What is the fascination with Blade Runner?

I just finished watching this film for the first time.:eek

This ranks as one of the worst films I have ever seen.:sick

It was like trying to sit through the Star Wars Holiday special. :confused

So I ask... what is the facination?

Re: What is the facination with Blade Runner?

You either get it or you don't.

Likewise you either like it or hate it! :lol

I have watched it a couple of times and while I don't outright hate it, I don't see the genius that a lot of people see. It is a bit dull and boring for me and just weird. There are some really interesting themes about life and death, but aside from that, as an overall movie, I wasn't very entertained.

It was made when that sort of thing was different, now it's not, so it doesn't seem as good.

The fascination with Blade Runner is that it's a visually beautiful film coupled with compelling ideas about artificial intelligence and what makes someone 'human.' Rutger Hauer gives an amazing performance and the soundtrack is evocative and cool. That's just off the top of my head. Sorry you didn't like it. There's subject matter in there worth exploring and it's been regarded as a classic for years.

I too hated Blade Runner the first time I had seen it but the second time was totally blown away. You need to comprehend the era that ended when the film was in production. Everything was going corporate and "film" was killed off for popcorn fluff and formula ruled crap which is why we have actors getting ungodly sums as paychecks and budgets higher than most cities are in debt.

Everything was still an art form where as today we can design and print graphics and even CGI on our home computers. Just to make the simple Deckard ID it was drawn out by hand and created by hand.

If you have never seen the actual filming locations, you will probly not recognize them yet they have changed so very little since then. New York Street at Warner Brothers is a perfect example. Its tiny, super fake looking, nothing futuristic at all about it but you never would guess this is it by watching the film:
34xqjop.jpg

Unfortunately if the film was made today it would probly star Vin Diesel or some other one dimensional actor, or maybe even Tom Cruise if they were to make the end chase more actual running then suspense, full of lame explosions, odd perspective looking CGI landscapes, music by some techno band and all flashy clothing that doesnt match the theme of a burnt out world... It wouldnt work as the classic it is but just another big budget flash in the pan.

Blade Runner was an actual film that created a real world. Its full of undertones and leaves you questioning characters motivations and the characters themselves. You have to let the sci fi thing go and watch it as its a real world. The major mistake I think they made was the timeline. It should have been set 100 years into the future as opposed to 2016.

not just a love and hate - depending on your age will imo affect how you appreciate it. many years ago when it was released it was just a big thing and what we talked about for years to come.

but release a film like that now with those same effects etc etc to a new audience and it wont stand the test of time as it did many years ago

which version did you see, there have been a couple of different cuts....... - if you saw the directors cut try the original one and see how you get on with it

The fascination with Blade Runner is that it's a visually beautiful film coupled with compelling ideas about artificial intelligence and what makes someone 'human.' Rutger Hauer gives an amazing performance and the soundtrack is evocative and cool. That's just off the top of my head. Sorry you didn't like it. There's subject matter in there worth exploring and it's been regarded as a classic for years.

Yeah. This is basically the short version.

Longer version:

Preface -- much of the way to appreciate this film is to consider it within its own historical context. The same way people might say Citizen Kane is kinda boring these days, if you consider what it did for/to film in its time, it's pretty damn impressive. Likewise, watching Star Wars today in its theatrical form may not be that impressive if you grew up in the last 20 years, but in its time, it was mindblowing. Similar stuff applies to Blade Runner.

1.) The visuals. While perhaps not quite as impressive nowadays, at the time, they were visionary. Blade Runner basically defined the look of cyberpunk. The world has a futuristic look to it, but also a grittiness and "used" feeling. The film, visually speaking, evokes a sense of dystopian future, but not in the typical "post apocalyptic warriors of the wasteland" way. The world's very much "alive," it's just bleak.

2.) The music. Vangelis' score is haunting and, again, while dated, was "futuristic" at the time.

3.) The overall "feel" of the film. It's very much a science-fiction film noir story. It's got similar pacing to film noir, as well. A much more sober, deliberate pace, rather than what you normally see in action-packed sci-fi. Deckard draws his gun, what, 3? 4 times?

4.) The themes. The film has some really intriguing science-fiction themes which, while timeless (the question of humanity when faced with an automaton/simulacrum), is handled in a particularly moving way. There's also questions about the nature of the mind itself with the concept of memory.

All that said, if you've only heard people rave a la "DUDE! It's SUCH an awesome movie! You'll love it! You gotta see it!!" then they really didn't prepare you very well for it. It's more cerebral than a lot of what passes for sci-fi. It's slower paced, with a LOT less action and a LOT more talk. The visuals, at this point, are sort of futuristic, but also dated. It doesn't have CGI. It's not a thrill-ride. Also the whole feel of the film is very somber. Brooding, even. If that ain't your thing, then no amount of hype will make you like this film. There is, by the way, no shame in that. Blade Runner is NOT everyone's cup of tea.

