Where can I get hollow plastic domes / spheres?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by sswift, Nov 30, 2011.

1. sswift

sswift Active Member

I need some hollow plastic domes, up to around 1' in diameter, and around 1/8" to 1/4" thick. And I need them to fit snugly inside one another. Does anyone have any idea where I could find something like that?

Also, if I were to have to fabricate something like that myself, does anyone have any suggestions for how to go about it in a manner which would allow me to create the specific diameters I need with tight tolerances and without resorting to creating huge silicone molds?

2. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

heres a tutorial i made up a while back.

i dont know if it will work out with the thickness you want though.

but here it is anyway.

[​IMG]

-z

3. sswift

sswift Active Member

That looks like a good technique for making eyes, but I'm not sure that would work well for domes of the size and tolerances I need.

4. robn1

robn1 Master Member

5. sswift

sswift Active Member

6. sswift

sswift Active Member

Robn:
    Yeah, that's the same site I just linked to. I don't think they would work for my needs. I need multiple hemispheres which fit inside eachother snugly. I don't think their domes are round enough or made to tight enough tolerances.

7. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Sr Member

Have you tried Plastruct, Inc. - Home

I'm not sure what all sizes the have, but that's where a lot of people have gotten their training remote parts from.

8. robn1

robn1 Master Member

The Plastruct domes only go up to about 6in or so.

9. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Sr Member

Oops. Just re-read the 1st post. Was thinking 1" in diameter not 1'. lol

10. sswift

sswift Active Member

*, those Plastruct hemispherical domes sound like exactly what I need, but they're half the size I need.

11. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i read 1" also

forget my tutorial :lol

just as well he wasn't wanting a Stonehenge replica!

12. madmanmoe64

madmanmoe64 Well-Known Member

Vacuum forming is definitely the best way to make plastic hemispheres. It's unlikely that you'll find somewhere that stocks such large domes in 1/4" size increments.

Your best best is to see if you can contact a company similar to those above and get some custom domes made.

Or make your own formers and try to get access to a vacuum forming machine, some people here will have access to one, it's just finding someone willing and close enough that shipping doesn't get out of hand.