Where do you find these materials?

Well I got a new project underway. It's a tag/pin I am making that goes onto a uniform.
Anyway, I need to make my original model before I can mold and cast it. I am having the hardest time finding styrene sheets to start it.
I have gone to quite a few stores in the search of them in various thickness. That and molder's putty so I can fill in imperfections, etc.
I don't know where to go to get these things. And no one seems to know what the heck I am talking about when I ask. So I thought I better ask around here to see if anyone knew or had any advice.

Also, i know some brands that people use to bond their styrene sheets, however, being that I can't even find them to begin with, let alone the glue, I bought krazy glue to bond them once I do get them. Is this ok?

I just wanted to check on these things.
Any input, advice, whatever, would be great. Even if you have recommendations, suggestions, or anything of what to use for this project, or that you have found helpful, etc (like primer, tools, etc. I bought stuff already and everything, but I always like to hear other people's imput and what they like to use)

MUCH thanks in advance..

You shouldn't have any trouble finding these materials. Head to any hobby shop or model railroad shop. They will stock styrene sheets and strip shapes in a variety of sizes and thicknesses. Evergreen is one brand name.

When there, ask for a bottle of Tenax 7R and some advice on using it to bond the styrene. They will also have a variety of fillers and contour putties. You might also want to check out spot putty used in the automotive refinishing trade.

Good luck. You should find that styrene is a very nice material to work with.

Mdk

Originally posted by eightperf@Feb 26 2006, 11:01 PM
You shouldn't have any trouble finding these materials.  Head to any hobby shop or model railroad shop.  They will stock styrene sheets and strip shapes in a variety of sizes and thicknesses.  Evergreen is one brand name.

When there, ask for a bottle of Tenax 7R and some advice on using it to bond the styrene.  They will also have a variety of fillers and contour putties.  You might also want to check out spot putty used in the automotive refinishing trade.

Good luck.  You should find that styrene is a very nice material to work with.

Mdk
[snapback]1194466[/snapback]​

Thank you very much for the advice. I have tried a few hobby stores and they were clueless. However I just found a hobbytown USA that is in the area (oddly it's not on the offical website) so I plan on heading there to see what they have. There is also a mccallisters and a rchobbycenter in the area as well. I will check them out soon. Hopefully I will find what I am looking for. I was rather surprised that many of the hobby shops I visited had no idea what I was looking for.
And thank you very much for the suggestions I will definatly check that out :)

And I guess I should stock away the krazy glue huh? lol. :p

I'm glad you've found a Hobbytown USA in your area. The two in my area both carry these materials. It is strange that the shops you've been in have not had a clue, but that's the hobby biz...

By the way, I've got quite a bit of styrene scraps in various sizes and thicknesses left over from the R2-D2 replica I built last year. If you have any more trouble finding what you want let me know, it would be no big deal to toss some of these leftover materials in a padded envelop and toss it in the mail to you...

Regarding the Krazy glue: ACC adhesives like these can be used with styrene. The Tenax cement I'd mention creates a different type of bond, like a weld where parts are actually melted together. This is a much stronger bond, but the ACC glues will work nicely in many cases. Now, you really don't want to use the hardware store variety, so when at HobbyTown, ask about the various types of adhesives. You'll find very high quality ACC in a wide variety of thicknesses and setting speeds, as well as accelerators and de-bonders (just use acetone, carefully, for this).

Your project sounds interesting. If you have more questions, feel free to post, or simply PM me and we can take it off board...

Sincerely,
Marcus David Kraus

Thank you very much for the advice. I have tried a few hobby stores and they were clueless. However I just found a hobbytown USA that is in the area (oddly it's not on the offical website) so I plan on heading there to see what they have. There is also a mccallisters and a rchobbycenter in the area as well. I will check them out soon. Hopefully I will find what I am looking for. I was rather surprised that many of the hobby shops I visited had no idea what I was looking for.
And thank you very much for the suggestions I will definatly check that out :)

And I guess I should stock away the krazy glue huh? lol. :p
[snapback]1194480[/snapback]​
[/quote]

i used to always get my styrene from usplastics.com very fast delivery and cheap price for the sizes you can get.

First let me say welcome. Now, a little vocabulary to make sure you are looking in the right spot. Generally hobby shops means places like Hobby Lobby that sell model train supplies and remote control. Craft stores tend to mean places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby that sell stuff like flower arrangement and painting supplies.

Though the Hobbytown USA around here really doesn't sell stuff thick enough to make into a pin without multiple layers (in my opinion) so you might be better off looking online like the usplastics link posted.

I actually found everything I needed at hobbytown usa :):)
Yeah I tried many various craft and hobby stores because I was coming across nothing. hobby lobby and Michael's didn't have anything and neither did a lot of the stores around. So I made a little special trip, lol. I actually got exactly what I needed though :) So Now I can get down and dirty with my project... :) lol

Thank you very much everyone for your suggestions, they helped a lot.... :):)
And thank you for welcoming me :)

Originally posted by Kylash327@Feb 27 2006, 07:18 PM
i used to always get my styrene from usplastics.com very fast delivery and cheap price for the sizes you can get.
[snapback]1195185[/snapback]​

Thank you Kylash. I will keep that in mind :)
Is that a voltron icon? It's cool.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back