Who want's Rayguns?

the DOCTOR

Sr Member
Just realised that I haven't shared some of the Rayguns I've made over the last few years!

Here's one I made for the wife of the author Robert Rankin, he calls her 'Lady Raygun', so it's the "Lady" Raygun:

P7120901.jpg

Started out as a shaped piece of 8mm acrylic, with a barrel made from an acrylic wineglass, along with the ball from a massage ball and a strange bulb-shaped plastic vase.

FinishedRaygun.jpg

Added a fin from in 8mm acrylic, cut cooling slots and holes in the barrel, with an inner barrel from made from a disposable champagne glass, and within that, a box for the batteries that power the LEDs that illuminate the ball and two flicker LEDs in the barrel.

Well, there should be more pictures, and more Rayguns, but Photobucket is being an arse; I'll try again later.

;)

Last edited:
I love it. I've considered making a ray gun before because you have so much freedom for what it can look like and still be a ray gun, but seeing this, now I HAVE to make one. That massage ball thing looks amazing. Really cool prop!

Right, found a way around Photobuckets brainfart!

Found an old wooden box to make into a case, added a velvet lining:

P8220913.jpg

And a set of tools:

P8220914.jpg

EDIT: oh, this one has a label in the lid as well:

boxlablecopy.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I have more!

After completing the above Raygun, Robert Rankin commisioned one for himself, he wanted something a bit more 'manly', so I came up with the COMMODORE:

IMAG0139.jpg

From left to right: acrylic ball, styrene dish (made from the cut outs of the portholes on the main body), a brass vase, an acrylic wine glass, an 80mm acrylic Xmas bauble, and a 60mm acrylic Xmas bauble; the handle is a piece of turned hardwood, and the various other parts are styrene sheet and lots of filler.

IMAG0178.jpg

And here it is, mostly finished, being fitted in the antique cutlery canteen box I found- as you can see, it has a plasma ball in the centre, and the acrylic tip lights up red when you pull the trigger.

TheCOMMODORE9.jpg

This one also has the velvet lined case, and a series of accessories, including a hip-flask of 'liquid plasma', to charge the gun via the filler cap on the mid-barrel:

P9041242.jpg

And a label in the lid:

Rankinlabel1copy.jpg

Power dial:

P9041265.jpg

Filler cap:

P9041254.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, I saw that first pic and was like, "that's not a raygun" then I scrolled down a little and was like "holy crap, what a great raygun!"

Great work on those. Weta would be proud.

those are awesome! especially love the plasma one, the idea of the liquid plasma hip flask is genius :)
does it have it's own power supply or do you have to plug it into the mains?

those are awesome! especially love the plasma one, the idea of the liquid plasma hip flask is genius :)
does it have it's own power supply or do you have to plug it into the mains?

About three years ago, one of the online gadget shops had, in their January sale, mini USB-powered plasma globes, for £1.49 each. So I bought ten.

That's one of them, powered by a 9 volt battery.

;)

Firstly awesome work, I love the designs. secondly, Can I ask what you use to glue all those different types of material to each other?.

Amazing! I agree, would love to see a build log, also do you have a main site, or something on Facebook we can follow for updates? :)

Really nice looking guns! They have a very authentic look to them! I really like the tool kits
as well, nice added touch!

Wonderful to see you doing your own work. I wish more people would take on projects like this. There is a certain satisfaction in making something yourself instead of just buying something as a means to an end. Very zapular.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back