What Size/Brand Snowspeeder for MR LE AT-AT?

redshirt

Sr Member
I'm getting the first Edition Master Replicas AT-AT with the mirrored base and I want to include a Snowspeeder flying near the feet (I'll probably change any model stand to clear acrylic stand). What's the best detail and scale model or toy that would match the AT-AT best. I can repaint any model or toy to insure accuracy.

As an example, I've seen the Star Wars Micro Machines that may seem close to the relative scale. Please be precise in your suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tom

I think the Action Fleet one (and whatever it's called now as released by Hasbro) would be much closer to the correct scale than the Micro Machines (unless that's what you meant).

Yes, what toy or model would be the closest scale and best detailed item to set by the AT-AT. I don't get my AT-AT until Jan. 19th, but from the MR photos of the Signature one, the snowspeeder looks 150%-200% the main round diameter of the foot (without toes).
at_at_closeup.jpg

at_at_case.jpg

Here's movie reference:
footstep.jpg

All the info I read about the signature addition says that the snowspeeder is molded from a 5" minature from LFL.

So I guess look for one that size.

I'm doing the same thing, the AMT Ertl kit is too big, I havn't tried the action fleet one yet.

I did use the really small micro machine AT-AT for he minture AT-AT though, it is pretty close in size.

LMK how you make out.

Congrates on finding an AT-AT..

Lynn

Originally posted by Treadwell@Jan 16 2006, 02:13 PM
Action Fleet:

Pretty darn close.
[snapback]1160525[/snapback]​

I'd have to agree. Comparing the screen captures to Treadwell's pic, that is pretty darn close.

That is pretty darn close..

Can you take a pic like this one at the same angles for an even better comparison??

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/ref_2f-vi.jpg[/image]

Lynn

Thanks so much for the info Lynn TXP 0369 and Treadwell, I got my FAO Schwarz LE AT-AT (Mirror base) today (WOW.) and ordered an Action Fleet Micro Machines "Luke Skywalker Hoth version Snowspeeder" (this version shown 2nd from the left in the image below).
Love your pics.

cb-wall-action-fleet-12.jpg

After scouring the web on image reference, this version seemed the best mold and paint of the series and closest to the one used on the Master Replicas Signature version.
afsagasnowspeeder.jpg

Originally posted by Lynn TXP 0369@Jan 17 2006, 08:42 PM
Cool, thanks Jay.

Do you think it is good enough to pose with it?

Lynn
[snapback]1161660[/snapback]​

I left it in the case with the AT-AT, if that's any indication. ;)

There are couple of details on the action fleet speeder that could be better if you're interested in attempting it. The cockpit canopy windows are too short. the canopy as a whole should be taller and wider with less "frame". this seems to be a common theme among all of the released incarnations of the snowspeed except for MRs. does anyone ahve one of SMT's old snowspeeders that they used to make? I've never seen one and wonder what it would look like in a doarama with the MR AT-AT.

Jedi Dade

Originally posted by Treadwell+Jan 18 2006, 10:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Jan 18 2006, 10:42 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Lynn TXP 0369
@Jan 17 2006, 08:42 PM
Cool, thanks Jay.

Do you think it is good enough to pose with it?

Lynn
[snapback]1161660[/snapback]​

I left it in the case with the AT-AT, if that's any indication. ;)
[snapback]1162028[/snapback]​
[/b]

I should clarify that in the end the Action Fleet speeder is a TOY, so don't go thinkin' it matches the AT-AT's SS look. :)

Originally posted by ckwanwoo@Jan 18 2006, 10:44 AM
redshirt.
Go~~~od Choice.

Plz, let me know where do you buy that?
[snapback]1162032[/snapback]​

Bought it on eBay for $14.95 plus shipping (the snowspeeder that is, the AT-AT I got at FAO Schwarz on their 50% off sale). It's a toy, but I think if I wanted it to match the MR LE AT-AT, a repaint and a better rear gun and some other touches would make it accurate enough. Out of the box it's pretty nice and fairly accurate for a toy I think. I downloaded the Master Replicas Snowspeeder pics from www.rebelscum.com to compare and accurize this toy.

Does anyone know where I can get a kit to make decals or what service I could send an art file for decal output? Because if I repaint this snowspeeder I'll have to make new decals to replace the ones I paint over? I'm a graphic designer so redoing the graphics are no sweat, but how to make the decals is what I'll need to know.

Tom

I would probably just mask the strips and free hand the little details.
I'm sure that is what they did with the real ones.

I'd yank that window right out the first thing and I would not replace it.

Is the window glass molded directly in the canopy and the canopy color just painted? Or are they seperate parts?

I would also scratch build a few new details like the gun, new lower rear flaps, and possibly the back radiator fins.

Lynn

Originally posted by Jedi Dade@Jan 18 2006, 12:16 PM
There are couple of details on the action fleet speeder that could be better if you're interested in attempting it.  The cockpit canopy windows are too short.  the canopy as a whole should be taller and wider with less "frame".  this seems to be a common theme among all of the released incarnations of the snowspeed except for MRs.  does anyone ahve one of SMT's old snowspeeders that they used to make?  I've never seen one and wonder what it would look like in a doarama with the MR AT-AT.

Jedi Dade
[snapback]1162108[/snapback]​

Actually the movie models suffer from some of the same things as the Hasbro Micro Machines Action Fleet models. Namely, at the 5" size scale the details are a bit biggish. Compare the picture of the real filming ILM model miniature of the 5" snowspeeder from Gary Kurtz's auction to the Hasbro image. I'd say Hasbro did a fair job.

The updates I'll probably do is spray paint a matte finish on the toy to take the plastic look away. Add more dry brushed details. Possibly take out the thick canopy plexiglass and replace it with thinner material. Make a harpoon gun that is more in scale with the 5" snowspeeder(smaller) and has better detail. Add black thread to the gun for the tow cable. Paint cockpit details. Redoing the canopy height would be too much work and I don't think it is easily noticeable at this size anyway. Doing this will be enough to marry the 5" in-scale snowspeeder to my very lovely new MR LE AT-AT.

Actual 5" ILM Movie Miniature
2408-0009final_000.jpg

Hasbro 5" Micro Machines Action Fleet Luke Snowspeeder
afsagasnowspeeder.jpg

Wow, they do look pretty good..

I would still totally remove the glass and not put it in, most SS models never had glass in them to keep light reflections from happening on the windows.

Lynn

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back