where can i get top grade resin and RTV silicone

LeMarchand

Sr Member
[EDIT]
It seems the offered supply of 'smooth on' products is very limited and/or 50% more expensive than over here in the Netherlands (where the price is already twice as high as in the states.....)

So, what are good alternatives. What are top grade casting resins and RTV silicons that can easily be bought in the UK. I have always used smooth-on resin and silicons with excellent results and would like casting supplies with a similar quality. I would like a resin that cures in that nice flat white color, not that light beige beige glossy surface a lot of the resin props i get from the UK look like....i hate that stuff.

Had a good supplier in the Netherlands who had the entire range of smooth-on products. Since i will be moving to the Uk next month i was wondering what good mailorder stores were to get the products.

thanks,

Marc

i live in the uk, i dont use smooth on products but i have a suppliers for most things.

www.tiranti.co.uk

really great site and great guys to deal with.

<div class='quotetop'>(LeMarchand @ Jun 13 2006, 08:28 AM) [snapback]1260899[/snapback]</div>
Had a good supplier in the Netherlands who had the entire range of smooth-on products. Since i will be moving to the Uk next month i was wondering what good mailorder stores were to get the products.

thanks,

Marc
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>(fettster @ Jun 13 2006, 08:49 AM) [snapback]1260903[/snapback]</div>
i live in the uk, i dont use smooth on products but i have a suppliers for most things.

www.tiranti.co.uk

really great site and great guys to deal with.

<div class='quotetop'>(LeMarchand @ Jun 13 2006, 08:28 AM) [snapback]1260899[/snapback]

thanks,

Marc
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
I'll second that, they give great advice as well

I use Tirantis for resin supplies and Bentley Chemicals for silicone and moulding supplies.

Both have great customer service and vast technical expertise..

Draven

<div class='quotetop'>(Sidewinder @ Jun 13 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]1261157[/snapback]</div>
I use:

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk

Used to use Tiranti but they put their prices up.

SAS
[/b]

I use CFS as well, they keep expanding their portfolio and are friendly & helpful. Latest RTV is a revelation. Using fast catalyst pot life is only 15 minutes, but they state (and it's actually true) you can demould safely in 2 hours.

<div class='quotetop'>(Blad @ Jun 14 2006, 12:58 AM) [snapback]1261338[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Sidewinder @ Jun 13 2006, 07:53 PM) [snapback]1261157[/snapback]
I use:

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk

Used to use Tiranti but they put their prices up.

SAS
[/b]

I use CFS as well, they keep expanding their portfolio and are friendly & helpful. Latest RTV is a revelation. Using fast catalyst pot life is only 15 minutes, but they state (and it's actually true) you can demould safely in 2 hours.
[/b][/quote]

CFS is where ive always gone. Very helpful, good prices, what else could you ask for

Nathan :)

Try Scott Bader:

http://www.scottbader.com/pub.nsf

Prices tend to be a bit less than Tiranti but they don't do the smaller quantity Silicones.
They sell good quality resins also.
I'd avoid the smooth-on stuff as it's quite pricey although it's generally pretty decent stuff - does tend to be inconsistent as far as the quality is concerned.
If you can find a cheaper supplier than Tiranti the GE silicones are the absoloute best as far as I'm concerned.

Anson

*EDIT*
I've just been to the Sott Bader website and it looks as though they've stopped manufacturing Silicone Rubber - give thwm a call though - I could be wrong.

im really getting sick of cfs

they changed rtv suppliers and left me with silicone i couldnt cure, now they have changed rtv suppliers AGAIN and left me with catalyst i cant use. TWATS.

plus the cost of postage is a lottery.

there is also a 75% chance what you order from cfs wont be what you get (eg if you order 4 dozen 1inch brushes you WILL get 12 4inch brushes.)TWATS.

tiranti resin is good cfs resin is horrible

cfs=twats
tiranti=good guys

<div class='quotetop'>(zorg @ Jun 14 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]1261572[/snapback]</div>
im really getting sick of cfs

they changed rtv suppliers and left me with silicone i couldnt cure, now they have changed rtv suppliers AGAIN and left me with catalyst i cant use. TWATS.

plus the cost of postage is a lottery.

there is also a 75% chance what you order from cfs wont be what you get (eg if you order 4 dozen 1inch brushes you WILL get 12 4inch brushes.)TWATS.

tiranti resin is good cfs resin is horrible

cfs=twats
tiranti=good guys
[/b]

You can use any catalyst from CFS with RTV, green, red, doesn't make any difference.

I have to pay for shipping via international hazardous chemicals anyway, so makes no differnce to me who supplies it's ALL too expensive.

Anyway (as my wife would say) Tiranti smells and their mum dresses them funny. ;)

My biggest beef with Tiranti is their excessive shipping costs. Having said that, their product is excellent, and their customer service is very good, which is almost worth the high prices these days.

For anyone in or near London, I would recommend visiting the Tiranti shop, or the 4D model shop, which is an Aladdin's Cave for any prop builder. Except Aladdin's cave was free :angel

<div class='quotetop'>(Sidewinder @ Jun 14 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]1261681[/snapback]</div>
Say what you mean Zorg, don't hide behind inuendo and hyperboly.

SAS
[/b]

:lol

im tired of tiptowing around forums not trying to offend.

form now on if your a twat then your gonna get called one.

im 34 for ****** sake

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back