What Size/Brand Snowspeeder for MR LE AT-AT?

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by redshirt, Jan 14, 2006.

1. redshirt

redshirt Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm getting the first Edition Master Replicas AT-AT with the mirrored base and I want to include a Snowspeeder flying near the feet (I'll probably change any model stand to clear acrylic stand). What's the best detail and scale model or toy that would match the AT-AT best. I can repaint any model or toy to insure accuracy.

As an example, I've seen the Star Wars Micro Machines that may seem close to the relative scale. Please be precise in your suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tom

2. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think the Action Fleet one (and whatever it's called now as released by Hasbro) would be much closer to the correct scale than the Micro Machines (unless that's what you meant).

3. redshirt

Yes, what toy or model would be the closest scale and best detailed item to set by the AT-AT. I don't get my AT-AT until Jan. 19th, but from the MR photos of the Signature one, the snowspeeder looks 150%-200% the main round diameter of the foot (without toes).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's movie reference:
    [​IMG]

4. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

All the info I read about the signature addition says that the snowspeeder is molded from a 5" minature from LFL.

So I guess look for one that size.

I'm doing the same thing, the AMT Ertl kit is too big, I havn't tried the action fleet one yet.

I did use the really small micro machine AT-AT for he minture AT-AT though, it is pretty close in size.

LMK how you make out.

Congrates on finding an AT-AT..

Lynn

5. Treadwell

Action Fleet:
    [​IMG]

Pretty darn close.

6. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I'd have to agree. Comparing the screen captures to Treadwell's pic, that is pretty darn close.

7. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

That is pretty darn close..

Can you take a pic like this one at the same angles for an even better comparison??

[image]http://www.wackychimp.com/uploads/ref_2f-vi.jpg[/image]

Lynn

8. Treadwell

I'll try to do so Tuesday night.

9. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Thanks..

What size is it lenght and width?

Lynn

10. Treadwell

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Length (including forward cannons): 4 15/16"
    Width: 4 3/16"

11. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Cool, thanks Jay.

Do you think it is good enough to pose with it?

Lynn

12. redshirt

Thanks so much for the info Lynn TXP 0369 and Treadwell, I got my FAO Schwarz LE AT-AT (Mirror base) today (WOW.) and ordered an Action Fleet Micro Machines "Luke Skywalker Hoth version Snowspeeder" (this version shown 2nd from the left in the image below).
    Love your pics.

[​IMG]

After scouring the web on image reference, this version seemed the best mold and paint of the series and closest to the one used on the Master Replicas Signature version.
    [​IMG]

13. Treadwell

I left it in the case with the AT-AT, if that's any indication. ;)

14. ckwanwoo

ckwanwoo Sr Member

redshirt.
    Go~~~od Choice.

Plz, let me know where do you buy that?

15. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

There are couple of details on the action fleet speeder that could be better if you're interested in attempting it. The cockpit canopy windows are too short. the canopy as a whole should be taller and wider with less "frame". this seems to be a common theme among all of the released incarnations of the snowspeed except for MRs. does anyone ahve one of SMT's old snowspeeders that they used to make? I've never seen one and wonder what it would look like in a doarama with the MR AT-AT.

Jedi Dade

16. Treadwell

I should clarify that in the end the Action Fleet speeder is a TOY, so don't go thinkin' it matches the AT-AT's SS look. :)

17. redshirt

Bought it on eBay for $14.95 plus shipping (the snowspeeder that is, the AT-AT I got at FAO Schwarz on their 50% off sale). It's a toy, but I think if I wanted it to match the MR LE AT-AT, a repaint and a better rear gun and some other touches would make it accurate enough. Out of the box it's pretty nice and fairly accurate for a toy I think. I downloaded the Master Replicas Snowspeeder pics from www.rebelscum.com to compare and accurize this toy.

Does anyone know where I can get a kit to make decals or what service I could send an art file for decal output? Because if I repaint this snowspeeder I'll have to make new decals to replace the ones I paint over? I'm a graphic designer so redoing the graphics are no sweat, but how to make the decals is what I'll need to know.

Tom

18. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I would probably just mask the strips and free hand the little details.
    I'm sure that is what they did with the real ones.

I'd yank that window right out the first thing and I would not replace it.

Is the window glass molded directly in the canopy and the canopy color just painted? Or are they seperate parts?

I would also scratch build a few new details like the gun, new lower rear flaps, and possibly the back radiator fins.

Lynn

19. redshirt

Actually the movie models suffer from some of the same things as the Hasbro Micro Machines Action Fleet models. Namely, at the 5" size scale the details are a bit biggish. Compare the picture of the real filming ILM model miniature of the 5" snowspeeder from Gary Kurtz's auction to the Hasbro image. I'd say Hasbro did a fair job.

The updates I'll probably do is spray paint a matte finish on the toy to take the plastic look away. Add more dry brushed details. Possibly take out the thick canopy plexiglass and replace it with thinner material. Make a harpoon gun that is more in scale with the 5" snowspeeder(smaller) and has better detail. Add black thread to the gun for the tow cable. Paint cockpit details. Redoing the canopy height would be too much work and I don't think it is easily noticeable at this size anyway. Doing this will be enough to marry the 5" in-scale snowspeeder to my very lovely new MR LE AT-AT.

