What is the best material for face prosthetics?

Scrapps

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the non-pred costumes, since this won't be for a pred costume but this is about materials.

Anyway, this would be for a face piece around the mouth (and maybe a nose prosthetic) for Mileena from Mortal Kombat. I'm probably going to try to make a halfway open mouth with the blank space covered with some kind of stretchy, breathable black mesh. I'm just stumped on the material. I've worked with the mask making latex from monster makers but I'm wondering if there is a better option (Silicone, cold foam?)

I'm looking for the best material based on ease of use (I don't have an oven that I can use specifically for these things. I need a measure, mix and go kind of material.) and of course, the final look and blendability of it (How will edge seams can be covered up and how well it'll take to paint and makeup) Also, I have somewhat sensitive skin but I have been able to put spirit gum and liquid latex on my skin before without a reaction.

I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on which is "best". Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well since the oven is out, you can cancel out foam latex ( most facial prosthetics are made from it.. Although they are single use only)
Next viable option would be silicone or gel 10. The tricky part is in the application. Since nothing sticks to silicone, but silicone... Prosaid and spirit gum ( eck) are out. What you would need is Telesis. Telesis is a silicone adhesive.. It is very strong, but very expensive. It also takes a Telesis remover to get off sush as ez-off or bind off. Once applied, edges can be blended with Cabo-patch ( bondo made with prosaid and cabosil) you would then color the prosthetic with alcohol activated skin illustrator make up palates ( also expensive.. About 75 dollars per palette )

Wow, lots of information and exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!!!

Edit: I was looking into it more and you're not kidding, it is expensive. I might just make a covered version without the mouth showing until I can afford this stuff. It was all still very helpful information though. Thanks again!

If using a gel10 or a gel00 peice, you can actually use gel10 or gel00 straight on the skin as a adhesive, to stick the silicone peice to yourself, your body heat with make the silicone cure pretty quick. but i know this can be done.

Obviously Georges way is the more Proffessional way, just giving you another option. B)

yes...using gel10 as an adhesive its self does work ...it in a fashion is much like telesis in that it will stick to its own substance...I cant stress enough using the proper removers though when taking the appliance off. Saturating the piece and gently working it off with a brush soaked in bond off or ez-off. Ive seen way to many overly anxious actor try and remove a prosthetic themselves ..then see the pinholes of blood appear on the skin and the subsequent pain that fallows. removal is just as important as the application process. In short...make sure you do your homework before applying and removing a facial prosthetic ..theres alot to it other then building the actual piece.

That sounds painful. Ouch. I'll definately make sure to get all the necessary removers. Better safe and expensive than cheap and sorry.

Also, I'm assuming that since silicone only sticks to silicone, I could use an Ultracal mold like with latex? If so, I might make a cheap latex version with the stuff I have on hand and make the good version with the same mold once I've got the dough to do it. If not, covered face, it is.

Thanks, guys.

Noooooooo! Latex seriously inhibits the cure of silicone.. So once that ultracal mold has latex in it, you do not want to run silicone in it

not the biggest fan of using gelatin to make facial prosthetics...scars and wounds, ok..but the results with a full moving prosthetic just arent as good as silicone or foam latex. I have made gelatin prosthetics in a pinch when I need a nose piece or such, faster then the bake time of foam. The problem with geletin are always the edges .they never come out thin enough IMHO. the edges can be tinned down after application ..but very carefully ..you can run the risk of going too far..then its back to the start line. If you are truly interested in making a gelatin piece, check out this thread from the effects lab. A novice is starting a prosthetic and asks the right questions and gets pretty decent answers

http://www.theeffectslab.com/forums/viewto...d2dc6adf480ce31

I see what you mean about the edges, i have had problems like that in the past, for ages i thought i kept making mistakes when making the molds lol. but i do like like the scars that can be created with application directly to the skin.

i will give that link a read for sure that you have posted.

I totally didn't know that about silicone and latex. Good to know.

I might try the gelatin idea. I haven't tried it before but I found various tutorials. I think it will work well enough for me. Most of the people I know that go to the same con as I do don't even think about going as far as making prosthetics so probably even the crappiest one by lair standards would still be impressive. I shouldn't have problems with the weather. Actually, it's more likely that I'd freeze my butt off on the short walk from my hotel to the convention center.

My only concerns are 1. Will it be flexible enough for me to open and close my mouth (Prosthetic will go on my upper lip, out almost to my ear on both sides and back around to my lower lip, Black stretchy mesh will be put in between the teeth)? Should I make it in two pieces, an upper and lower? 2. Would the heat and moisture in my breath somehow mess up the gelatin?

I'll give it a try and if that, for whatever reason doesn't turn out. I'll just wear the face mask. Thanks a bunch!

PTGreek has some solid points. Telesis 5 is my adhesive of choice for all prosthetic work, be it foam latex, gelatin, or silicone. There are now a few decent alternative like Snappy G and such, but the real deal is still my favorite. If you want to go the silicone route for your appliance, you can use a material called Bald Cap plastic, brands like Baldies or Super Baldies are best, as an encapsulant or outer skin. This will make gluing it down a bit easier, and it makes painting and blending a million times easier.

Here is the thing though, if your appliance is really thick and heavy, neither silicone or gelatin are going to work that well. The moment you sweat a bit, they are liable to just fall off your face. This is where foam latex is so wonderful. As for polyfoam, which some people refer to as cold foam, it can be a bit stiff. You might have a little success with skinning it in latex and going with a 2 lb foam, but even then, there can be adhesion and movement issues. Do you have pictures of what you want to make?

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back