What is a good duct tape dummy filling?

Splice

I am getting ready to make a duct tape dummy for the maguyver suit and was wondering what the best filler was. I read that latex shrinks up the mr incredible costume, so I thought if I used something like great stuff as a filling, it might hold up better to the shrinkage. I'm just not sure if it will expand too much and distort or bust the dummy. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeremy

the problem with using great stuff to fill a duct tape dummy is the air needed for it to cure and harden ..filling such a large area with deeper voids, you run the risk of that foam remaining a tacky mess. Honestly ...newspaper all balled up will work just fine ....better yet..cotton batting ( pillow innards) are probably best ...it will maintain the shape ..the rigidity of the actual duct tape will do the rest

When I stuffed my duct tape dummy, I used hollow foam tubes (courtesy of Ax-Man Surplus) to stuff the arms and legs, along with some foam batting to pad things out to the right diameter. The hollow foam tubes also made it possible to put the PVC pipes into the legs for a support structure.

In the main body, I used a few inflatable pool cooler things, again from Ax-Man. I don't know what they're really called, so I have no idea where you could actually find something like that in your area. Maybe small inflatable balls would work. I also put in some foam batting and some cut-up pieces of foam padding to pad the suit out.

My idea was that I could deflate the cooler thingies if I needed some clearance to remove the suit from the duct tape dummy, but it turns out it wasn't necessary. That's because I wrapped my dummy in Saran Wrap before putting the Mr. Incredible suit onto it and doing the latex.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back