Whats the best way to attache canon to arm????

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

keefer

Hey all,

I am in the process of making my own canon arm, and am trying to figure out the best way to connect it to my canon....so that the canon can rotate, and especially so that it will not fall off or break from the arm. How have those of you with canons mounted them? I could see it being easy if there was a way for me to get a bolt from the inside of the canon out, but I see no way to get inside this thing. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

This is what I'm talkin about....it should be as easy as having a bolt or something along those lines coming out of the base of the canon, but I dont see how I can get one in there without and serious cutting. Obviously I will be drilling a hole in the base of the canon....

canarm1.jpg

This is what I am thinking would do the trick....but how to get the bolt in there from the inside??? Pardon the crude pic!!!!

boltcanon.jpg

canarm2.jpg

Again...any ideas greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks

canarm1.jpg

boltcanon.jpg

canarm2.jpg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

CalPred1

I used gap filling glue. Get some rough sand paper and score both the bottom of the cannon and the top of the arm. It's very secure.

Davidian

I'll toss this out there. Goto home depot buy a "Barrel Nut". Drill holes in both the cannon and the base mount that are to size of the barrel. From there cut a small slot leading away from the hole. The slot should be 1/3 or less than the diameter of the hole. The slot should meet up with another slot that is perpendicular in direction. This slot should be as long as the diameter of the nut head. In the end it should look like a capital letter T sitting on a O like this:

T
O

Where the T actually leads into the O. Assembly would be as follows,
1. drill holes and cut slots.
2. assemble barrel nut and insert into cannon.
3. super/hot/epoxy glue barrel nut in place on cannon (your choice)
4. insert exposed half of barrel nut into base mount
Note: Don't glue the barrel to the base, unless you don't want the cannon to spin.

Now this process is based on the assumtion that the cannon and the base mount are both flexible and hollow (plastic). If they aren't then I would suggest looking up "Tee Nut" in www.mcmaster.com. You can hammer a Tee Nut into both the cannon and the mount and then use a set screw to lock them in place. Screw down till almost tight then back off a single 360 rotation. I doubt you will need more than a single 360 spin in your range of motion.

Hope this helps.
Davidian