what kind of mold release to use

Correct. You must wet the inside of the mold with water right before you put the latex in, though. It will cause the latex to suck against the edge of the mold to pick up the detail as the latex dries, which is what you want.

Actually ..powder your mold before you pour latex. Use standard baby powder ..sprinkle it in ..then push it around with a chip brush. Never heard the water method before Andy...generally you would want you mold dry as not to contaminate the latex

hey George, what does powdering do for you? i never have any release problems. in fact the mask starts shrinking and pulling itself out just fine.

Ha.. Well latex sticks.. This prevents it from sticking to the stone and potentially ripping. I also powder the inside of the latex once it's cured... Preventing newly cured latex from sticking to itself. Also at times latex can leech into your stone mold.. The powder creates a buffer to prevent it

Never heard the water method before Andy...generally you would want you mold dry as not to contaminate the latex

That's exactly what both Pete and Chuck have taught me at both their respective houses on different occasions, as they both do that with all their hydrocal/ultracal molds. Wet the inside of the mold by dumping water into it until it's saturated and pour it out before adding latex (or just heavily mist with a water spray bottle) so the walls of the mold are damp, not dripping wet. Theory being something like hydrocal being "hydro/water", if the mold is wetted, once it dries itself out, the latex will pull into the sides of the mold better. Like you said, when the latex has dried, pour baby powder in and rub it around with your hand so the latex doesn't stick to itself when removing the piece from the mold.

That's their technique they've both been using for years to pull their latex parts.

I do not use anything, or powder.

i tried water but felt it was helping destroy the fine details quicker than powdering/nothing.

I powder when i remember to buy it lol.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back