what to make my armor out of?

backbone

hey guys, i dont know what to make my armor out of that is cheap and light weight. i was thinking cardboard, but it just doesnt cut it with being smooth.what do you guys thinki should make the armor out of?

hey guys, i dont know what to make my armor out of that is cheap and light weight. i was thinking cardboard, but it just doesnt cut it with being smooth.what do you guys thinki should make the armor out of?

I use homer buckets from home depot and a heat gun, and craft foam for accents, layers and extra details. Seems to be working pretty good for me.

thanks guys, this will help alot. is there any thig that i should cver the foamies to paint, or should i just paint them?

I would go with black foamies personally for making armor. I made the mistake of making some of mine with colored foamies and while for the first night of wearing my pred suit it was fine but afterward there were lots of spots that were worn and I could see blue/green/red through under some of the silver paint and with black foamies those areas would just look worn..just my 2 cents eheh. Also sintra sign plastic is amazing to make the armor out of if you can get your hands on some. And make sure you go to the sticky in this section by vinman to check out his armor templates they are awesome that's how I made mine. Here's a link to my progress thread http://www.thehunterslair.com/index.php?showtopic=20323 so you can see what I came up with using sintra and foamies along with vinman's templates and some I made on my own. I'd definitely try to go the extra mile on the head though I feel like that's the make or break part of a suit. Goodluck man

thanks guys, this will help alot. is there any thig that i should cver the foamies to paint, or should i just paint them?

I find it easiest and cheapest to coat the foamies with white glue and let it cure before painting. It stiffens them up and protects/gives a better surface to paint on

yet again, i can rely on my clan members, i am using the templates by vinman and i printed 2 copies and made a paper model, now im going to use the other copy make the finished product.

I myself am using cardboard, covered in paper mache, and it seems to be working so far. It's light weight and fairly sturdy. I'm also planning on coating it with something(Plastidip, glue, or sealant) to make it smoother and more water resistant. That's another option.

It may not be SUPER cheap, but it's an idea. Use foam and the templates, then cover with fiber glass, which you can get from home depot for around $40.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back