What is your "Scariest Movie Moment" ever?!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by IndyFanChuck, Dec 12, 2011.

1. IndyFanChuck

IndyFanChuck Sr Member

Hey gang,

I was talking with the wife and this turned out to be a really fun question to ask some of our friends:

What's the SCARIEST moment in a movie or tv show that you've ever seen? What made it sooooooooooooo frightening for you?

-----Chuck

2. defstartrooper

defstartrooper Sr Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  3. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

4. Jannix Quinn

Jannix Quinn Sr Member

The one part in Exorcist III but watch the whole movie and don't watch spoilers to see just the scary part.

Guaranteed pee will come out.

5. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Probably all the ones I can think of were in the Sixth Sense. 3 in particular I can think of.

The first is when he gets up to go pee in the middle of the night and sees that crazy woman in the kitchen.

The second is when he's walking toward his room only to see someone walk in ahead of him. I think it was a dead kid with an arrow in the head?

The third is when he's in the tent and the little girl appears in there.

Most people say it isn't scary but that movie still freaks me out, if someone turns it on I just leave the room. Probably creeps me out just because I can actually visualize that happening in my apartment in the middle of the night.

6. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Yes, here's a good idea, take your little kid, who lives in Alaska, to see an movie about a 18 foot tall Grizzly that dismembers people and eats them! Body parts flying everywhere!

[​IMG]

Had nightmares for a couple weeks! My bedroom was on the second story, but a bear that stands 18 feet tall doesn't need stairs!
    Man, that movie is lame!

As far as adulthood, I can anticipate most stuff that might startle me, so it is blunted. There are a lot that creep me out though. So no real "scariest moment" to share.

Doug

7. HAL9000

HAL9000 Sr Member

The hokey old head in the boat moment in Jaws still gets me more than thirty years later.

8. Shadow345

Shadow345 Well-Known Member

The scene on the moors from An American Werewolf in London.

9. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

I couldn't look at the Wicked Witch of the West for the longest time.

The scene where she's on top of the house and throws the fireball at the Scarecrow, scared me to death when I was little.

....and the Death coach from Darby O'Gill and the Little People was frightening too.

10. wannab

wannab Sr Member

Oooo good one, and don't forget the Banshee!

[​IMG]

Doug

11. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

eeeeeeekk!!!!!!

12. DaddyfromNaboo

DaddyfromNaboo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Jumpy spiders in "Arachnophobia". But only because the buddy to my right was eating gummi bears and when he jumped they were flying all around and imagine being hit by something tiny, unidentifiable in a dark theatre in a scary moment...

Then there was the library ghost in GB, of course, the beautiful ghost in Indy... ah, the childhood classics...

13. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

[​IMG]

The screams.... The screams....

As a little kid, I would rush out of the room whenever the klaxon would start and not come back in until all the noise was gone. I think it wasn't until I was 8 or 9 before I finally mustered up the courage to watch the scene entirely.

14. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

"Have you checked the children?"

Great suspense and freak out reveal that, "We've traced the calls, they're coming from inside the house!"

15. crabra comander

crabra comander Sr Member

Mullholand Dr., the homeless guy behind the diner scene. I had a heart attack like that dude almost!

[​IMG]

Nice eyes:love

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  16. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

OMG! YEAH! I still to this day get freaked out when I see her!

There was another moment. The House on Haunted Hill remake. When that chick with the camera goes to the basement alone, and there's some figure standing there, and it just zooms up to her. I still have trouble watching that part.

17. IndyBlues

IndyBlues Sr Member

I agree 100%!! I was going to post the exact same thing. That scene caught me completely off guard.
    I don't want to reveal it either. If you haven't seem it, check the film out.
    Mike

18. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

Funny you mention TMP Jeyl- when I was watching it in the theater in '79 (at nine years of age)
    and "Ilia-droid" smashed through the steel door, it scared the crap out of me! I jammed my hands
    over my eyes! :lol

Other things that made me "jump"-

-When the facehugger in the stasis tube lurches at Burke in Aliens.

