Where to begin?

Kyle138

So as the title implies I am wondering where to begin with this whole thing. I am completely ok with spending a lot of time and money on this because I know the end result will be worth it. But My main question is where would you guys recommend I start on beginning my costume. I have stalked this site for a long time and am always amazed at the quality of work with the suits. Anyways any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle 138

So as the title implies I am wondering where to begin with this whole thing. I am completely ok with spending a lot of time and money on this because I know the end result will be worth it. But My main question is where would you guys recommend I start on beginning my costume. I have stalked this site for a long time and am always amazed at the quality of work with the suits. Anyways any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well First off Hi, How are you? If you really have stalked awhile, you should know we consider it common courtesy to Introduce Ones Self first.
That being said, a pre-emptive welcome to the lair.

I would start with coming up with a concept, Do you want a P1? P2? AVP(Scar? Chopper? Celtic?) Wolf? Or A Lost Hunter? Or do you want to create your own design?
Once you do that, decide how much money you want to spend and how you will obtain all the pieces.

And as a general rule of thumb, If you want to post a topic, such a general topic can be quite infuriating to members who have been here for some time. I know the Moderators and several other members may not be as nice or helpful as I am being.

And where to start? Start with the Facemask in my opinion.

Dave

Well First off Hi, How are you? If you really have stalked awhile, you should know we consider it common courtesy to Introduce Ones Self first.
That being said, a pre-emptive welcome to the lair.

I would start with coming up with a concept, Do you want a P1? P2? AVP(Scar? Chopper? Celtic?) Wolf? Or A Lost Hunter? Or do you want to create your own design?
Once you do that, decide how much money you want to spend and how you will obtain all the pieces.

And as a general rule of thumb, If you want to post a topic, such a general topic can be quite infuriating to members who have been here for some time. I know the Moderators and several other members may not be as nice or helpful as I am being.

And where to start? Start with the Facemask in my opinion.

Dave

Yeah I figured I'd forget something. I guess I'm just nervous. I hate posting like this on forums. I always get shot down for little mistakes. Apologies. Any who I'm Kyle and I am just getting into prop making and sculpting. I do have a background with art so I hope that will help me a bit with all this. Thanks for the help with the game plan.

I was thinking it might be good to write up a Huntorial on organizing the costume-building process and getting started. So, I'll ask a few questions:

1. What kind of character are you making? As SpankyGNARKILL mentioned, you could do something from the original Predator movie, Predator 2, Alien vs. Predator (Scar, Celtic, or Chopper), or Aliens vs. Predator Requiem (like the Wolf Predator). You could even do something influenced by the comic books.
2. Where do you plan to show this costume? Is this for a science fiction convention, a Halloween costume contest, or for a prop collection?
3. Along with that, what is your timeline for completing the costume? (For example, someone who starts here in mid-September and asks about finishing a costume by Halloween is going to get a big shell shock.) How much spare time on evenings and weekends do you have to complete this costume?
4. What's your budget like? Do you have a lot of money to spend on materials and purchased pieces, or are you looking for lower-cost solutions?
5. What are your capabilities as far as sculpting, molding and casting, plastic and metal work, electronics, and so on? Are you interested in learning more?

I'm asking these questions not to be nosy or to cast doubt on your abilities. In fact, I'm thinking the opposite: How far do you want to go with your costume, and how do you want to plan it out?

Before you start, you should have an idea of what your character should look like, along with plenty of reference material (like the movies and the still pictures from them, or perhaps the action figures). There are a number of still shots in the Reference Material section of this site.

Generally with a Predator costume, you'll need to build the mask, including the dreadlocks; the biohelmet that covers the mask; the main bodysuit or skin; hands and feet; a couple other pieces of clothing such as the netting and the butt flap (huh-huh, he said "butt flap"); and several pieces of armor and weaponry. The armor includes the shoulder pieces (which differ between the original Predator movies and the AVP movies), the shin armor, thigh armor, and the codpiece. (A Predator never wants to get kicked in the junk.) Weapons include the wristblade gauntlet, the computer gauntlet, a backpack, possibly a plasma caster, a medikit, and maybe some of the later Predator weapons like throwing discs, spears, net casters, and stuff. Oh, and don't forget the dreadlock beads.

Wow, that's a lot of work. Don't worry, though, there are a lot of people around here who can help out, give advice, and point you in the right direction.

