Where can I find those Waterworld Signal Pistols?

Andymac84

Sr Member
Where can I find those signal pistols from Waterworld?
Based on imfdb.org "A Type 90 Signal Pistol is used as a Shotgun Pistol by a Smoker during the raid on the Atoll." And a Webley & Scott WWI: "The Deacon (Dennis Hopper) and his henchmen, fire Webley signal Pistols into the air."

Any help is much appreciated.

Oh...no.. Even saw one on gunbroker and it says: "Japanese type 90 Triple barrel flare pistol. The Holy Grail of Flare pistols. This is the second type with only about 3400 made. Most of which went to the bottom of the ocean when there ships were sunk.Only a few survived and made it to the US."

I liked the futuristic look of it in the movie. Didn't know that they've used WWI and WWII guns in the production.. reminds me on Star Wars

Besides of the price tag of the type 90 (the Webley/ Schermuly is pretty common and affordable IMHO), you´ll need a WBK to purchase a flaregun in OR have one imported to germany. :(

So you should look for already demilled ones (sent you a PM ;)), since HAVING one deactivated can be a nightmare!

p.s: You are aware, that the brass Webley/ Schermuly is definately NOT the one used by Dennis Hopper in the screenshot you posted!?
His is looking more like a german WW2 (walther?) flarepistol I have in mind...check the straight fat barrel and the large sling loop at the grips.

Markus

Last edited:
I'm not sure that's a type 90 triple. the barrel configuration is wrong. It's 2 on the bottom and one on top. And I can say, having used one on a low budget flick, they are not easily "modified" as the page says.

Almost looks like they took a double barrel and added a third underneath. But since it's a break open, that doesn't make sense either. Hmm. Might have to watch the film again to see that pistol from another angle.

Ok, surfed over to you tube and watched a clip of the battle on the atoll. It's not a signal pistol. It's a housing around a single barreled pistol, probably a revolver since it fires twice from the same single barrel, which you can kind of see inside the housing.

I screen capped it, and even though it's low resolution, you can see it.

waterworld1.jpgwaterworld2.jpgwaterworld3.jpg

Besides of the price tag of the type 90 (the Webley/ Schermuly is pretty common and affordable IMHO), you´ll need a WBK to purchase a flaregun in OR have one imported to germany. :(

So you should look for already demilled ones (sent you a PM ;)), since HAVING one deactivated can be a nightmare!

p.s: You are aware, that the brass Webley/ Schermuly is definately NOT the one used by Dennis Hopper in the screenshot you posted!?
His is looking more like a german WW2 (walther?) flarepistol I have in mind...check the straight fat barrel and the large sling loop at the grips.

Markus

My main goal would be the triple barrel one.. I maybe can do one for myself if I find some good parts to do it. Thanks Markus for the Walther tip:thumbsup will check those out. They're indeed different in shape and colouring.

I'm not sure that's a type 90 triple. the barrel configuration is wrong. It's 2 on the bottom and one on top. And I can say, having used one on a low budget flick, they are not easily "modified" as the page says.

Almost looks like they took a double barrel and added a third underneath. But since it's a break open, that doesn't make sense either. Hmm. Might have to watch the film again to see that pistol from another angle.

It was probably the camera but If I remind correctly...wasn't the one from Nord (the blonde guy) circling the barrel clockwise after shooting the prisoner?? But as you said, it might be a modified double shooter or even a single barrel with attached 2 barrels upon it.

My main goal would be the triple barrel one.. I maybe can do one for myself if I find some good parts to do it. Thanks Markus for the Walther tip:thumbsup will check those out. They're indeed different in shape and colouring.

Maybe you could have someone do it with a 3d printer?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back