Where can I get hollow plastic domes / spheres?

sswift

I need some hollow plastic domes, up to around 1' in diameter, and around 1/8" to 1/4" thick. And I need them to fit snugly inside one another. Does anyone have any idea where I could find something like that?

Also, if I were to have to fabricate something like that myself, does anyone have any suggestions for how to go about it in a manner which would allow me to create the specific diameters I need with tight tolerances and without resorting to creating huge silicone molds?

zorg

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
heres a tutorial i made up a while back.

i dont know if it will work out with the thickness you want though.

but here it is anyway.

-z

sswift

That looks like a good technique for making eyes, but I'm not sure that would work well for domes of the size and tolerances I need.

sswift

Robn:
Yeah, that's the same site I just linked to. I don't think they would work for my needs. I need multiple hemispheres which fit inside eachother snugly. I don't think their domes are round enough or made to tight enough tolerances.

sswift

Damn, those Plastruct hemispherical domes sound like exactly what I need, but they're half the size I need.

madmanmoe64

Vacuum forming is definitely the best way to make plastic hemispheres. It's unlikely that you'll find somewhere that stocks such large domes in 1/4" size increments.

Your best best is to see if you can contact a company similar to those above and get some custom domes made.

Or make your own formers and try to get access to a vacuum forming machine, some people here will have access to one, it's just finding someone willing and close enough that shipping doesn't get out of hand.