You also have to consider that the things that make it seem cliched by today's standards are things that it actually invented. The most obvious is the "gritty future" that made it look like an actual place with actual people. What Ridley started with Alien in that regard, he perfected with Blade Runner. The idea has been copied to death since then, which makes the film blend in more with newer schlock (visually).

I like it because it tells its story entirely through character actions, and not the requisite "exposition scene" we get nowadays, where someone sits down and explains the film's plot (shades of Dark Helmet... "Everybody got that?").

It's certainly a different kind of movie compared to what's been made in the last decade or so. These days, it's either "Summer Blockbuster" or "Oscar Bait", and there's not much room for anything else. Blade Runner is something altogether different, which can make it seem weird, or in this thread's case, "slow and boring" since it doesn't have explosions and giant robots every three minutes.

Also I'd advise watching a regular DVD, original release with the voice-over. A lot of people get totally lost without it.

I think the Blu-ray made the models look like models, especially when it was re-released on Video in theaters.

All that said, if you've only heard people rave a la "DUDE! It's SUCH an awesome movie! You'll love it! You gotta see it!!" then they really didn't prepare you very well for it. It's more cerebral than a lot of what passes for sci-fi. It's slower paced, with a LOT less action and a LOT more talk. The visuals, at this point, are sort of futuristic, but also dated. It doesn't have CGI. It's not a thrill-ride. Also the whole feel of the film is very somber. Brooding, even. If that ain't your thing, then no amount of hype will make you like this film. There is, by the way, no shame in that. Blade Runner is NOT everyone's cup of tea.

I agree.. I think the biggest reason that I was disappointed in the movie is because I didn't have the right expectations before watching it. From all of the hype I thought I was going to be seeing more action.

Also, I don't know the age of Forrestmoon, but if you are my age or younger, you can liken it to '5th element's great grandfather,' in terms of style.

It, to me, seems very much like 5th element is a 'blade runner for today's youth' kinda movie. I love them both.

It's like the said, 'this movie should look like blade runner... But flashier... And cleaner... Louder... Brighter... More modern... And with a shorter attention span!!! It'll be blade runner with ADHD!!!'

I agree.. I think the biggest reason that I was disappointed in the movie is because I didn't have the right expectations before watching it. From all of the hype I thought I was going to be seeing more action.

Exactly. And that, by the way, applies to more than just Blade Runner.

All too often in fandom circles, people who recommend this or that film/show/whatever are really simply saying to you "I liked it a lot" without regard to why they liked it nor whether YOU would like it. Nobody stops to think for a second whether their tastes are shared by the person to whom they're recommending the piece.

For example, I thought the remade 3:10 to Yuma was terrific. But, even if I was talking to a fellow Western fan, I would be curious as to whether they prefer John Wayne westerns to spaghetti westerns to "singing cowboy" westerns to other sub-genres of westerns. I wouldn't simply say "I loved it! You gotta see it!" at least without explaining what I thought would be relevant for the particular person I'm talking to. If I were recommending the film to someone who dug films more like The Man from Snowy River, I'd be sure to point out the violence and lack of impressive riding even as I lauded the characters and heart of the film.

Also, I don't know the age of Forrestmoon, but if you are my age or younger, you can liken it to '5th element's great grandfather,' in terms of style.

It, to me, seems very much like 5th element is a 'blade runner for today's youth' kinda movie. I love them both.

It's like the said, 'this movie should look like blade runner... But flashier... And cleaner... Louder... Brighter... More modern... And with a shorter attention span!!! It'll be blade runner with ADHD!!!'

Which is a big part of why I really dislike The 5th Element.

45 next month... sorry... 5th element had a great story line and great characters. Blade Runner had neither. Visually... for it's time. It had to be pretty cool back in the 80's.

When I watch older films. I try to see it for what it was back in that time period. I just don't think this one will grow on me.

The second time I saw BR was in Germany (and afterward I was all stoked because I'd gotten to see the "international" cut). I saw it with two German guys my age (17), and they weren't all that impressed. They said they preferred Bud Spencer movies. :)

I just finished watching this film for the first time.:eek
This ranks as one of the worst films I have ever seen.:sick
It was like trying to sit through the Star Wars Holiday special. :confused
So I ask... what is the facination?

7335-smoke.jpg

Because if you wallow in deep melancholy for a while, you start to see the beauty in it.
The director had just suffered a great loss and it somehow infused into every corner of that film. The streets in it are wet because they are crying.
It’s not a fun adventure, but a follow-on in the Film Noir tradition.

(Commercial break, which I will be bringing up soon in the "why are the streets wet?" thread.)

I can’t believe you didn’t like the Star Wars Holiday Special.
How do I do the slapping emoticon?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back