I am newbie as well, but not new to costuming. I know the HOURS of research it takes to do it RIGHT and the money you can save doing it right the FIRST time! I could school you for hours on Stargate, but I will defiantly need help here. And I will take my time and see who the best of the best is and go to them for parts till it takes shape. This is one costume you can not rush and need to plan in stages... Being said that, I am a total rookie to Predator. Yes I have seen every singhle movie, but do not know the details I need to yet...

I was thinking it might be good to write up a Huntorial on organizing the costume-building process and getting started. So, I'll ask a few questions:

1. What kind of character are you making? As SpankyGNARKILL mentioned, you could do something from the original Predator movie, Predator 2, Alien vs. Predator (Scar, Celtic, or Chopper), or Aliens vs. Predator Requiem (like the Wolf Predator). You could even do something influenced by the comic books.

Before you start, you should have an idea of what your character should look like, along with plenty of reference material (like the movies and the still pictures from them, or perhaps the action figures). There are a number of still shots in the Reference Material section of this site.

I been just reading for days... Is there a place here that breaks it down "Barney style" for us guys... Ya I know what P1, P2 Scar is, but who are they, what the differences are, how did Celtic get the name? Basics trivia to help answer those questions...?

I found the thread of the EXPERTS and who to get what from and found that to be VERY helpful! Even being a very experienced costumer this one is VERY advanced and can be overwhelming and I am sure for someone just getting into it this would not be the best choice as a first time costume, but if that is their wish who am I to say start out smaller?

Elkman, those are all great questions! I think new guys get so excited they just want all the answers NOW. We live in country where everything is just handed to use on daily basis, but unfortunately costuming is not one of them! Unless you win POWERBALL and just buy it all at once... :)

Generally with a Predator costume, you'll need to build the mask, including the dreadlocks; the biohelmet that covers the mask; the main bodysuit or skin; hands and feet; a couple other pieces of clothing such as the netting and the butt flap (huh-huh, he said "butt flap"); and several pieces of armor and weaponry. The armor includes the shoulder pieces (which differ between the original Predator movies and the AVP movies), the shin armor, thigh armor, and the codpiece. (A Predator never wants to get kicked in the junk.) Weapons include the wristblade gauntlet, the computer gauntlet, a backpack, possibly a plasma caster, a medikit, and maybe some of the later Predator weapons like throwing discs, spears, net casters, and stuff. Oh, and don't forget the dreadlock beads.

If I buy a Bio from one guy will it fit someone else mask later? What are the best steps or ORDER for build up for us new guys, these are the questions I am having already?

i had all the same questions you had STITCH. i had to learn just by being here for a good amount of time. reading old posts and every new post. when i first started i found it amazing how people could tell apart the different preds. now i am finding myself knowing the difference. just immerse yourself in it.

as for what bios fit what masks. there is info here and there but no definitive thread about it. your best bet is to find the bio or mask you love and to then ask the builder what fits it.

as for what bios fit what masks. there is info here and there but no definitive thread about it. your best bet is to find the bio or mask you love and to then ask the builder what fits it.

Just did that! LOL So I guess I am on track so far...

I've been in the Navy 20 years, just about to retire, and its like leaving an old squadron checking into new aircraft platform after 4 years, knowing what to do everyday and then all the sudden you still have the experience but KNOW nothing about the jet or how that outfit operates... :)

Its more frustrating the better you get, but its all part of being one the good ones at what we do... :eek:

BTW Kyle wasn't trying to take over your thread!

2. Where do you plan to show this costume? Is this for a science fiction convention, a Halloween costume contest, or for a prop collection?
3. Along with that, what is your timeline for completing the costume? (For example, someone who starts here in mid-September and asks about finishing a costume by Halloween is going to get a big shell shock.) How much spare time on evenings and weekends do you have to complete this costume?
4. What's your budget like? Do you have a lot of money to spend on materials and purchased pieces, or are you looking for lower-cost solutions?
5. What are your capabilities as far as sculpting, molding and casting, plastic and metal work, electronics, and so on? Are you interested in learning more?

I'm asking these questions not to be nosy or to cast doubt on your abilities. In fact, I'm thinking the opposite: How far do you want to go with your costume, and how do you want to plan it out?

Wow, that's a lot of work. Don't worry, though, there are a lot of people around here who can help out, give advice, and point you in the right direction.

