Who wants a sculpting challenge?

I agree with Hal9000....they are 10X worse than disney and have no mercy...tons of articles on google regarding them going after bootleggers...and they wont discern between a fan and a bootlegger...

Originally posted by cayman shen@Feb 9 2006, 12:13 PM
On the other hand, thumbing your nose at the law is one of life's small pleasures...
[snapback]1179685[/snapback]​

"Breaking rocks in the - Hot Sun..."

Originally posted by HAL9000+Feb 9 2006, 02:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HAL9000 @ Feb 9 2006, 02:34 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-cayman shen
@Feb 9 2006, 12:13 PM
On the other hand, thumbing your nose at the law is one of life's small pleasures...
[snapback]1179685[/snapback]​
"Breaking rocks in the - Hot Sun..."
[snapback]1179755[/snapback]​
[/b]

:lol :lol :lol

Originally posted by Jedifyfe+Feb 9 2006, 01:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jedifyfe @ Feb 9 2006, 01:09 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-HAL9000
@Feb 9 2006, 11:08 AM
A.M.P.A.S will crucify you.

I kid not..
[snapback]1179667[/snapback]​

I can't imagine that they can legally persecute me if I never sell any. If I made a copy for myself, how is that breaking any law? There are legal rights to a replica of a statue. Now on the other hand... if I got an original statue, made a mold, copied it and tried to sell it, then I'd say I'd be in trouble. Is there no one who wants to go to jail with me....I mean help me out with this?
[snapback]1179994[/snapback]​
[/b]

No... no rights on replica props. You are allowed to keep what you have because the studio/copyright holder has not gone after you. If it were persued, you could be held liable for possessing unauthorized reproductions of copyrighted works.

THERE IS NO LAW STATING YOU CAN MAKE REPLICAS FOR YOURSELF.

I actually have a pretty good Oscar copy that my wife created for me for Best make-up Artist .

She got it from Suncoast ( years ago ) and had it ingraved for me. I'm glad she did since it was a great gift.

It was so good that later they had been pulled from the stores because of problems from A.M.P.A.S and replaced with a really crappy one.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

DO NOT SCREW WITH THE ACADEMY...

Let me personally assure anyone who openly sells, trade, exhibits a copy of an Oscar, even under or over scale, poorly sculpted, close to but slightly alterred, can find himself quickly between a rock and a hard place.

I offered copies of an actual authentic stage prop Oscar to some members of this forum about 4 years ago. They wer cast from over pour resin from a local prop shop.

No problem there. Simply because the went quietly into some private collections.

One member here I do believe chose to recast it but I chatted with him and I believe convinced him he was going where he did not wish to go.

Problem was the guy, an actor from a popular TV series, who owned the stage prop had me make him several copies for " actor friends" hence the origin of the mold. He was awarding several friends Oscars as a joke. One of the "friends" decided about a year later to put one on ebay and even may have had some copies reproduced for purposes of multiple sales...

About six months later, I found myself packing up the mold for the guy who owned the prop statue and he had to surrender the statue and the mold to attorneys representing The Academy. C&D time.

It did not matter the authentic prop had been manufactured with the permission of the Academy for use in a film screen production. The limited license they evidently gave for use as a prop certainly did not cover replication and evidently did not permit any use of the item past screen use even as a collectible.

Since then I have acquired an unawarded, unassigned Oscar :D that was manufactured in the mid to late 1930's. Probably a showroom sample from the original company that made the Oscars. Because of it's age it is grandfathered out of the Acadmey's legal claims. Still, no way would I ever put that sucker up on ebay.

Sorry. Did you really get PM'd for that Ebay link?

If you wanted to do a search for oscar statue......

Originally posted by rocketeer25@Feb 9 2006, 03:00 PM
As a member PMd me a minute ago... I guess the pulled auction proves a point.
[snapback]1180050[/snapback]​

Javamonkey -

Whatever auction you were looking at has been pulled by ebay, so even re-doing the search you originally did will not yield the what you wanted to link to earlier.

Originally posted by Jedifyfe+Feb 9 2006, 07:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jedifyfe @ Feb 9 2006, 07:09 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-HAL9000
@Feb 9 2006, 11:08 AM
A.M.P.A.S will crucify you.

I kid not..
[snapback]1179667[/snapback]​

I can't imagine that they can legally persecute me if I never sell any. If I made a copy for myself, how is that breaking any law? There are legal rights to a replica of a statue. Now on the other hand... if I got an original statue, made a mold, copied it and tried to sell it, then I'd say I'd be in trouble. Is there no one who wants to go to jail with me....I mean help me out with this?
[snapback]1179994[/snapback]​
[/b]

I AM sorry, but your post compels me to ask...

How old are you.?

Age doesn't automatically equate to wisdom, and vise versa, but the fallacy that "if I just make one for myself, they can't legally pursue" is SO wrong, and SO common amongst the naive and the inexperienced.

Making an unauthorized copy of ANY legally protected intellectual property is against the law, regardless of the quantity made or the intended purpose.

"Making a copy can't be any worse than a Stormtrooper". THAT is STILL illegal without license or permission from LFL.

Sorry for being harsh. But there is a lesson here for you and other New Users as this applies to props as well. It is incumbent upon YOU to realize and fully comprehend what you are endeavouring to do, and the risks involved.

Tread carefully.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back