Who has done life size Death Star themes

Having the past week off I've spent quite a few hours on this....as in over 8 a day for a week to get this done once and for all.

I've put the final finishing touches on today, doorpads, along with some greeblies onto them. The room may change slightly over time, but this is the finished product as of today.

Come Christmas time I plan on removing the light panels and stringing "rope" style Christmas lights along each pane and securing. All panels will be controlled off the switched outlet when coming into the room. I installed frosted styrene light panels for this future upgrade.

I hope you guys like it. Now I've just got to get mannequins to start displaying my costumes.....ahhh more cash to spend :eek:

Steve

[attachmentid=7890] [attachmentid=7887]
[attachmentid=7889] [attachmentid=7888]
[attachmentid=7891]

Wow. Nice work Steve. :eek

I love how it's turned out... the sloping ceiling reminds me of the detention block in ANH... :)

Cheers,
John

That's pretty.

And if someone comes into the room and forgets to close the door behind them, you know what you can say...

"Close the blast doors." :p

Hey Steve...that looks awesome. A WHOLE ROOM decorated in SW theme...GREAT :)

Where will you put the shelves/ glass cabinets?

Markus

That is genuinely fantastic. I'm insanely jealous.. :p

Every bit as good as the guy with the Star Trek apartment - much better in fact coz it's Star Wars. :D

(Can I come to stay?)

I've thought of doing this over the years but I've never really had the space available, it's always been a pipe dream - I even drew blueprints for a stylised Death Star set once and almost completed an MDF wall Panel but that's as far as it got..

Getting the inspiration again now though, thanks to you.

Jeremy

:$ Thanks guys.....It's all done with MDF mounted to the drywall in areas of smaller accents. The light panels are from full 4 x 8 sheets that I ripped to size and proportions for the amount of light panels required to be symetrical. I've got to make a folding door from the inside for the closet since the 6 panel colonial door had to go along with the entry door. Lighting at night is rough since every wall is flat gray.....not very conducive to lights. Something else I've got to work on 'til I can light the panels.

The light panels were the hardest. I just made two templates for the two different light sizes. Drew up the layout on each, traced it then cut it out using a circular saw and scroll saw. Then some clean up with a file and sandpaper. I mounted them to the wall on the same 3/4" MDF ripped to small peices at the top/middle/bottom and ripped sides to cover where they stick out from the wall. I should have taken more progress pics, but only have the pre-painted, pre-assembly pics. I actually just threw out the light templates in today's trash :confused

The tricky part is going to be filling it tastefully since it's such an in your face design. First I'm going to work on spacing out all my costumes on mannequins. I've got 5 full ones which are going to eat up alot of space:

Han ANH
Luke Bespin
Boba Fett ESB B)
Sandtrooper
Stormtrooper

Among some other mics. props and about 150 OT 12" figures, my favorite ESB "Gone with the Wind" poster. I'll probably wind up doing a rotation of sorts with a few of the figures. I've also got 2 original rolls of ESB Wallpaper from 1980 that I planned on using that won't see walltime either.....so much stuff so little space.

Steve

VERY nice. Looks great. I tried to convince my wife to let me do the same.. but.. erm..

I got 'THE LOOK'. Ahh well. :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SHalamar @ May 4 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]1238598[/snapback]</div>
VERY nice. Looks great. I tried to convince my wife to let me do the same.. but.. erm..

I got 'THE LOOK'. Ahh well. :)
[/b]

Oh I got "the look" ....not too badly, but a look none the less. The only reason I got away with it is because we have a 4 bedroom house and it's just my wife, myself, and my daughter. The "Star Wars room" is bedroom #4 at the far end of the upstairs hallway that nobody will *really* see...unfortunately :D

Although my wife did suggest charging a minimum admission for people to come and see it all when it's fully decorated :eek she always keeps me guessing after all these years :lol

Steve

:eek That totally rocks - I love it...

"Hey honey take a look a this room this guy did. Wouldn't that look good in our...SMACK."

-Propcicle

Awesome.

I wish I had room do to something similar. (I would choose Bespin though).

Great work.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Luke Warmwater @ May 5 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]1239090[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DL 44 Blaster @ May 4 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]1238346[/snapback]
[attachmentid=7888]
[/b]

If you open the upper panels here, do tribbles fall out?
[/b][/quote]

:D Nah...it's all for show. The carbon freezing chamber is my dream space, but considering it's level of darkness to really pull it off I'm sure a display room wouldn't be best suited in that environment.

I tossed around doing the Tantive IV, but took the easy route and did the Death Star. Once those light panels are up it's unmistakable.

Steve

Awesome work, man. :eek :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

I'm looking forward to seeing more pics when the figures are installed.

By the way, what's the total surface area of the floor in there?

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back