What material am I supposed to use for molding and casting my cosplay?

Peter Parke 67

Hi, Last year I made a batman cosplay using eva foam based on the Pattinson movie which I didn't get to finish unfortunately but I'll include a picture of. I want tp reattemp it using the molding and casting technique which I've seen a lot on the internet and the results seem visually better. The thing is that I don't know Jack about it. Especially in the material department. I've heard some people mentioning polyurethane, silicone, resin, latex, fiber glass, or sometimes mention them but they call them "liquid", latex foam and more. So which am I supposed to use for cosplaying? Or does it depend on what am making? If am making let's say a red hood armor or a batsuit, do I use the same material to cast the whole thing or does the helmet/cowl require a different one? If yes, are there other pieces of the cosplay that require a different material? Does the props so too? What about the mold? Am I supposed to use the same stuff for both the mold and the cast? Please enlighten about this whole making cosplays by molding and casting things!
Your help will en appreciated.

Ps: Before anyone says that it's too complicated or that it's too soon for me to try. Well everybody starts somewhere. Also, after accidentally destroying my foam torso pieces last year and having to redo them over 10 times I am patient enough for anything

Attachments

• 20220725_112858.jpg
    20220725_112858.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220725_113039.jpg
    20220725_113039.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Use orangy Rebound 25 to make the mold. Apply mold release to your sculpt, then a thin coat of Rebound to your cleaned up, finished sculpt. Then add Thivex to rebound and make the soft mold atleast 1/4 to 3/8 thick. Figure out how your cowl is going to be put on/worn and removed from a human. Best to create the mold with removal in mind.

Next, use Free Form air to make the hard, outer shell of the mold. Easy to mix 1:1 grey stuff.

Get mold release agent. Apply to the Rebound 25

Use Task 16 for the actual cowl if you want it to be a bendy/mildly floppy. If you want rigid, use Smoothcast325.. For Task 16Mix 2 parts B with 1 part A. Use a gram scale. Add pigments to part B. Degas each, individual part of the Task 16 before mixing. If smoothcast 335, it is a 1 to 1 mix. I'd still degass and use BRAND NEW 325 in a dry envir.

Use orangy Rebound 25 to make the mold. Apply mold release to your sculpt, then a thin coat of Rebound to your cleaned up, finished sculpt. Then add Thivex to rebound and make the soft mold atleast 1/4 to 3/8 thick. Figure out how your cowl is going to be put on/worn and removed from a human. Best to create the mold with removal in mind.

Next, use Free Form air to make the hard, outer shell of the mold. Easy to mix 1:1 grey stuff.

Get mold release agent. Apply to the Rebound 25

Use Task 16 for the actual cowl if you want it to be a bendy/mildly floppy. If you want rigid, use Smoothcast325.. For Task 16Mix 2 parts B with 1 part A. Use a gram scale. Add pigments to part B. Degas each, individual part of the Task 16 before mixing. If smoothcast 335, it is a 1 to 1 mix. I'd still degass and use BRAND NEW 325 in a dry envir.
Thanks but what are these material tho? And what about the others. I appreciate the tutorial and I'll probably use it for the cowl. But I would like some general knowledge about all the materials and the different processes and technique for both body armors and props. Am looking for exposition to learn by myself and understand rather than following a recipe u know what I mean? To be honest am a total noob when it comes to creating anything cosplay related by 3d printing then molding and casting. Do you where I get a detailed explanation for the whole thing? Including the different material, the different technique processes etc...?
Thanks again tho you saved me some time for the cowl. Does the same process apply if I use a 3d print instead of a sculpt? Tho sculpting batman head sounds fun

it depends on what direction you want to go.

There are plenty of tutorials on 3d printing, sculpting, pepakura using foam, etc.. Do you want rigid, bendy-flexible, stretchy-bendy flexible?
Check the smooth-on website or Reynolds Advanced materials if you want insight on the different materials, their properties and uses. Look up tutorials for costumes or mold-making that you like

Heck! I've made stuff by hammering aluminum. Are you ready for some joint trauma?

There are bunches of threads here that can give you ideas, but wanting someone to go over all the alternatives/options, when that info is readily available is like asking someone to go over every possible cooking technique and food because you want to prepare a meal.

You have to do some homework.

it depends on what direction you want to go.

There are plenty of tutorials on 3d printing, sculpting, pepakura using foam, etc.. Do you want rigid, bendy-flexible, stretchy-bendy flexible?
Check the smooth-on website or Reynolds Advanced materials if you want insight on the different materials, their properties and uses. Look up tutorials for costumes or mold-making that you like

Heck! I've made stuff by hammering aluminum. Are you ready for some joint trauma?

There are bunches of threads here that can give you ideas, but wanting someone to go over all the alternatives/options, when that info is readily available is like asking someone to go over every possible cooking technique and food because you want to prepare a meal.

You have to do some homework.
I guess your write. I was also referred to a paid course called the Stan Winston school and other free youtube videos. So from now I will watch some tutorials and try to experiment on my end with smaller and try you helmet method props peaces before getting into a serious big project. Thx again mate!

If you want to make a helmet, you cant go wrong with 2-3 layers of aluminum foil on your head then use FreeForm Air to make the base of the helmet. It will fit you perfectly. No need for padding!!

Clear plastic wrap on your face then Free Form Air molded for mask.

Sit still while the Free Form air sets. The aluminum holds it in place. 40 min to an hour

I would watch the Reynolds Advanced Materials and cosplayer free tutorials on youtube.

Same amount of time as paying for it, cheaper since it is FREE.

Start with paper templates for armor. Stand infront of a mirror and cut them to your liking.

When you decide how you want to do it, please let me know and I will try to help save you time and money. :)

If you want to make a helmet, you cant go wrong with 2-3 layers of aluminum foil on your head then use FreeForm Air to make the base of the helmet. It will fit you perfectly. No need for padding!!

Clear plastic wrap on your face then Free Form Air molded for mask.

Sit still while the Free Form air sets. The aluminum holds it in place. 40 min to an hour

I would watch the Reynolds Advanced Materials and cosplayer free tutorials on youtube.

Same amount of time as paying for it, cheaper since it is FREE.

Start with paper templates for armor. Stand infront of a mirror and cut them to your liking.

When you decide how you want to do it, please let me know and I will try to help save you time and money. :)
Yeah. Am starting college in like a month so I'll how much free time I'll have compared to high school. I doubt I'll be able to successfully make the whole suits again with this new mold and cast method so I'll probably just make the cowl and then improve the foam armor and finish it up and that would be it for this Halloween. As for making the whole suit again I'll probably do that around the Batman 2 assuming it's gonna be accounted for sometimes around the beginnings of 2024

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back