What part am I building? :)

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Locry, May 11, 2012.

1. Locry

Locry Member

Still not sure if its exactly SS...
    [​IMG]

If you know what this is... I need help with reference pics. :)
    Thanks!

2. Junk Pilot

Junk Pilot Sr Member

That's the underside of the AT-AT. I don't have any reference pics but it looks almost 2 x SS unless it is the 4 foot version you are doing.

3. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

It's one of these...
    [​IMG]

4. Locry

Locry Member

YEAH BABY!!!!

5. Locry

Locry Member

How big is that? What's the length of the body?

6. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

1/24 scale... I'll measure it for ya.

7. ralphee

ralphee Sr Member

You made a 1/24 scale iPhone? KUDOS :lol.

lee

8. Locry

Locry Member

Ey thanks bud! :) is this project on-going or is it done? I don't have much to go on with the underbelly... just the ertl kit. :)

9. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Pretty accurate huh? Soon to be a kit. You just reminded me of something I have to do..... Get ready to take the poster down.

10. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

This is a kit by the very talented Mr Mike Salzo. Only a handfull were made. My build thread here:
    http://www.therpf.com/f11/assault-hoth-132150/

It is based on the 4foot filming model. The ERTL is pretty inaccurate compared to the real model so just by enlarging it the proportions will be way off. The four foot models also differed from the smaller miniatures. There were 3 of the larger models built. One pyro version, one crashed version and another for closeups/flyby's etc. Each one had different features. The large cylinders on your underbelly need to be round not flattened as on the Ertl. Nice work though. Keep the pix coming.

11. Locry

Locry Member

Aaaaaarrrggghhhhh!!!!! So they're round like the actuators? Deym!!!!!!! I figured the proportions were a bit odd, so I just kind of "winged" it, from movie stills and books. I was literally feeling my way regarding the proportions. If it "felt" right... I went ahead and made the part. :) Not very modeller like I admit. :(

12. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Your doing a grand job. The cylinders on the smaller model were from the 1/1444 Saturn v airfix model. You can see them in Juliens build here. On the larger models they were scratched. There's not much reference on the larger model. I have about 20 pix and that's it. Nothing of the underside really .

13. Locry

Locry Member

I was browsing your build thread... WOW! I should've read through your build before I started. Been building this on and off since January this year. I've never seen some of those close-ups. I already made my version of the side guns... in too deep to remodel. Will post some pics of my version in a while...

14. Locry

Locry Member

No disrespect meant to the original modelers... but doesn't the "large" version differ ever so slightly to the smaller ones?... I "feel" the AT-AT in the shot with Lucas is a bit more "boxy"... missing some of the angles in the smaller ones.

15. Locry

Locry Member

Not exactly sure about the scale... I think General Veers would have to be 3 inches tall to be able to stand inside the head section.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Slow and steady... :)
    Blizzard 1,2 and 3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I realize this isn't an "accurate" build. It's a reinterpretation I think. If it doesn't belong in here pls move the thread. :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  16. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

17. Locry

Locry Member

Nice!!! I love what you did to that head? I guess you used something a little bit bigger than an elephant gun to fell that beast eh?

Ok, to keep the innuendos in your thread consistent... "showed me yours so I'll show you mine..." haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Spent an entire day applying this initial wash... I wonder how long it'll take to wash the rest... uugghhh

18. jedimaster

jedimaster Sr Member

Yours is bigger that his.... Just sayin.

19. Locry

Locry Member

The head may be bigger... :) some will say that's a good thing...
    [​IMG]
    Han: Uhhhhh... Luke... what's wrong with your speeder?
    Luke: Deym... well, t'was too small anyway...

[​IMG]
    Veers: What do you think pilot, is it to my scale?
    Driver: A tad smaller I would say... idiot scratch builders...
    Trooper: Yeah, but these side guns are b1tchin!

20. JMChladek

JMChladek Sr Member

LOL! Love the caption for the last photo.

21. Locry

Locry Member

[​IMG]
    "Utini!...this isn't our ride... sorry rust buckets... we walk from here."