White Mandalorian Helmet - Complete

WhiteCommando

I did this for a buddy, it was a fun project...

lofty01.jpg

lofty02.jpg

lofty03.jpg

lofty04.jpg

lofty05.jpg

Later Guys,
John

Great, great paintjob. I hope I don't make myself out to sound like an idiot, but with the weathering and the subtle yellowing really make it look like metal. And if it is in fact metal, the more power to ya.

Many thanks. I appreciate all the compliments a lot. As noted, this is not a Fett, this is a McQuarrie-designed Mandalorian Super Trooper paint scheme that is from the very early pre-production renderings drawn in 1978. I believe Joe Johnston kind of took over the reigns and brushed aside McQuarrie's concept of a squad of these special troops (which were most likely veterans of the clone wars, perhaps even clones themselves).

The weathering was done as follows...
1. Prime
2. Wet-sand primer
3. Base coat metallic silver auto paint
4. Wet-sand paint
5. Clear coat metallic paint
6. Mask with Rubber cement
7. Paint 2nd coat with white auto paint
8. Clear coat over white paint
9. Remove masking agent (rubber cement) to reveal metallic paint
10. Wet sand again, then buff with slightly wet paper towels
11. Mask with torn pieces of masking tape, large areas covered
12. Use white paint pen (Testor's) and trace around metallic areas and re-cover parts to make it to appear as a re-paint
13. Wet sand smooth, then buff with slightly wet paper towels
13. Clear coat again, then mist with white and metallic super lightly for irregularity
14. Remove masking tape
15. Use Krylon Silver Leaf pen to apply tiny spots and scratches.
16. Dry brush Minwax on areas that would get discolored (bordering between paint and metal surfaces)...use sparingly and use something like the Provincial 209 Minwax stain...it is more blackish-brown than reddish-brown. My brush was tiny.
17. Then clearcoat again, but do not wet sand.
18. Add details like red triangle (or eyes)

The hardest part is the waiting between coats. This is my second attempt at a White Mandalorian. With time...skills improve, but we should maintain a sense of humility...again, thanks.

John

Originally posted by WhiteCommando@Mar 21 2006, 11:07 PM
I believe Joe Johnston kind of took over the reigns and brushed aside McQuarrie's concept of a squad of these special troops (which were most likely veterans of the clone wars, perhaps even clones themselves).
[snapback]1210669[/snapback]​

Ahh another classic Joe Johnston mistake.. I guess the guy just can't do anything right...

I love the helmet.. Awesome weathering job...... Now I want to see a completed costume

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back