1.I want to do a cross between Scar and Celtic. Scar's costume but using the Celtic's bio; well similar to his. I want the bio to have a skeletal feel.
2.Well I plan on showing maybe at a few cons and maybe Halloween (not this Halloween, just whenever I get it completed)
3. As stated above. I'm in no rush. I want to have a quality piece that I can be very proud of. I don't want something that is rushed and lacking in quality. I have plenty of time after work. I work part time so gots plenty of time.
4. Around a few thousand maybe more. I know It wont all be at one time so I'm sure I can pace myself on getting parts and whatnot.
5.Skills are a little lacking in the sculpting dept, but I draw a lot and have no problem there. I do work in a hardware store and have access to various materials and tools. As for the rest I am willing to learn and take criticisms and advice...so long as it be constructive.

No I don't think its nosy. I plan on going all the way with this. I want the best thing I know I can produce.

And your help Elkman is very much appreciated! Thanks man!

Kyle

Just did that! LOL So I guess I am on track so far...

I've been in the Navy 20 years, just about to retire, and its like leaving an old squadron checking into new aircraft platform after 4 years, knowing what to do everyday and then all the sudden you still have the experience but KNOW nothing about the jet or how that outfit operates... :)

Its more frustrating the better you get, but its all part of being one the good ones at what we do... :eek:

BTW Kyle wasn't trying to take over your thread!

No worries. I learned from your post. I could find my self asking the same question later. lol. Now I kinda know.

hello guys,

i thought i could get my 2cents into this for some advice...

1.for ideas to use for costumes, look in the completed suit section and ull get a feel of what a pred can and would look like, it really is a true inspiration.
costume link
2.use the who makes what tread for anything your looking for like bios,masks, etc,
link
3. a grand or more is a great start for a great pred costume, mine was around 2000 $ finshed, but with lots of my own work put in too,
4.it never hurts to ask qestions on items for sale as like the "will this bio fit this mask", im sure the seller will be more then happy to help,
5. you DONT need skills to do this, its really upto you how far you want togo, when i got here i started from the hommade suit to a pro suit,
i didnt know anything about how to attach this or that, and no clue on painting skin and using a airbrush, but i pushed myself
and learned it all, mostly with the help from the huntorials and asking great people here for help, check em out, and if your determined
im sure ull find what ur looking for, if you dont want to do stuff like painting or building for one reason or just cant then their is more then enough artist
here who will do it for a price,
6.always keep an eye out in the buy sell trade for sales, lots of times people sell good stuff really cheap.(please dont bring up old treads)
7. dont worry how well or professional suit can look, ITS YOUR SUIT, so dont forget its there to make you happy and nobodys should
tell you otherwise, one thing about a predator suit is youll always think of new stuff to add and take off, so it will only improve.

lastly dont get discouraged and have huge amounts of patients , the lair is ment for predator costuming so ask away and
looks everywhere... this site is full of info, some from two years ago, some from today, all very very helpfull and the people
arnt to bad either :) just kidding they are the best around !

have fun guys,

ernie

hello guys,

i thought i could get my 2cents into this for some advice...

1.for ideas to use for costumes, look in the completed suit section and ull get a feel of what a pred can and would look like, it really is a true inspiration.
costume link
2.use the who makes what tread for anything your looking for like bios,masks, etc,
link
3. a grand or more is a great start for a great pred costume, mine was around 2000 $ finshed, but with lots of my own work put in too,
4.it never hurts to ask qestions on items for sale as like the "will this bio fit this mask", im sure the seller will be more then happy to help,
5. you DONT need skills to do this, its really upto you how far you want togo, when i got here i started from the hommade suit to a pro suit,
i didnt know anything about how to attach this or that, and no clue on painting skin and using a airbrush, but i pushed myself
and learned it all, mostly with the help from the huntorials and asking great people here for help, check em out, and if your determined
im sure ull find what ur looking for, if you dont want to do stuff like painting or building for one reason or just cant then their is more then enough artist
here who will do it for a price,
6.always keep an eye out in the buy sell trade for sales, lots of times people sell good stuff really cheap.(please dont bring up old treads)
7. dont worry how well or professional suit can look, ITS YOUR SUIT, so dont forget its there to make you happy and nobodys should
tell you otherwise, one thing about a predator suit is youll always think of new stuff to add and take off, so it will only improve.

lastly dont get discouraged and have huge amounts of patients , the lair is ment for predator costuming so ask away and
looks everywhere... this site is full of info, some from two years ago, some from today, all very very helpfull and the people
arnt to bad either :) just kidding they are the best around !

have fun guys,

ernie

Thanks for all that advice and help Ernie! :eek:

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back