what to use silicone or ure coat?

charliesg22

Im making a tentacle that needs to be able to move and last for 3 years... will be hitting the floor many times a day. its currently a scaff pole cut into joins which will then be built up with wadding and covered with nylon tights then want a protective layer that looks like skin.
I have decided on either ure coat, plasti dip or silicone, (was originally thinking latex but dont think it will last)
Has anyone sceniced ontop of plastidip before, if so what would you recommend to paint with and would you seal the paint after? Any opinions on what people think would work better would be amazing.
Thanks so much!

3 Comments

Comment

Urecoat is great for a flexible, thin, outer coat, but I wouldn't consider it for a 3 year beating. I wouldn't count on anything surviving a 3 year beating, but an Eco-Flex might be your best choice.

Make sure no sharp edges on the inner skeleton.

Keep your molds, you will prolly need to break them out again. There are paints you can use, or you could just make the mold in the color you want. There are paints you can apply to curing silicone that become part of the silicone if applied close to cure time (like if you want to add freckles or other detail). I'd call Reynolds Materials for an expert opinion.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back