Why are my private messages subjected to the profanity filter?

Discussion in 'Site Support & News' started by darthgoat, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthgoat

darthgoat Well-Known Member

Title says it all.

Surely I can swear in my private messages.

That is something that should be user configurable IMO. In fact it would be great to have a global profanity filter that can be turned off and on by the user.

2. rocketeer25

rocketeer25 Sr Member

Old Three Stooges routine...

Judge to Curly, "Do you swear?"

Curly - "No, but I know all the woids." :D

I may be wrong, but I think the profanity filter is across the board... we can't pick and choose which part of the system it works on, and which part it doesn't.

3. darthgoat

darthgoat Well-Known Member

Ok just checkin. :)

4. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(darthgoat @ Jun 30 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]1271617[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, I just checked all the filter settings and automated setup and I didn't see any flag to skip PMs when filtering or for individuals as a whole. It's either all on or off...

5. exoray

exoray Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Lord_Gita @ Jul 1 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]1272137[/snapback]</div>
    Easy enough hack, to simply not filter PMs for bad words

In the 'messenger.php' file in the 'sources/action_public/' directory

Find this line about 1/4 the way down
    Code:
    $this->parser->bypass_badwords = intval($this->ipsclass->member['g_bypass_badwords']);
    Replace with
    Code:
    $this->parser->bypass_badwords = 1;
    Or and alternate method make it look like this...
    Code:
    // $this->parser->bypass_badwords = intval($this->ipsclass->member['g_bypass_badwords']);

Just put the // in front of the original line to "comment" it out (// voids that line from being executed) then you can then easily reverse the hack by simply moving the // marks down to the hacked line instead...

I have not tested this, simply because I'm too lazy, but it should work without a problem...

6. gokarosama

gokarosama Well-Known Member

Oh, @#$%. off. :p

<div class='quotetop'>(exoray @ Jul 3 2006, 04:42 AM) [snapback]1272606[/snapback]</div>
    Easy enough hack, to simply not filter PMs for bad words

In the 'messenger.php' file in the 'sources/action_public/' directory

Find this line about 1/4 the way down
    Code:
    $this->parser->bypass_badwords = intval($this->ipsclass->member['g_bypass_badwords']);
    Replace with
    Code:
    Or and alternate method make it look like this...
    Code:
    // $this->parser->bypass_badwords = intval($this->ipsclass->member['g_bypass_badwords']);

Just put the // in front of the original line to "comment" it out (// voids that line from being executed) then you can then easily reverse the hack by simply moving the // marks down to the hacked line instead...

I have not tested this, simply because I'm too lazy, but it should work without a problem...
    [/b][/quote]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.