What would be the best way to mirror chrome this toy?

In a bold move, they metallized a rubber sword accessory. Wouldn't it crinkle on the first flex? I admire their gumption.

Depending on the rubber stiffness, vacuum metalizing is so thin that with minimal bending, it will only get micro cracks, that are barley noticeable.
For the American version of Masked Rider we had Count Dregon's helmet metalized and it was made of a urethane rubber. Even after a season of shooting it still looked pretty good. You could clearly see where it was being bent (to put it on, you had to flex it, hence the reason for it being rubber) but it held up much better than I expected.
Side note: The chest and belt plate where also vacuum metalized and I think the gauntlet pieces where fabricated in aluminum and polished.
1583324807660.png
IMG_5209.JPG

I say that aerosol from MG that was used in some YouTube videos. Seems like the best way to get a smooth coating on the part. Anyone tried it?
If you mean the MG Chemicals Total Ground carbon conductive spray I’ve tried it (still have it) and it didn’t work. If you’ve a link to any videos that did I’d like to take a look and see what I was doing wrong.

This video seems to get good results, but every review for this particular kit is horrible. I ordered the spray and also the kit (the bottles leaked slightly, no surprise there).

And here’s the video I was referring to:

Looks to be silver nitrate. One issue I have had with this technique, is unless the top coat is very good, and impervious to oxygen, the silver nitrate discolors over time (5-10 years)
I used a 2k clear coat with a gold tint over the nitrate, I have no idea about the longevity of it but I can't imagine it being an issue. I used 3 coats so it should be well sealed.

This video seems to get good results, but every review for this particular kit is horrible. I ordered the spray and also the kit (the bottles leaked slightly, no surprise there).

And here’s the video I was referring to:
Thanks, I have a feeling I’m going to struggle to watch that video - looks Like the kind of guy who says ‘today we gonna look real quick at [10 minutes of waffle, remember to subscribe mash that like and notification button before getting to topic] So let’s jump right in!

On the plus side that’s a different paint to the one I was using so it’s probably worth a shot

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back