What material to use

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

merkymerx

Hello! I'm clueless as to what type of material to use for making the molds suitable for vacuforming. I know now that regular clay would not be able to withstand the heat and pressure of the process. So to those with experience, what is the best material to use? I have heard that super sculpey works? I plan on making a helmet so I'm not entirely sure if I can bake the whole thing. How about plaster of paris?

thank you for your help!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Ozgosh

I am no expert in Vacuforming, but I think a lot of people use plaster molds. Scult your mold out of clay first then cast in plaster. Here is a link to a good site for vacuforming tips. http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/index.html. Also the websites dedicated to Star Wars costuming will have lots of info on vacuforming as well.

Oz

Dieabolic

Plaster is the best way to go if you want to save money and have vacuforming bucs that are easy to reapair. If I get a chance tomorrow I will post pics of my star Wars helmet molds that are all plaster.