What to do after the costume pattern?(spiderman suit)

Discussion in 'Marvel Costumes and Props' started by Aris, May 20, 2012.

1. Aris

Aris Active Member

Hello everyone!

The last days i have been searching a lot to make my own mask. I have decided to create the suit even though i have never tried it. A guy in youtube gave me his spiderman costume pattern for free, but it is not the best (because it is free). I will upload the photo to see how it is. The colours of his pattern look a little bit out and i tried to make them match with the real ones in photoshop but it is not the result i want. Can anyone help me make these colors look better? And after i will finish with colours, what comes next after the pattern is ready? How can i print this onto fabric? I have read for a method called dye sublimation but it seems a little confusing... Can somebody explain this to me?

Thank you.

2. Aris

Aris Active Member

[​IMG]

This is the blue costume pattern.

[​IMG]

And this is the red costume pattern.

3. EyeofSauron

EyeofSauron Master Member

i do not see a possibility to change the color on the blue part. its justtoo dark to get enough contrast to brighten and modify the color.

what you need is the photoshop file for this, wheretheres different layers for color and pattern.

the only alternative i see is making it a red and black suit, with darkening up the bright spots in the black parts.

4. tk1055

tk1055 Sr Member

Did the youtube guy send you those links? Or did he send you the PSD file? If he sent you the PSD, I am willing to take a look at them and see if I can't fix them up to be red and blue.

Shoot me an email at Daywalker80wolf@aol.com

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  5. Aris

Aris Active Member

Exactly. Look, the red one can change color, i tried this an it is ok. But as you said the ''blue'' part is too dark and i don't think that i can do something to change it. Where can i get the photoshop file? Do you know anyone that can sell it to me??. Of course i don't want to make the suit red and black , i want the classic red and blue.

Thanks EyeofSauron for your reply! :)

6. Aris

Aris Active Member

Hello tk1055,

The guy from youtube just sent to my e-mail these two photos. I uploaded to photo bucket to show you guys how the pattern looks. He didn't send me the PSD file he just sent the 2 photos. If i had the PSD file, i would give it to you just to check it out, because i am not that experienced in photshop.

Thanks for your reply Mr. Joker :)

7. tk1055

tk1055 Sr Member

I Gave it a shot recoloring the blue area. The biggest issue is that these seem to be the files that need to be printed on both red and blue colored lycra, instead of coloring on white.

[​IMG]

8. EyeofSauron

you might want to ask him, if he can send you the psd file :)

9. tk1055

tk1055 Sr Member

Aris now has the color corrected files. It was a fun project. Good luck with your build, Aris!

10. Looch

Looch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

As for dye sublimation, I used to work in a branding store, one that does custom logo printing, embroidery, etc-got a great Gotham City PD patch that way! Anyway, sublimation is a process where the dye or ink goes right into the fibres of the fabric, not just the surface like an iron-on. It does not come out, and tends to keep its colour. Don't know if it can be done at home, though-you might have to find a company like the kind I worked for.

11. Aris

Aris Active Member

Tk1055 thank you man so much for your precious help!

12. Aris

Aris Active Member

Looch, thanks man for your informations about dye sublimation! I am sure that this can't be done at home, but i think that here in Greece and especially in Thessaloniki there are not so many companies for this process... Anyway I will check out if there are companies doing this! Thanks again man!

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  13. carl9149

carl9149 Well-Known Member

Your best off trying to find a company which prints large flags, as the pattern gets printed onto a single large sheet of lycra, which you then cut and sew together. The printers which they use are very large printers.
    Good luck to you.

14. Aris

Aris Active Member

Hello carl9149, that's a very good idea man! I will check these companies after the dye sublimation ones! :) Thank you very much !

15. carl9149

carl9149 Well-Known Member

Large flag companies already tend to use dye-sublimation for their prints.

