Where Would The Predator Franchise Be Without Alien?

icyone

And where would Alien be without the Predator franchise?

Thanks to the comics and movies Alien and Predator are forever linked in the minds of fans and the general population.

What if the two franchises were not linked though? Do you think either one would be as popular or successful as they are today?

Personally I do not think so. Because of the history and crossover of both franchises, there tends to be a lot of fan crossover too. If someone is an Alien fan then they are very likely to be a fan of Predator too and vice versa. This is really good for both franchises.

Look at everything from video games, toys, and comics. The Dark Horse comics were responsible for the properties becoming linked.

Also because of Aliens and Predator crossing over, both franchises got a lot of development that might not have happened if they were separate. Most of what we know of the Predator culture and life comes from the AVP novels and comics for instance. We get to see things from their perspective.

Would this forum exist if the two franchises had not crossed over? Would you all be diehard fans if there was no crossover?

Not every pred-fan like the AVP movies/series......

And it's because of the movie Predator 2 what created the AVP world

I don't really care for the AVP movies, but I do like the comics and novels a lot.

I know that Predator 2 has the xenomorph skull in the trophy case, but I thought the AVP comics came before Predator 2. Wasn't the first AVP comic part of Dark Horse Presents in 1989?

Correct, the P2 had the alien skull but that was a nod to the Dark Horse Comics that had already been published a year or so earlier. They intended to make AVP after Alien 3 - I know because my mum's friend was going to be in charge of make up on it at the time and she talked about it (this is mid 90s - 10 years before the actual AVP movie came out). They ended up making Alien Resurrection instead, more is the pity.

Predator 2 itself was influenced by a lot of the preds character develoment that had occurred within the Pred's solo adventures in Dark Horse comics.

Predator 1 was a classic, but lets face it, Predator 2 was little more than a big budget b-movie. I own P2 and never watch it. It's a poor movie.

The whole P1 premise was that of a mysterious hunter from space who preyed on a group of elite soldiers in the jungle. P2 was a story of an ageing detective taking on a foe we knew all about. The mystery had gone.

Alien was always more 'blockbuster' and as a franchise was never in danger.

Had the whole Alien-Predator mix not come along, the Predator movies would have ended with the shabby P2.

I love the original AVP comic series & don't mind the movies.
After P2 the predator series died, same also with Alien Ressurection killing the Alien series.
AVP did ressurect both franchises, it wasn't a great movie by a long shot, but it did but both our belovebed creatures back into the spotlight again.
AVP-R and Predators followed, both ok.
Not what the diehard fan bases wanted and now we have Promrtheus next year.
Hopefully another Predator movie will be made soon, but not too sure after the so so reaction to Predators.
I am glad that Darkhorse did the crossover.
They can survive on there own, but teaming up has kept them alive and on the big screen.

Predator 1 was a classic, but lets face it, Predator 2 was little more than a big budget b-movie. I own P2 and never watch it. It's a poor movie.

The whole P1 premise was that of a mysterious hunter from space who preyed on a group of elite soldiers in the jungle. P2 was a story of an ageing detective taking on a foe we knew all about. The mystery had gone.

Alien was always more 'blockbuster' and as a franchise was never in danger.

Had the whole Alien-Predator mix not come along, the Predator movies would have ended with the shabby P2.

I really liked P2. More so than P1 even. To me it had a better overall story, although it obviously couldn't match the star power of P1.

I do agree that the film series would have probably died after Predator 2 though. The concept of AVP likely kept the interest of both franchises alive throughout the 90s and 2000s by combining the fanbases into one.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back