What is the significance of luke and the binary suns scene in a new hope to you

JBLAKE

Sr Member
Always has been near and dear for me that very special scene with the emotions, the unknown future, the rising music and the warming glow of the setting suns. Just a Beautiful Scene.

Has it ever been written anywhere the official meaning of that scene and better yet what did that scene mean to you the 1st time you saw it.

To me that scene meant Hope, Comfort and Exciting New Horizons and Adventures ahead from the 1st time I saw it.

I think you nailed it. I always thought it was hopeful but sad. Here is a kid that completely feels that he just doesn't belong where he is, a backwater moisture farm dust ball of a planet. He wants to join the academy just to get out of there. He dreams of all the adventures that he knows are someplace else. Anywhere but where he is. Also he is adopted, wants desperately to know who his parents are, who he is. It is all in that scene.

I agree with all 3 posts.

It blew me away as a kid.

Almost like a last tear before you wipe your eyes and face the world (Galaxy) type of moment.

A major impact on me the first time I saw it... Moreso than Vader, light sabers, etc etc.

Best use of music in a film ever!

I re watched the prequels a little while ago. In one big marathon. And I have to say, when it got to that final moment when we saw those twin suns and uncle owen looking out, I got pretty choked up

Sun setting = something ending
Tomorrow's sun rise = the unknown yet to come
His farm boy life is coming to an end, but he has no clue what the future holds. Between the sunset and the sunrise is a big section of rest but also excitement, time to prepare for the future yet also no time to waste on the past. Its in between his lives and at that moment watching the setting shows that he is accepting this as his fate. Same for the end of Ep III, end of one life, beginning of another, and here we are in between at the moment.

It is the coming of age thing. Big chances are looming in Luke's life, and he can feel it: being both eager and anxious about it.

I was 10 years old the first time I saw this and didn’t see the deeper meaning behind this scene. However, it did stand out to me and because of the music, I did feel something important and emotional was going on but I was more interesting in seeing the droids and vehicles. I was also thinking it must get pretty hot on that planet with two suns.

Cinematically it illustrates, for me that is, when everything comes together emotionally in a shot, Plot, Visual, and score.

There were times when I would be cruising down the Mount Vernon Parkway at sunset in my Trans Am with the t-tops off and it would magically remind me of that shot

Hhhmmm, I really love the bit when Roy Batty has just killed his maker and he descends the building in the lift.

I don't want to get off topic... but the music in Bladerunner blew my mind (I only just saw it the first time a year ago). Opening shot going into the Tyrell corp... Vangelis music... It was VERY reminiscent of how I felt hearing Star Wars score for the first time as a kid.

According to Rinzler that sunset was shot on Monday, March 29th 1976, at about 5:00pm. For some reason I always remember that.

To me, I always saw it as the suns setting on his old life on the farm, as the following scene set up him being lured away from the farm to go after R2, and he was about to begin the path into the new life he was going to have in the morning (which is also symbolic, as dawn is considered a start).

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back