What is Studio Scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Underdog

Sr Member
I know this may sound like a noob question, but when there are several different versions of a models that are used in actual filming, who decides what is studio scale? 1/24... 1/1000...... Does it have to be the scale of the actual model used? Can the model be 2X, or 1/2?

LOL - Deja Vu All over again :)

I guess it's been a couple years since I've seen one of these, there's gotta be an old or archived thread someplace. I think the general concensus has historically been, Studio scale equates to a copy in the same scale as any of the proper filming models. So if they made a 1/24th miniature, and a 1/6th and used them in production, you could make a 1/24 scale or 1/6th scale model and it would be "Studio Scale". If they used a 1/24 and you make a 1/12th, your 2x is just that, it's not studio scale, it's 2 times studio scale.

When it comes to strictly CG productions with models being made based off the renderings and frames, well there were some fun arguments made on both sides about whether it is possible to make a studio scale model of those things.

/em Makes popcorn.

Last edited:
The "What this forum is all about..." sticky explains this and is there for this reason.

Good answers. Maybe your answers could help to elaborate the definitions in that sticky.

LOL there ya go, good eye Scott!

I hadn't looked at the "what it's about" thread, it spells it out very clearly.

Yeah, I never read the thing for months when first joining. Had the same problems figuring it out. Seems the stickies aren't always so easy to see. ;)

I always thought the term explained itself, at least, i got the idea the minute i got into this mode of building.

Lee

It's also not an alarming number of threads appearing in this forum.

Allan you read my mind, of late the SS forum is so diluted with, ah, lets not even go there, needless to say, the trusted few still throw down to make it worth checking in..... anyway, cant stay, i feel compelled to talk about resin R2 heads.

Lee

Allan you read my mind, of late the SS forum is so diluted with, ah, lets not even go there, needless to say, the trusted few still throw down to make it worth checking in..... anyway, cant stay, i feel compelled to talk about resin R2 heads.

Lee

Man .... I have to stop myself sometimes.... Ya know.

Ah, you mean the " ye gads, not another thread of pap, to dilute the showing of insane skill this board has to offer " page? Sick of getting stuck on the last paragraph of late :lol

Lee

Wasnt gonna, but im gonna dig for a free lunch and name drop.
Missing ol' goldenchild Ceresa right now, where is the man i throw homage in droves at, Allan Hansen (miss ya bud) where are the ever entralling saber duels of Jamie Farthing et al, miss that a lot, love or hate, these guys, i still miss, old school.
Now, we just have that ol' hack Eaton cleaning up hehe, the list is LONG, so many great names, and its sad we dont see them anymore.
Hope one day, we see a return from Rolando, do think of ya bro, drop in whenever you get a free minute!

Lee.... All misty..... sniff!

Ha!.... That's the one. My God!! I wake up with baited breath somedays. Praying for a new build. Maybe I should just finish one of mine instead. Maybe we should bump some of the oldies but goodies.

Well, ive got something up my sleeve Simon, ill post as and when it really gets off the ground.
As for the oldies, yeah, so much is lost on the back pages, seminal builds, insane donor ID's of old.
Im hardly one to pish and whine, im not exactly slaying builds right now, but soon, very soon ill some of my own gear to start digging in with.
Just a question to the old guard....do they not post anymore "because" of some of the drivel?

lee

Same here, me and some friends overseas have got a L'il. Something coming up. And there are some fantastic NEW kits coming up too. Looking forward to building some of them. Get this party started again. Could use some old wisdom around here though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back