What It’s Like To Have Your Movie Flop

I would love to see how these movies would be if what was in the original scripts were filmed. Seems like half the good stuff never gets filmed or edited out. Still Conan looked like every other action movie that's out anymore.

I wouldn't say these movies are flops really. They might be good films. The problem is that I think maybe this is a clear message to the studios that people know there already are films of 'Conan The Barbarian' and the cult hit 'Fright Night.' people were just smart enough to know those weren't the films we remember, so we just avoided these remakes entirely.

Serves them right. No more remakes.

Are Conan and Fright Night really flops? what were there weekend numbers? Sure they were #4 & 5, but they are fantasy/horror films going up against each other. Add to that the #1 probably got Oprah's "Best Things" endorsement, so some guys that would see them are being dragged to that by their girlfriends....making for 2 ticket to the one if they saw what they wanted to alone. Being the last weekend before most schools start, you still had the last of the take the kids to the movies, with Spy Kids at #3 (why this need made and not sent straight to DVD). Apes being on of the better, if not best movies of the Summer is holding onto #2.

I think Fright Night and Conan opening up against each other wasn't a good idea...it kind of split their intended audience.

Anyone who craps on a movie on a message board should read that piece in its entirety and be ashamed of themselves.

....why? It's just a movie. If we pay money (god forbid 3D pricing) to see a movie that isn't good, why should we care what one person who worked on the film thinks about it's box office performance? But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

*reads article*

Nice read. I'm sure he's just one of many involved with the production who feels this way. A lot of hard work goes into making movies like this. I'm certain that anyone who writes, produces, directs or even works as a door keeper on a movie never went in knowing this movie was going to be bad or be a flop. The least they can do is go in not really caring, which is not the vibe I got from reading a lot of interviews and articles.

*Sees movie*

Wow. This movie was crap. I don't know why Sean brought up his father taking 2nd place in a trumpet competition. If his dad performed as well as this new Conan movie did, he probably wouldn't have made it past the first day of audition because second place is not the as "massive disappointment", "dismal reviews", or "the worst case scenario for the conan series". And he says he made great improvements to the original script. I would love to see this script in it's original un-doctored form because nothing I watched could have been done worse. That stupid mask plot for instance. We can't let anyone have the pieces to the mask, you say? SMASH THE REMAINING PIECES INTO DUST AND SCATTER IT ACROSS.... ANYWHERE! Put it in a fire, eat it, or better yet, wash the dust down a river. Not that it made a difference since wearing the mask didn't do jack.

Sure, I'll give Sean a pat on the back for trying to make something like a new Conan movie work, but that won't stop me from bashing the film as it is.

I can say first hand -- IT SUCKS.

My movie still made the studio some money, but it was in no way what the studio was hoping for.

And judging by how things are going right now - you'll probably be able to ask me again next summer.

I feel no shame what so ever. I've been duped many a time in the past by what I thought was a good premise for a movie, a la "Silent Hill". I've walked out of movies wanting my money back and knowing it wasn't going to happen. Do the producers of these turds feel any shame for the steaming nuggets they've offered up? I don't think so, so why should I?

Not every swing is a home run.

I feel no shame what so ever. I've been duped many a time in the past by what I thought was a good premise for a movie, a la "Silent Hill". I've walked out of movies wanting my money back and knowing it wasn't going to happen. Do the producers of these turds feel any shame for the steaming nuggets they've offered up? I don't think so, so why should I?

Not every swing is a home run.

But you don't spend hours belly-aching on message boards about the ones you don't like. You have an adult perspective.

seth-rogen-17.jpg

I think I finally see the fundamental reason why I disagree with most things you post here.

Larry, for most movie audiences, it is just a movie. Why should they care about what went on behind the scenes or how hard someone worked to make a crappy script less crappy when all they want to do is sit back and enjoy the movie? None of that stuff should really matter when it comes to what you took away from the film. Whether they braved the perils of Mount Everest or just walked from one cubical to another, all that matters in the end is the movie.

Anyone who craps on a movie on a message board should read that piece in its entirety and be ashamed of themselves.

That would make for a funny scenario. Let's print out the article in it's entirety, pass it out to theater attendees who are going to see Conan, and tell them if they don't like the movie after reading the article, they should be ashamed of themselves. Funny how we should not label a movie bad just because some script doctor who was paid to work on it says he was bummed out that the film didn't do well. But when it comes to people who did see the movie and didn't like it? Label away!

Larry, If the Conan movie really needs that bit of info to be better appreciated, than the film doesn't work on it's own. Is that really how movies should work? If it does, get Thomas Dean Donnelly's article on how he was bummed out when "The Sound of Thunder" suffocated everyone who ever watched it. He could sure use the appreciation since he also wrote this Conan movie.

Some movies deserve to flop. I know what it's like to be involved in even a small production - it's a ton of work. Those guys get paid for their work though, and sometimes they know they're doing good work on a bad story. They have to be happy with the pay and the satisfaction of doing their job. We don't owe it to them to fluff up a crummy movie just because someone worked on it, or to keep our mouths shut when it's awful. Not that I do it often, but sometimes a flick is bad enough that I'll warn family & friends (and online friends! :)) off the thing.

But you don't spend hours belly-aching on message boards about the ones you don't like. You have an adult perspective.
Larry, you obviously don't like it when people discuss what they don't like about movies. I can understand that. What I don't understand is how you think it's more 'adult' to take the discussion and aim towards the folks who are just talking about it. It is annoying.

I think I finally see the fundamental reason why I disagree with most things you post here.

I don't care Larry, and I don't think anybody else does either. That's all I've got to say.

And what westies 14 said.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back