Who has Necessary Roughness (1991) stuff?

jfennell

I've got a movie used (photo match) helmet, six jerseys, sweats, one practice jersey, and 13 Texas State Penitentiary jerseys. Also a cast and crew letterman jacket and cast signed helmet. Several of the TSP jerseys have star's initials in them.

Anybody else got anything?

There is a gun range North of the University of North Texas that I used to go to shoot cardboard cutouts of people used to make the stadium look full during filming.

Those cutouts are probable pretty rare now :)

There is a gun range North of the University of North Texas that I used to go to shoot cardboard cutouts of people used to make the stadium look full during filming.

Those cutouts are probable pretty rare now :)

That sounds cool. I had read elsewhere that they used the students as well. The days before computer generated people and crowds.

Thanks for sharing.

That sounds cool. I had read elsewhere that they used the students as well. The days before computer generated people and crowds.

Thanks for sharing.

I can tell you that they did indeed use students and pretty much anyone they could get to be in the stands.
I was a featured extra when they were filming the last game against the Texas Colts. I played a trainer for the Colts.

They filmed a bunch of footage that showed the Texas Colts sideline and only the lower center section of the visiting team bleachers had any people in them. I am in a split second shot showing my back of all things. We had no idea there were filming from behind us.

Toward the end of the night they had all the featured extras change into thier street clothes and had us all go to the home field side of the bleachers so they could fill it up for the last touchdown celebration.

We had pom poms and streamers and where supposed to go insane like we just won the Super Bowl......ONLY, not make a single sound. It was pretty weird seeing pandemonium with no sound.

One of the greatest nights of my life. Got to meet Scott Bakula, Sinbad, Larry Miller, Jason Bateman (Not a nice guy), and Kathy Ireland.

Bakula took a picture with me and signed a roll of tape that came with my trainers costume. I have a picture with Kathy Ireland as well and have her autograph as well.

Between scenes they would let us mull around and we all tended to gravitate toward the end zones. Larry Miller came over and started holding court and we were all cracking up, then Sinbad came over and they were dueling for our laughter. It was amazing.

The only downside to the whole evening is what a jerk Jason Bateman was. No pictures, no autographs and as soon as they yelled cut he was off to his trailer. Its no wonder his career died for a long time.

I am going to dig up the pictures.

Greg

As an interesting side note....the scene in the last game where Manumana crushes the quarterback was pretty unique. All night they filmed each snap over and over and over and over to get it right.

They only filmed that play ONCE. The director got on the PA and said "Well, I think that there is no reason to run that one again as he was laughing." and the whole crowd bust out laughing.

Last edited:
Greg,

Awesome stories about the movie. Would love to see some of your pics, if you would like to share them. That movie has always been one of my favs. After a renewed interest, I started collecting the props/wardrobe about 2 years ago and got many of them very reasonably priced.

I'd never would of thought that Bateman would be so standoffish. Usually he seems (by acting) that he is pretty mellow. I guess not. You lucky dog, meeting Kathy Ireland. She was a fav back in the 80s and 90s. Hubba, Hubba!

Regards,
Jeff

It was a great night to be sure. A friend of mine had an agent and they had open casting for featured extras but you had to have an agent.

His agent signed us up and we got paid $50 and had all the catered food we could stuff ourselves with.

My biggest regret after all these years was my lack of foresight as to my trainers outfit.

If you did not turn in your wardrobe you didnt get paid, and I really wanted the $50.

In hindsight I wish I had kept the trainers outfit as I would have had screen used apparel that I had worn myself.

So many cool things, for instance seeing the guy that actually did the kicking for Kathy Ireland walking around all night with a fake ponytail attached to back of his head. He had really short hair.

Sorry to say yes, Jason Bateman was SOOOOOOO full of himself. I tend to think he may be more mellow now, but at the time he thought he was it. I really liked him to that point and it has taken a while for me to warm to his movies again.

I am looking for the pictures as I have a huge grin on my face with my Kathy Ireland picture. I can still feel her hand on my lower back. She was so nice and approachable. Not even a Texas summer night could make her look bad :) Seeing her on the cover of SI was one thing. Seeing her in person is quite another, she was drop dead gorgeous.

Greg,

Awesome stories about the movie. Would love to see some of your pics, if you would like to share them. That movie has always been one of my favs. After a renewed interest, I started collecting the props/wardrobe about 2 years ago and got many of them very reasonably priced.

I'd never would of thought that Bateman would be so standoffish. Usually he seems (by acting) that he is pretty mellow. I guess not. You lucky dog, meeting Kathy Ireland. She was a fav back in the 80s and 90s. Hubba, Hubba!

Regards,
Jeff

Got any pictures?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back