-The music cue scare in The Thing '82 (after which Fuchs says "Who's there?")

But the one film that truly scared me as a kid was "The Legend of Boggy Creek". This essentially was a quasi-documentary about Bigfoot. This movie haunted me for years as I believed (despite living in the city) that one day Bigfoot would get me! :lol

(*Guilty of not picking "one" scary moment ;) )

Kevin

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  19. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

The semi-transformed guy's scream in 82's The Thing! GAH!

The Grudge is one of the dumbest movies...but the ghost creeped me out for a long time -_-.

A few scenes from Event Horizon...the church scene from 28 Days Later...The Sentinel...and the ghost hiding behind the door who just walks out in front of the girl O_O.

20. Vermithrax 4

Vermithrax 4 Well-Known Member

In the first five minutes of "Phantom Menace" when Nute Gunray's assistant said, "Are you brain dead?" At that point I was genuinely scared sh*tless.

21. SSgt Burton

SSgt Burton Sr Member

:lol:lol:lol

Kevin

22. jcoffman99

jcoffman99 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's mine.

The movie Squirm about the "killer" worms got me too. I was only five or six when I saw that.

23. Satxer

Satxer Sr Member

Thought of another one that just gives me straight up chills to this day. Silent Hill, when she see's the first creature and it lets out that shriek...oh my god...

24. CelticRuins

CelticRuins Sr Member

Pyramid Head. Both full of fear and win all at once.

25. dblv25

dblv25 New Member

This one is a little different, but in Kiss the Girls when they are in the woods trying to find the killer right after finding all the girls. The chase is on, it's silent and in the woods, and all of a sudden a shot rings out. That moment was so intense (my girlfriend was actually going to UNC at the time and I was in Colorado, so I had that fear that something would happen to her) that when the single shot goes off, I jumped. Can't really think of another moment that really got me that bad. I'm usually pretty good at predicting them.

For creepy factor, the moment at the end of the Blair Witch Project when the dude is standing in the corner and then the camera falls. Just creepy.

26. Jayn

Jayn Sr Member

so many, but three that stand out are (of course) Ben Gardner's head scene from Jaws.. I was showered with coke & popcorn from the rows in front of me the first time seeing that.
    The dog attack in the cemetery scene in the original Omen movie (mainly the climbing the fence scene) and the end of the original version of Carrie. That one got to me so bad that when I went back to see it with friends again, I had to walk out of the theatre early. :lol

27. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

"deliverance"...I'm sure you guys know which scene.

28. sparrowed

sparrowed Well-Known Member

I'm a huge horror fan and love monsters, gore, zombies, critters, paranormal...all that creepy stuff. I'm the one usually laughing or snickering in the theater during a scary movie (...twisted? Of course! :love )
    Anyways, I went to see "Insidious"...and "yes" it was lame, but no matter how lame it was, I am totally guilty of *screaming* when the demon popped his face out from behind the guys head in this scene
    [​IMG]
    I just about jumped out of my seat, and covered my eyes! That's something I haven't done in years, and something my so called friends so kindly remind me about everytime we go to the movies now.

Embarrassed? Absolutely!! :lol

29. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

Lol I LOVED Insidious! Thought it was a great movie! That was a creepy part although the part where they show the photos to the husband later on was quite unsettling as well, gave me the chills.

30. Mullreel

Mullreel Well-Known Member

When I was a kid the scene in Alien when Tom Skerritt is in the air shaft, and turns to see the Alien raise up right behind him........scared the crap out me as a 10 year old. The suspense leading up to the point and the fast reveal that let you see the Alien but not get a good look at him....

31. sparrowed

sparrowed Well-Known Member

Hahaha...Anyone here remember Night Gallery??
    I hated the episode "The Doll" OMG! After watching that one when I was a kid, I threw a blanket over all my stuffed animals when I went to bed so I wouldn't see them, and they wouldn't see me!! :lol

32. binkleywalker

binkleywalker Sr Member

'The Onion Field'- watched it as a kid one Saturday afternoon. Didn't really know what I was watching, and when the guy shoots the cop, Ted Danson, I believe, and there's a hole right under his nose, and the other guy starts screaming... decades later it still haunts me.

