Whats the best way to paint Neoprene?

Icarus121

Hey everyone,

I'm sure this has already been discussed in other threads, but I figured I'd ask anyways. I'm working on my first costume and I'm using a neoprene wetsuit as the base of my Dead Space suit. I wish I knew about this site before I ordered the wetsuit, I probably would have gone a different route, but now I kind of feel like I have to commit to what I got since I bought it already.

The suit is made with Smooth Skin Neoprene with a SCS silicone coating. I was really looking for the smooth look and felt that it would be easier to work with and the suit was very close to the look that I was shooting for. I'm looking for a flexible paint that would not only match the look of the suit, but also wouldn't crack or hurt the material.

Any suggestions on what the best kind of flexible paint and protective coatings I should use?

What if you spray it down with plastiDip? There are flexible paints for the auto industry as well that should flex. Id test it out on a scrap piece to experiment first.

I looked into Psycho Paint which I thought would be perfect, but I got worried when I saw a "Thin layers of paint can be then be applied to a model's surface (made of Dragon Skin®, Ecoflex® or other platinum silicone". Will the paint and solvents ruin the suit or will it be safe?
http://www.smooth-on.com/tb/files/Psycho_Paint_TB.pdf

Yeah it's the only thing I can think would work. Best advise I can give is see if you can get a small sample and try it out in a place where your armor will be covering so if it does have any unwanted effect it wont matter.

Okay that sounds like my best option, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy some Psycho Paint and test it out. I'll give updates and let you know how it turns out.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back