What mask is best for working jaws?

BroadSword

So I'm still doing homework and researching the various styles of masks and I wanted to know something. If I wanted to eventually have a mask with opening mandibles, is it best to get a closed mouth version? Are the masks with closed mandibles flexible enough to be fitted with a mechanism to make the mouth open? I'm thinking I want to try the design using the hair clip component (once I figure out how it works). I just didn't want to get a mask that just will not work with something like that.

A closed mouth will not be the way to go. They are sculpted and molded to be just that... Closed. Also remeber that the latex will be thicker in a closed mouth... Not much give, especially if you are going with the hair clip method

A closed mouth will not be the way to go. They are sculpted and molded to be just that... Closed. Also remeber that the latex will be thicker in a closed mouth... Not much give, especially if you are going with the hair clip method

So does that mean an open mouth version will be able to close then? As I've never handled any of these masks yet, I have no idea of their flexibility. There are not issues with Bios fitting over open mouth version are there?

no, it does not mean a closed mouth wil work either, the key is a thin cast, either closed or open, also i only have a thin casted closed and that works (doesn't distort).
i have wirse inserted into it and the lower mandibles work on a grusderk system, the uppers don't move tho. then only thing i need to finish on it apart from a paint job is a decent underskul that actually fits my head.
the mask i am using is a pirk elder and compared to me Usurper P2 it is very thing around the mouth making it quite flexible.

on a side note if i try to close my P2 then the side of the head distorts, the cheeks stick out and even the back of the head collapses

hope this helps

Hey dudes, I've built several mask that open and close. The first thing you need to do is layup an underkull. You have to have something solid to build on. If you will lay your mask in whatever bio you are going to use then layup fiberglass inside the mask while it is in the bio. This way your mask will retain the proper shape to fit into the bio later. A welders helmet insert works really well to keep the underskull on your head. Any welders shop carries them. You will have to put the welders helmet insert on you head then place the underskull on that and start marking where the attachment holes need to go and bolt it into place. Let me see if I can find a couple of pics.

Here are a couple of pics of one I did years ago. I used cables that were attached to a power screw driver motor. It ony open all the way and closed all the way. It worked great for csotume contest. I had used radio control servos before but I always had to have an operator.

alphatech2.jpg

alphatech1.jpg

alphatech2.jpg

alphatech1.jpg

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back