I watched it recently on Youtube and it still makes my bowels turn into liquid.

Brian

33. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Not really "scary" as much as "utterly creepy", but Joel Grey as the MC in Cabaret. My mom took me to see this when I was like 3 years old; his scenes give me the heebie-jeebies even now :confused

34. Bandit-Jedi

Bandit-Jedi Sr Member

<insert any "Jaws" shark attack scene here>

as a kid that really got to me, to the point where I would walk around to the deep end of the swimming pool to check for sharks before I got in. hahah

To this day I believe the most EXTREME thing anyone can do on this planet is go scuba diving while listening to the Jaws theme.

35. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Fluffy from Creepshow is up there...

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

36. Nexus6

Nexus6 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

^THIS^ is second scariest for me.

First is the scene where that dude is in the jail cell, & the door opens with this undulating black mass coming in, suddenly "the master" reveals himself:

[​IMG]

I LITERALLY felt like I could have come out of my skin. It scared me so badly that even today, when I KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN, I'll get goose-bumps during that part.

37. kalkamel

kalkamel Sr Member

QFT! For a few days after watching that flick, I kept "seeing" her outside my window! :lol

[​IMG]

38. epilepticsquirl

epilepticsquirl Sr Member

Just saw Inisidious the other night and I got to admit, I had a few jumps here and there; It was pretty refreshing!
    Not a movie or show, but the game F.E.A.R had me crapping my pants.
    It's hard to capture the creepiness in a picture but this girl is absolutely terrifying in the game.
    [​IMG]

39. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Sr Member

The first time I saw that dinosaur movie I couldn't sleep for days! Those eyes... those terrible, terrible eyes. And those teeth! And those poor kids! It just kept playing with those poor kids! Then... it started... singing! Bah! The creepy purple skin and the way it talked! I swear it was the devil himself!

Seriously though... there have been a few - I think the creepiest (or the most lasting) are the ones that imply something rather than showing.
    - The scene from The Happening (yeah, I guess I have to admit to watching it) where they drive down the road and on both sides are people hanging.
    - The recording of "hell" from Event Horizon (*shiver* I should have never clicked on this thread....).
    - Just about anything to do with Zombies (except the Borg... the Borg are NOT zombies!)
    - One of the most haunting, though, was when Indy was dropped into the pit of snakes. I HATE snakes!

40. markomac

markomac Well-Known Member

Oh man. I played the demo for that game once. Was walking through a dark concreted hall type thing, that girl runs across in front of me, I got up and left the room. Never played it again.

41. Rusty85

Rusty85 Sr Member

I agree with this one, that one scene freaked me out big time!

42. outlander

outlander Sr Member

I find it hilarious when I read stories that echo my own personal experiences. Two anecdotes
    The original release and original run of JAWS. Sitting in the darkness of the Jerry Lewis Theater - now the Flicker Palace - on Old Troy Pike in Huber Heights, Ohio. Happy as a clam my old man had defied my Mom's wishes and brought me along to a late evening show -- on a school night! That head pops out of the boat and I jerked in my seat so hard that people two rows back were cleaning TIC TACS out of their hair.

That * Spielberg! Back then, he had a pair. The attack in the night in the opening... that beautiful nude young Flower Girl pulled underwater again and again, carried forward so hard she smacked face first into a buoy. Her terrified hyperventilation as she scrabbled desperately at the cold, slick metal....

Then one final dunk and the silence of the sea at night.

Well the hell with my second one... My lifelong dread of sharks is a legacy attribuutable to one man and one man

* YOU SPIELBERG!!! * YOU!!! :darnkids

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  43. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

The chestburster scene from ALIEN.

Jaws is up there for me as well, but its the scene where Quint is talking about the Indianapolis.

