What to do with a Mark English Phaser--any value?

maxspr1

Tghis is NOT a for sale thread--I'm just asking for advice and ideas.

I'm seriously uncluttering my life, which includes letting go of some props I've had in my collection for years. One prop that I have absolutely no idea how to deal with is a Mark English Star Trek phaser 2 that I got in the '90s.

IMG_0240_zpsc18049a7.jpg

Backstory:
In the early to mid '90s, I met a couple of original prop collector guys at a convention. We started talking and I mentioned I had a fledgling collection going (some screen-used Buck Rogers, BSG and Seaquest items). We started talking holy grails, and I told them that my favorite prop of all time was the Star Trek phaser 2 (specifically the midgrade version, but no one really called it that back then that I can recall). One of the guys (Bob) told me that originals turned up once in a while in the Profiles in History auctions. I was such a noob that I hadn't really studied the Phaser 2 in detail enough to know what was real or fake and didn't know much about Hollywood auctions or the questionable nature of PIH items, especially vintage Star Trek items. I was also self-employed and often had some serious lean times where my collections went stagnant while I tried to pay bills. Anyway, during one of these lean times a Phaser 2 came up in a PIH auction (Collectors Ransom 5) along with a Phaser 1 and a communicator. Bob (who spent a lot on his prop collecting) won all three and offered to do a trade deal with me for some cash and some primo BSG props. I REALLY wanted to have a set-used/screen-used phaser prop, so I jumped on the deal. One note: back then original prop prices were SIGNIFICANTLY lower than they are now. I had a little cash, and Star Trek TOS meant more to me than Galactica. I was also able to compare my phaser to the black and white one in the temporary Smithsonian exhibit(which HAD to be legit, right?) and it matched in body shape, construction, materials, that awful yellowed epoxy. It really looked old and definitely had some details that seemed legit that other replica makers hadn't done, like the velcro and hand painted colors and tail fins that were molded in and didn't stick out...I felt good about my new acquisition!

Flash forward a few years...information about all the Mark English fake Star Trek props started coming out, along with a lot of actual info and photos of real legitimate props (like Greg Jein's hero). Doesn't take long for me to figure out that my phaser is one of the Mark English fakes and that PIH didn't do a very good job with the provenance (surprise, surprise). My phaser matches every known tell-tale of the Mark English "replicas" and pretty much none of the hallmarks of the real deals. Crap. Also, by the time I've figured all this out, sadly, Bob (the guy who won it originally and traded it to me) had died. He kept promising to get me the paperwork, but he never did. All I had was a fake phaser and a Profiles catalog with a matching picture of the darned thing. I was screwed.

So...now I've had this thing for almost twenty years, wondering what to do with it. I don't know how to sell it or how much it might actually be worth in the prop collecting market (nothing?). It's historically infamous in the prop world, but without any real provenance I'm now in the weird position of not being able to prove what kind of fake phaser I have! Ugh. All i know is that I feel like an idiot for getting it in the first place and I get bummed out every time I see it. I have too much stuff and not enough room for my legitimate screen/set-used prop collection, so it's time for me to get serious about getting rid of this thing.

Any ideas or advice? What I'd really like to know is does anyone think this thing has any actual collectible value and if so, what's the best avenue for selling it? Has anyone ever sold one of these before (knowingly that is...I think a lot of people have UNknowingly sold and bought ME fakes over the years)? I'd love to hear any tips anyone has or thoughts. I could do without comments like "you can just give it to me" or "just throw it in the trash..." :)

thanks!

IMG_0255_zps1c27330e.jpgIMG_0257_zpse6ed3d51.jpgIMG_0241_zps59cb31ac.jpgIMG_0248_zpsedd23c1a.jpg
IMG_0245_zps6d41b1ad.jpgIMG_0252_zpse6b44ae1.jpgIMG_0259_zps9642a856.jpgIMG_0262_zps1d9bea38.jpg
IMG_0265_zpsa3fa5bfc.jpg

I would like to think that as long as you disclose what it really is, selling it would be acceptable. Except the value wouldn't be particularly high, needless to say.

However, some jack wagon would probably use the PIH info and try to pass it off again to some unsuspecting person.

I don't see an easy answer, really. If it were mine I'd rehab it into a nice mid grade.......and somebody could cry foul over that, too, I suppose.

Thanks, dbuck! I'm going to try eBay (with full disclosure, of course) and see what happens, but I just don't know what to ask for, so I may end up stuck with this for another 20 years!

Famous fakes are actually collectible now. I would not be surprised if you get what you paid for it back in the day.

There is a market for ME's, it is a part of history.

Like you said, be honest, and put it on the bay

I agree, a lot of famous fakes are worth a lot, and this is certainly a very famous fake with a great back story of going thru a PIH auction. It wont fetch anywhere near what an original would, but I'd gladly take it off your hands for $20! :lol

I think dbuck has a point. I realize it's tempting to unload the piece, especially if there's a market for famous fakes, but I'd be a little concerned that some future buyer down the line might try to claim it's original. PIH wouldn't fall for it though, given that two of the people who authenticate Trek items for them are John Long and Greg Jein. Try and use your best judgment.

:lol Actually PIH's track record on fakes is not too good, and greg has been fooled by ME's before :lol

PIH wouldn't fall for it though, given that two of the people who authenticate Trek items for them are John Long and Greg Jein. Try and use your best judgment.

Actually PIH's track record on fakes is not too good, and greg has been fooled by ME's before
That was many, many years ago. It might surprise you to hear this, but he's smart enough to learn from experience. To imply as you do that GJ is some kind of bonehead because he "was fooled" maybe 20 years ago is wrong, unproductive, and unfairly disparaging of someone with one of the best reputations in the business.

I "Implied" nothing of the sort. :wacko

Stop making foolish and outlandish assumptions :rolleyes

That was many, many years ago. It might surprise you to hear this, but he's smart enough to learn from experience. To imply as you do that GJ is some kind of bonehead because he "was fooled" maybe 20 years ago is wrong, unproductive, and unfairly disparaging of someone with one of the best reputations in the business.

It would do well as long as you disclose what it is.
I have seen them fetch $2500 - $4000 when the biding get's heated.
ME has an infamous reputation but that does not make it worthless....it is just worth less than an original prop from the show is all. Collectors will collect and pay for what they want.
Give it a go and see what happens.

I "Implied" nothing of the sort. :wacko

Stop making foolish and outlandish assumptions :rolleyes

Wow. Now I'm an outlandish fool? Please get a handle on your emoticons. We're all adults here.

Anyway, back to the topic (I apologize for the distraction), I agree - you will be fine if you disclose honestly. I've thought about it some more, and I think it's not fair to have to hold it back because some hypothetical downstream buyer might one day misrepresent it. You shouldn't have to punish yourself because someone screwed you. Sell, disclose, enjoy.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back