what is a good epoxy for eva foam?

redhawk

hey everybody i'm new to prop making and I wanted to know what kind of epoxy is good to work with on foam? i have been looking around and reading a lot of stuff about different types and they're effects on foam and the same with fiberglass resin and I wanted to get other peoples feedback on the subject that have been doing it for longer. thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Can either try the comic con or the dragoncon epoxy...:p

Just jokin altho your gonna have better chances for an actual aswer in the right thread :D

My tests include polyester resin, polyurethane, silicone (both cheap caulking and expensive additive RTV) and hotglue.

Polyester resin is cheap and nasty smelling, and sets hard. I found it din't "bite" into the foam really well, so later it either cracked where it was thin, or peeled off the foam where it was thick enough to be self supporting.

Polyurethane is more expensive (like 3 times the price) and does bit into the foam. I stuff I have is also flexible, so it bends with the foam as well. It helps make foam joins more rigid and can even blend and fill in seams.

RTV silicone doesn't really bite into the foam, but it makes an awesome skin over the top that is really flexible and can replicate skin really nice. If I had known how well thios worked earlier, I would have used it for my "hammerhead" project.

Caulking silicone is hard to work right out of the tube. It is an adhesive, so it will stick to everything. You can smooth it with acetone or mix it in a jar at 10 parts silicone :1 part acetone to make a thick pour-able paste. This tends to lose some of the adhesive qualities, but makes it much easier to work. Once the acetone evaporates, you are left with a rubber skin over the part. Whilst it is much cheaper than RTV, the acetone will increase the costs and pound for pound, it gets costly.

Hotglue is the cheapest stuff to coat foam, but I have no idea what possessed me to do this. I melted a heap of hot glue sticks in a pot and applied the melted plastic over the foam. It bites in, but also peel up and because of its low melt point, not very stable in hotter environments.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back