The fly over scene near the start of "Day of the Dead' where the whole city is littered with walkers. Something about this always creeps me the hell out.

44. outlander

outlander Sr Member

That is where I learned about that tragic piece of American History. Robert Shaw should have won the Oscar for that monologue alone.

Hooper (Richard Dreyfuss): You were on the Indianapolis?
    Brody (Roy Scheider): What happened?
    Quint: Japanese submarine slammed two torpedoes into our side, chief. It was comin' back, from the island of Tinian to Laytee, just delivered the bomb. The Hiroshima bomb. Eleven hundred men went into the water. Vessel went down in twelve minutes. Didn't see the first shark for about a half an hour. Tiger. Thirteen footer. You know how you know that when you're in the water, chief? You tell by lookin' from the dorsal to the tail. What we didn't know... was our bomb mission had been so secret, no distress signal had been sent. Huh huh. They didn't even list us overdue for a week. Very first light, chief. The sharks come cruisin'. So we formed ourselves into tight groups. You know it's... kinda like ol' squares in battle like a, you see on a calendar, like the battle of Waterloo. And the idea was, the shark comes to the nearest man and that man, he'd start poundin' and hollerin' and screamin' and sometimes the shark would go away. Sometimes he wouldn't go away. Sometimes that shark, he looks right into you. Right into your eyes. You know the thing about a shark, he's got...lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eye. When he comes at ya, doesn't seem to be livin'. Until he bites ya and those black eyes roll over white. And then, ah then you hear that terrible high pitch screamin' and the ocean turns red and spite of all the poundin' and the hollerin' they all come in and rip you to pieces.
    Y'know by the end of that first dawn, lost a hundred men! I don't know how many sharks, maybe a thousand! I don't know how many men, they averaged six an hour. On Thursday mornin' chief, I bumped into a friend of mine, Herbie Robinson from Cleveland. Baseball player, boson's mate. I thought he was asleep, reached over to wake him up. Bobbed up and down in the water, just like a kinda top. Up ended. Well... he'd been bitten in half below the waist. Noon the fifth day, Mr. Hooper, a Lockheed Ventura saw us, he swung in low and he saw us. He's a young pilot, a lot younger than Mr. Hooper, anyway he saw us and come in low. And three hours later a big fat PBY comes down and start to pick us up. You know that was the time I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn. I'll never put on a lifejacket again. So, eleven hundred men went in the water, three hundred and sixteen men come out, the sharks took the rest, June the 29, 1945. Anyway, we delivered the bomb."

That monologue was written by three men, Shaw himself and also
    Milius.

"Conan! What is good in life?"

45. JPolacchi

JPolacchi Sr Member

That crazy B*&%!#^?! in "High Tension" frightened the crap out of me.

46. patsmear

patsmear Sr Member

Yep Floating kid from Salem's Lot and the Exorcist III scene.......but she closed the door!?!?!?

47. nick-a-tron

nick-a-tron Well-Known Member

Don't you mean homeless woman? ;)

48. howlingwind13

howlingwind13 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well that makes 4 of us. YOU, ME, and my wife...wife and I saw it in the theater and both jumped. Well we liked the movie so much we bought it on blu ray.
    My brother in law comes over to watch it with us. We are sitting on the couch and that part comes on and my wife (god bless her) grabs her brother's thigh just as that red faced freak pops up. Well he literally jumped over the arm of the couch and fell on to the floor screaming.:lol:lol:lol
    mike

49. handler

handler Well-Known Member

Ditto on Ralphie Glick floating outside the window. It didn't help that it was just naturally scary, but what made it so bad for me is that my room was set up pretty much like that, so it was traumatic for me as a kid. Also, later on in the movie: "Look at me, teacher!"

50. Bizarro Lois

Bizarro Lois Sr Member

I don't want to tell what happens, but there's a moment toward the end of "Dead of Night" that really freaked me out. The movie starts out slowly, then picks up speed. There's kind of a payoff moment involving the Hugo dummy, that I was like, "OH SH******T!"