Actual 5" ILM Movie Miniature
    [​IMG]

Hasbro 5" Micro Machines Action Fleet Luke Snowspeeder
    [​IMG]

20. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Wow, they do look pretty good..

I would still totally remove the glass and not put it in, most SS models never had glass in them to keep light reflections from happening on the windows.

Lynn

21. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think it would be a fun little project to rework one of these into a replica of the 5" filming model. Does anyone have any more pics of the original 5" snowspeeder prop besides the Profiles image?

Thanks

Dan Stokes
    DDStokes@aol.com

22. redshirt

Can someone please measure the length, including front guns of the Master Replicas Signature crashed Snowspeeder (measure with the side with the unbent guns). I suspect it's slightly longer than the 5" Hasbro Snowspeeder I just got.

Hasbro is coming out in Feb 2006 with a diecast (Titanium Series) snowspeeder that may be slightly bigger. If that's closer in size I'd get it.

Tom

23. Treadwell

The Titanium releases of vehicles previously released as Action Fleet toys have used the existing molds. I wouldn't expect the snow speeder to be any different.

24. redshirt

Agreed, the copy (Entertainment Earth) said the upcoming series vehicles measured 6-7 inches, but it looked the same size as my action fleet version from guesstimation.

BTW I got my Action Fleet Luke Snowspeeder and it looks FAB next to the AT-AT. Same level of detail and nice weathered paint job for a toy. There won't be much for me to do to update it.

Tom

25. Jedi Dade

Jedi Dade Sr Member

Actaully that is kind of what I meant - they did a fair job but the one glaring detail that bugs me about it is the window/canopy frame. the windows are too smale or the cnaopy frame is too thick (take your pick). I was just throwing a suggestion oout there is somebody wanted to make it even better - not that the hsbro one wasn't good ;-) Sorry if that didn't come across well in my previous post.

Jedi Dade

26. ckwanwoo

ckwanwoo Sr Member

hard find it

27. propcollector

propcollector Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The one that I used was

Manufacturer: Hasbro
    Release Date: 01 Nov 2002
    Property: Star Wars Classic
    Part No: 47045
    MSRP: 0.00 USD
    Action fleet saga vehicles
    It is lukes snowspeeder and is weathered

Here is a pic of it

28. propcollector

Here is mine on the base

29. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Whats hard find it???

Lynn

30. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Redshirt....
    Did you get your snowspeeder displayed with your AT-AT yet?
    Please post some pics if you did, I just won one off eBay and I want to see what you did with yours.

Lynn

31. propcollector

I bought the new titanium series snowspeeder and it is the same size but it is not as detailed as the one I got

32. KAIBURR

KAIBURR Well-Known Member

33. redshirt

Okay, I just picked up the new Hasbro "Titanium Series" Die Cast Snowspeeder and it is NOT just a redo of the earlier plastic Hasbro Hoth Snowspeeder in metal. It's more accurate and very close to looking like a scaled down version of the Master replicas snowspeeder. I'll post some pic comparisons later.

I'm taking my old plastic Hasbro Speeder out of my Master replicas LE AT-AT display case and putting this one in. It's a beauty..

Tom

34. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Hhmmm.... I'd like to see comp pics if you got them.

I saw the "Titanium Series" Die Cast Snowspeeder at Walmart and I was I glad got the plastic Snowspeeder instead because I felt the die cast speeder looked like a die cast toy and I didn't think the detail was as good as the plastic speeder.

I'd love to see some comp pics of the two.

Lynn

35. Bryancd

Bryancd Master Member

Here's a picture of my ATAT from that role playing game displayed with an Action Fleet snowspeeder. It my MR display on a sub $100 budget.

[attachmentid=9205]

36. Eagle

Eagle Sr Member

The Titanium Series seems to fit very well with mine. :)

[​IMG]

37. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Yeah, that Titanium Snowspeeder looks great next to the MR At-At. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Eagle... What are you using to display the snowspeeder on? A robe hook?

38. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

Very nice..
    It looks much better then the plastic Action Fleet by far, it is more fitting IMO.

I found one yesterday,I should have gotten it, I'll have to go back and see if it is there.

Lynn

39. Kuhn Global

Kuhn Global Sr Member

I was just going to mention the Titanium Series Speeders. Ooooo I saw one at Target the other day.... i will pick it up today... I hope..lol.

40. Eagle

Eagle Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(rmschneider104 @ Aug 13 2006, 07:33 PM) [snapback]1299566[/snapback]</div>
    It's a 'Gemini Jets' 1:400 scale Chrome Stand. Available worlwide and, of course, fleaBay. :)

It requires a hole drilled in the underside of the model and maybe a wee bit of CA to fix in place.

[​IMG]

41. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

Cool. Thanks for the stand info...

42. Eagle

Eagle Sr Member

You're welcome. :)

43. rmschneider104

rmschneider104 Sr Member

I'm going to check Hobby Lobby and a few other model shops in my area for a stand. If not, it looks like they are around $10 to $12 shipped on ebay. Not too bad.

44. Lynn TXP 0369

Lynn TXP 0369 Sr Member

I just got my Titanium Snowspeeder today, WOW...
    What a big difference.
    It is bigger then the Action fleet and much more detailed like the SS miniature.
    The only thing I don't like is the paint they used is incompatible with the plastec they used because the plastic parts are all stickey.

Other then that it is AWESOME.
    I will repaint the red areas for the Red2 version.
    Lynn