what type of glue for rubber armor to lycra bodysuit??

takevin

Sr Member
I had to change out a bodysuit and need to mount some rubber armor to my thigh area. This costume was in a movie, and they had glued and sewed around the edges also which I want to do to. What type of glue would be the best, quickest to dry? I assume that I would have to wear it for a bit till adhesion occurs. thankyou

I know the best stuff to use, but dang it. I can't remember the name of it. :cry
What I CAN tell you is that it comes in an orange can and you can buy it at Walmart. It's a type of rubber contact cement meant for gluing down tiles. I THINK it's called Dap. I've worked with it before for the same pourpose and it works great and dries very fast.

I glued some latex body armor to a 0.5mm wetsuit with rubber cement formulated for wetsuit repairs. I used a couple of different rubber cements before I tried this & none of them held up. The stuff I bought at the dive shop is still holding well & was easy enough to apply by myself. Make sure you do it in a well ventilated area because the fumes can get to you.

Another thing you can use is liquid latex. I've made costume parts from latex and then used it to "glue" them in place on clothing and leather gloves. Here's an example:

[attachmentid=8377]

Hope this helps. :)

Richard

Whats up Funky Jedi... Have you found out the name to the kind of glue that this will work..im having the same trouble myself..Ive tried some other kind of a rubber cement and it wouldnt hold

I just used some stuff called Mighty Mendit to redo my Deadpool mask, I actually wore the bodysuit, and glued the eyespots on while I was wearing the mask to make sure it dried in place, lol. I don't know where you'd get it, it's like super-glue crossed with rubber cement, I clean carpets and we had it in the shop for repairing carpet backing, lmao. I needed something that would glue spandex to spandex, but I also glue some red spandex to the grips of my works, and into the fabric portions of my SWAT boots with the stuff, it worked like a charm. When I took the mask off I had to peel it off my face, lol, but what're you gonna do. When it dried I stitched some of the weak spots for extra security, here's a pic of the final product. I got pics of the whole project in my Deadpool gallery.

Shoe Goo! Similar product is E6000. It's flexible and non-corrosive and sheer brilliance. I use it to glue latex pieces together and to other materials. And to make over shoes.

Shoe Goo! Similar product is E6000. It's flexible and non-corrosive and sheer brilliance. I use it to glue latex pieces together and to other materials. And to make over shoes.

That wouldn't be like Goop contact adhesive, would it? Very similar to the old Pliobond cements, smells like model glue, can get you higher than a kite, but will stick anything to anything.

I make my replica battery boxes out of that stuff. The longer it cures, the stronger it gets. In fact, if I make a mistake, I have to take a hammer to the part in question and break the bond.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back