whats the best spray frosting?

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

andy19422

Sr Member
I am planning on doing a run of Stargate Universe wall lights and I need to know what's the best way of frosting the shells. It will have to be a spray finish due to the shape of them and that's how the screen used ones were done. Can anyone recommend a decent product that works on plastic.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

trekriffic

Sr Member
For small clear styrene bits like bussard domes I found that Floquil Flat Finsh works great. You'll find it in the Railroad colors display rack. I dob it on thick and swirl it around by twirling the piece in my fingers so it dries evenly.
Here's a comparison pick between Floquil on the right and Dullcote on the left:

Near as I can tell it's enamel based so it takes hours to dry which is the only downside.

andy19422

Sr Member
Thanks for the replies guys, looking at the prop again I am wondering if it's frosting at all. After doing some searching I see you can get transparent colours. Tamiya make them for painting polycarbonate RC car bodies, although I can't see a white on their list. Jacquard also make them plus a few other companies.