What to do with a Human Glass Eye

Jedimom

I had cancer at age 10 months which necessitated the removal of my left eye. I now have an artifical eye.

I do have an older one that is worn out (so to speak). I have often wanted ot get it re-done somehow to make it part of a costume piece. However, I never knew exactly what to do or how to seal it back up again so it would not irritate my eye socket.

Any ideas as to what to do?

Artifical eyes are NOT made form glass anymore and they are not round like a marble. Mine is made to fit my eye socket (custom made)

This is a pic of my current eye (not the one I want to re-do but similar)

Any ideas?

eyeball.jpg

First thing to come to mind is a terminator:
arnold-terminator.jpg

But I have no idea how to go about attaching an LED to it, along with a small enough battery, along with some way to activate/deactivate it, especially in a manner that wouldn't hurt like heck wearing it.

Having an actual light-up eye is beyond insanely cool. You should look into that if I may say so!

Would you be able to fit a round "ball" in your eye socket?... maybe the wooden eye from pirates of the caribbean would be cool.
Or the Glass eye collection from "the last action hero"
lah.jpg

I have an idea. How about not showing it to me anymore!

Well, you didn't have to click on the link dude.

As for what to do with it, if you leave it out you could mount a miniature prop camera in it, like the one in Journey to the Far Side of the Sun. Or like the camera eye Steve Austin had in the book series "Cyborg" (which is the basis for "The Six Million Dollar Man" TV series).

Plenty of companies make novelty contact lenses like that. Without having to worry about prescription lenses, you could get the much more economical versions (the ones that aren't always the safest when used on real eyes.)

I'd say go with something that can't be achieved with contact lenses... So aye, LEDs all the way!

Hmm...

There is a character I read in a book that had a metal eye. Basically a metal sphere with the "cosmetic" overlay. It got broken in a battle, so he just has the metal sphere in there. Might be kinda nifty but I would imagine it would be one hell of a headache in wintertime.

Ever thought about making it a giant and gaudy ring? Kinda like the one in Beastmaster?

For the new one... no idea how it can be done, but one that has a light up section ala terminator would be cool. If there was some way to make the iris spin that would be nifty as well.

Chris

Would you be able to fit a round "ball" in your eye socket?... maybe the wooden eye from pirates of the caribbean would be cool.
lah.jpg

I always loved the collection he had...but to have that many, custom-made...is pretty expensive. Last time i had mine done it was over $500 and that was probably 10 years ago now

I would have NO IDEA how to wire up an LED to light mine up and be comfortable...but MAN it would be cool!

Oh! And as for the contacts...they don't stick to the eye at all. I tried that (used to work as an optiican, so i HAD to try it -- contacts just roll up and don't stick at all, probably becuase the surface of the eye is too dry)

I always loved the collection he had...but to have that many, custom-made...is pretty expensive. Last time i had mine done it was over $500 and that was probably 10 years ago now

I would have NO IDEA how to wire up an LED to light mine up and be comfortable...but MAN it would be cool!

Are you able to have a "round" eye inside your eye socket? Some of the people here that maked sculptures also makes custom acrylic eyes for their sculpts. Maybe they could make you some cheaper than what a professional eyemaker would charge.

There is also a woman who just ran a Kickstarter project to have a camera inserted in her eye.

Well, does ANYONE have an idea of a safe type of clear coat - non-toxic - that I may be able to use to coat a paint job? I have yet to find anything that will not irritate.

The problem with a round eye is that it would roll around in the socket. Eyes are not totally round to begin with and are anchored by muscles, which I do not have.

Any ideas on different paint schemes I could use? Something different?

How does your current prosthetic stay in place? If there's 'room' behind the lens that a sphere would have fit, and the one you plan on modifying is translucent, you could just add an LED and a button cell to the back without too much trouble and seal it up with some cosmetic grade latex/silicone perhaps? Motorized would be a little harder without, as you mention, a place to anchor the base.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back