inside but yet, when their blood hits oxygen or rather when oxygen hits their blood, their blood becomes that ever famous florescent green we know so well instead of turning red like ours due to it’s other worldly chemical make-up.
But this makes no sense because it’s oxygenated red blood that gives the mucosa membrane; gums its “pink/red” color. And like you said then predator has a very pink/red mouth
~Estelle

PredatrHuntr

Master Member
Its something that gets over-analyzed. The Preds blood is green, yes, but the artists colored the mouth with red/blue veins. The mouth was colored first and then the green blood was added during the scene where the P1 meets the tree trunk. The fluorescent green was used for the dramatic effect and worked well, but really doesn't jive with the red/green blood in the mouth as far as continuity.

I'd chalk it up to an error that we just accept and don't look to closely at it lol!

strigoi

I generally go with the explaination...its a movie. I am pretty sure there is no biological thought behind it. Simply when they painted the face they made the inside of the mouth red.

munson

Thanks for the reply's. I was just curious, whenever I see the Pred get wounded then see them roar, it's like "duh"--error. Although, maybe I'm just thinking too hard?

Would it be too odd to paint the inside of the mouth a darker version of the florescent green? But, would it even look right with a dark[er] green mouth?

Eraserhead

I figure its just the skin pigmentation. I've seen praying mantises that have a red mouth interior even though their blood is clear. Just the way I choose to look at it.

Estelle

I figure its just the skin pigmentation. I've seen praying mantises that have a red mouth interior even though their blood is clear. Just the way I choose to look at it.
That’s a very good observation there.. .can’t believe I didn’t think of that, with all the preying mantas I used to catch.
~Estelle

ItsSinjin

Hey all,

I always wonder this:

FINALLY! I asked the same question on sideshow freaks, and they were mean... BUT I WANT TO KNOW TOO!!!