Whats the *best* adhesive

sparrowed

For attaching metal to fimo??? Super hold!!! ;)

I'm pretty handy with a glue gun, but in no way do i want to use it for this project.

Any suggestion/recommendations???

What kind of metal? Aluminum is entirely different then say painted steel...

I would suggest either a urethane (Gorilla Glue) or 2 part epoxy, JB weld works well and bonds better to aluminum then most other generic epoxies...

You can also go with a cyanoacrylate glue (aka crazy/super glue) but I would avoid the supermarket flavors and get the superior grade ones from a model shop...

the worlds strongest adhesive is tamiya paint in the little bottles.

trying to get those lids off is a nightmare!

-z

For attaching metal to fimo??? Super hold!!! ;)

I'm pretty handy with a glue gun, but in no way do i want to use it for this project.

Any suggestion/recommendations???

What's Fimo? EDIT: a composite clay? I've never worked with it, but would the clay be cured and solid?

The types of surfaces really dictate the type of glue, but I find that E6000 will bond virtually anything that's not silicone or rubber.

Fimo is a crafting clay - I'd probably use CA for that project. I bet that the Fimo would break before the glue bond would.

Id try using a two part rapid setting adhesive, in the UK we have 60 second ARALDITE, but it does depend on your surfaces, its well worth keying up any shiny surfaces first. Saying that I find that super glue sticks like **** to pewter metal!

prop makers

Not to hijack the thread - but what;s best for ABS resin? I have a chair (as well as some props) that needs something that will actually weld the plastic. Plasti-weld (two-part by LocTite) didn't do squat: the joint popped and the adhesive was a separarte piece that chipped off.

I´d say any contact cement should work, classic application onto both parts, let glue dry, put together applying a good amount of pressure and you´re good. Try to remove it and you´ll see your fimo crumble before the glue itself gives.

ABS resin????

Those aren't really two things that ever make anything I know of.

There are polyester or epoxy resins and ABS plastic. Unless you are talking some 3D printing material.

What you're gluing and prep is nearly as important as the type glue you use.

So what do you really have?

Pics?

There is specific ABS glue that will "solvent-weld" them. Meaning it melts them together.

Probably the best glue for Resins is the good grade CA glues. Jet, SuperJet, or UltraJet. Just not the supermatket brand.

Mic,

My bad (my foot tastes like cheese, thank you). The item I want to glue-weld is your normal, garden-variety plastic lawn chair - I think they are injection-molded, made right here in the USA - that you see at Home Depot, Lowe's, Wal-Mart, etc. for about $16 a pop.

I realize a person has to know what the material is they are trying to bond; thing is, how do you do that? I have other stuff as well - resin (I think) faux-stone garden statues; what's the best way to figure out what the material is?

Granted, a lawn chair is easy to replace (although the specific pattern I have isn't available), but the garden statues aren't.

Should I bump this into a new thread? I don't want to derail the OP.

I can post pics of both.

(But I probably won't live down the "ABS resin" flub any time soon :( ).

ABS resin????

Those aren't really two things that ever make anything I know of.

There are polyester or epoxy resins and ABS plastic. Unless you are talking some 3D printing material.

What you're gluing and prep is nearly as important as the type glue you use.

So what do you really have?

Pics?

There is specific ABS glue that will "solvent-weld" them. Meaning it melts them together.

Probably the best glue for Resins is the good grade CA glues. Jet, SuperJet, or UltraJet. Just not the supermatket brand.

Amazing GOOP will bond almost anything to almost anything. Concrete to wood, plastic to metal, etc. $4 at Walmart in the plumbing aisle. (y)thumbsup

Thanks all! What I need to bond is a FIMO/PREMO silver oven bake clay base onto a brass metal
candleholder stem (my OST chalice).

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back