16. Aris

Aris Active Member

Hello carl9149, ohh well i didn't know that! Thanks for telling me this! I will search for that kind of companies! Thanks :)

17. Aris

Aris Active Member

Well this was a really tough day, but i think I made very big changes on the pattern! I changed the blue color to a more dark in order to match the one of the movie costume. As you can see i have put together the basic blue and red parts of the suit. I will edit the pattern more, but surely not today or tomorrow! As I told you it was a very tough day and one of the factors is that I was working on my laptop and it is more difficult to use photoshop,but never mind! Here is the pattern! Have a good night from greece!

18. Aris

Aris Active Member

Enjoy!

19. Moosespidey

Moosespidey New Member

Hey men, I need your help to do the pattern of the suit of spidey not if you could help me please thank you!!!! :D

20. EyeofSauron

the shading is too light, it should be the other way around. the shades should be darker. you allready have it on the red, but not on the blue. looks kinda weird this way ;)

21. Aris

Aris Active Member

Hello EyeofSauron, yes I know that I have to change the shading in the blue part(in fact I have done some pieces of the blue part's shading, but I didn't uploaded this shot cause I haven't finished it yet thanks to my tiredness!!! :p :p). This is just a shot for you guys to see the pattern's shape. I have left enough things to do to make it ready for print! Have a good night! :)

22. tk1055

tk1055 Sr Member

Looks great, I think this will look awesome printed up. You should check out Fabrics on Demand, they will be able to print this bad boy up.

23. Looch

Looch Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Very glad I could help!

24. elvisoman

elvisoman New Member

I got the same file and have the same issue would love to know how you fixed the blue.

25. TheNickFox

TheNickFox Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I recognize this pattern, I've seen the person's videos on Youtube/Facebook. I've only ever seen one person make a suit with a pattern that looks like that...the back bricks are distinctive, as are the registration marks all around.

Color correction should be unnecessary for the original files, they are designed to be printed onto colored fabrics for the proper depth of color.

-Nick

26. tk1055

tk1055 Sr Member

That is what I thought. When I did the coloring I created a layer of the color that was clipped to match the pattern and turned the pattern into an overlay. Nick, Who was that?

27. TheNickFox

28. Aris

Aris Active Member

Do you like the edited photo of the pattern??? You are one of the best designers... I want you to tell me your opinion.

Thanks

29. TheNickFox

I am by no means one of the best designers, but I appreciate the compliment.

As for your colors, if you're looking to get this dye sublimated onto white fabric, you'll find that the colors are going to be too dark.

The colors that get printed end up being darker than what you see on your screen.

I did some really rough mockups of what the color should look like for printing onto white material:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're not perfect, because I did them in under 5 minutes, and I was limited by those original images, but they should give you a decent idea of what color to aim for.

Good luck.

-Nick

30. Aris

Aris Active Member

Hello Nick, so if i make the colors of my pattern look like what you did and print it on white fabric, it will look like the movie costume? You said that the colors when printed onto fabric, they will look darker... Thanks for your help, i appreciate it :) . I will update the thread with the new pattern photos asap.

31. Aris

Aris Active Member

I have changed the color of the pattern.I think especially the blue one that is really close to the one that Nick did! Take a look :)

32. TheNickFox

Once again, my colors aren't perfect, I just did them VERY quickly, but the file you're working from isn't exactly ideal.

Here, this might help you. It's a screenshot of my pattern and a picture of how it looked once it was printed so you can get a sense of how the printing process changes the color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Nick

33. Aris

Aris Active Member

Well, in my opinion the printed version looks a liitle bit brighter!!! :) That's what i see... Perhaps it is beacuse of the lightning, but this is what I see...I hope that i don't have a view problem, I am saying this beacuse you said that the printed version is darker. Your pattern colors are not that bright as you showed me... That's what i can not understand...

34. manga88

manga88 Guest

Hello everyone, I'm new and I wanted to know where I can find the file for the PDS costume spiderman, I'm very interested in the files that you see in the last post. some of you can help me out? sorry for my English is not very good.

35. abearnamedpaul

abearnamedpaul New Member

PDF files please?!