What is a good foam to use to build a Iron Man suit with?

hdaugherty35

I'm trying to build my very first Iron Man suit but I don't know what foam and other materials to use. Its a real struggle but it will be worth it in the end. If you have any good materials or techniques I could use please reply!!

Look for the forum thread "JF Custom foam files".All the info to get started is in there.
Looking forward to your work in progress:thumbsup

I completely understand how your feel right now. Been there lol. Anyways do not hassle with those rolls of excessive mats or foam dealers just go to hobby lobby and in the back of most stores they havve giant sheets of 6mm Eva foam it's all I get and its looking good. They are also more cost efficient usually at like a buck 20 a sheet of like 1.5X3ft

More tips-
-Do NOT start with the helmet! Start with something really simple, like the codpiece or hand plates-nothing worse than making the helmet, only to find you didn't scale it properly.
-Take your time! You will be gluing sections a couple of inches at a time, and it will seem like forever before a seam is done, but the difference between taking your time and rushing your gluing is night and day.
-Have a Dremel with a sanding wheel-it isn't always clear which cuts should be angled when you first remove them from the foam sheet, so having a sanding wheel is a simple way to make the 45 degree cuts.
Hope these help, I wish you all the luck in the world!

I used to use the 1/2" puzzle piece foam mats, but the end up making the armor WAY too thick. More recently, I've started using the 5mm foam sheets from my local craft store. It's a little more expensive, but it looks better in my opinion and is easier to work with. You can also find large rolls of 1/4" foam mats for around $20 at walmart sometimes if you don't mind the textured side being on the inside.

Ya they are they're 6mm thick

So what did you use them for? And could you paint them?

- - - Updated - - -

I used to use the 1/2" puzzle piece foam mats, but the end up making the armor WAY too thick. More recently, I've started using the 5mm foam sheets from my local craft store. It's a little more expensive, but it looks better in my opinion and is easier to work with. You can also find large rolls of 1/4" foam mats for around $20 at walmart sometimes if you don't mind the textured side being on the inside.

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that 1/4in (6mm) is the right size for armor like Iron Man. I've heard that 1/2in is to hard to cut, and like you said, too thick.

I use them for the entire suit, minus the helm (3d printed). Yes, being EVA foam, it is completely coat able with resin, pva, you name it

Oh and here's some pics of my foam work (First build):
image.jpg

I've found 6 mm to be a great for doing things. I got a large amount of 10 mm to start with though so have been using that a lot.

It's good for the chest sections but has been much harder to work with for the other parts. The thickness makes it hard to fit body parts through at times, I've had a lot of fun with the legs particularly.

So what did you use them for? And could you paint them?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that 1/4in (6mm) is the right size for armor like Iron Man. I've heard that 1/2in is to hard to cut, and like you said, too thick.

I don't find 1/2 too hard or thick to work with. It made my armor look solid and keeps the shape I intended. I used it for every piece except the helmet and wherever I needed a little flexibility, like the neck and abs.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back