Who can ID this odd ball TIE fighter!?

STEVE THE SWEDE

Sr Member
I'm currently trying to pic out an ESB TIE fighter to use for refference when I paint my new SW propmaker TIE. I came across pics of this one which are currently on display in Boston (at least I think it was Boston).

I just can't get my head around which movie this one was made for.? It has the bluer ESB grey tone and markings but has an almost black ROTJ canopy frame. It also lacks the Orange Led tipped laser cannons that was used for the ANH/ESB Ties. When I searched thru my ref books I found that the body almost perfectly match one of the Hero Interceptors that was built for ROTJ. Same laser cannons, markings and canopy frame color and so on.? As you can tell by the wireing and thruster Led's it's obviously a Hero model but for what flick was it built.? Could this be a leftover interceptor that had it's wing broken and then got repaired with a couple of regular solar pannels? Does anybody know if there was actually any regular Hero TIE models made for ROTJ? If so, could it be one of those?

Anyway, I just love the look of this TIE and would really try to replicate it. Sadly I've limited down my collection to ESB stuff so if it proves to be an ROTJ model I have to look for another refference model.

Here's the pics.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/odd-1.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/odd-2.jpg[/image]

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/odd-3.jpg[/image]

And here's a comparison shot of an ESB hero model. As you can see this one has the light grey canopy frame and orange laser tips. It should be noted though that the Star Wars cronicycles has a pic of an ESB Tie with the same laser tips as the ROTJ interceptor models. Arrgh, please help me sort this out.

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/esb-comp.jpg[/image]

Thanks for what ever answere you might be able to provide.

Steve.

OK, I've done some more digging. I turns out that the grey hull markings (small pannels and such) match up perfect with the ESB TIE featured in the Chronicycles book. I'm talking about the ESB Tie that lacks the orange laser tips. The only thing that doesn't match is that the TIE in the book has a pilot figured seated in the cockpit and the odd ball doesn't. I'm pretty sure they are the same models though, I just can't figure out why the cockpit frame was repainted darker later on? Where's Steve Niesen when you need him. :lol

Steve.

I thought I read here on the board that there was a TIE with an interceptor body but they added regluar TIE wings to it for the exhibit that it is was in.

Maybe this is it...

Lynn

The TIE interceptors had a dark canopy frame, you may want to check to see if this body matchs to an interceptor paint job instead of ESB.

Lynn

Lynn,

I can't really tell for sure if the body is an exact match for any of the interceptors I have pics of, they are all to small to tell. However, as I said in my second post. The body detailing, dark grey pannels and such matches perfect with the Hero TIE displayed in the ESB part of the Chronicycles. This is why I'm starting to think that this particular model was actually built for ESB. What I'm trying to figure out though is why it now has a darker "ROTJ" styled cockpit frame.

Steve.

Originally posted by STEVE THE SWEDE@Jan 18 2006, 01:13 PM
Lynn,

What I'm trying to figure out though is why it now has a darker "ROTJ" styled cockpit frame.

Steve.
[snapback]1162164[/snapback]​

I hear what your saying, but I think SN said this TIE was an Interceptor body with regular wings, thus the reason for it having the darker cockpit frame.

I'l have to look for SN's post to see if I can find where he talked about it.

Lynn

Thanks for digging out those old threads for me.
I still don't understand how the same fighter in prime condition (without flakeing paint) appears in in the ESB section of the chronicycles. It's one of those standard ILM "black backdrop" pics. I guess it could be a coincidence that all the paint markings matches but it has the interceptor styled guns too. As far as I know no new Hero TIE models were built for ROTJ, just interceptors in different scales.

I soooooo wan't this to be an ESB model. I just love the way it looks.

Steve.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back