What if...

JumanjiFan112

I was just thinking. You know how some people have movie props in private collections? What if someone were to contact them and offer money to come see their dream prop?:thumbsdown :confused:thumbsup I.E. The Jumanji game.:love
Or, contact certain people for a prop meet-up and request certain props?:love

I mean, i would definitely pay to see the full game up-close in personal.:lol

Let me know what you think..

Not to be ugly, but I think most people who have the money to buy those kind of props wouldn't be swayed by having small denominations thrown at them to allow someone to view one of their pieces. While it does seem to be EVER so slowly changing, many screen used collectors are EXTREMELY private about their collections... pretty much the polar opposite of replica collectors. There are many reasons for it, but unless you were willing to throw around some serious $$$, I doubt many screen used collectors would be willing to be paid to show their pieces. They either would show you or they wouldn't and money wouldn't play into it.

Well, thanks for the input.
I already emailed the person who has the Jumanji game, Whytestarline. He has it posted on Yourprops and on his own website (but there arent any images on it)

Good luck! I have seen him post before on another site and he seems to be a very nice guy. Have no idea how he feels about showing the piece off in person, but would be interested to hear his take on your proposal.

If it makes you feel any better, I would pay big $$$ to have some time with an original Boba Fett costume, but not simply to see it. I would want to photograph and measure pieces and that just will NEVER happen. :(

Yeah, I'd like to do that with the Jumanji game. I wonder if it would be going too far if i asked him to play a round with me, lol.

There's so many troubles with that kind of thing unfortunately, it's full of possible disasters for a prop or costume to be out on display for the public to take a look at. Accidents happen, more often when people are trying to be very delicate! Or even when the owner is trying to be delicate! Once something is displayed and safe I'm happy for it to stay there!
There's so many things to take in to account like insurance, storage, transportation, damage, vandalism, theft or just putting yourself on the radar of a studio or individual who might want to stake a claim to it :lol
It gives me a headache just thinking about it :behave

Some props are disappointing in person.
Several years ago I saw one of the Citicabs from Judge Dredd, Up close and personal it was very flimsy looking and not well finished.

I am sure that a lot of genuine props are the same.

Craig

or just putting yourself on the radar of a studio or individual who might want to stake a claim to it

This is a lot of peoples reasons for not posting pics of it online, and also so people dont make replicas of it. When I drop a few grand on a prop thats one-of-a-kind I dont want to see exact copies of it being sold in the JY for $150.

My opinion seems to be the opposite of others that have posted so far. I want to have people see my collection. I would do it now, but the logistics are a bit difficult. Much of it is in storage because I don't have the space to properly display it. I do have a few pieces at work and coworkers stop to look at them.
I am worried about wear and tear involved with unsupervised access, but that's not stopping me from pursuing it because I think they are part of our culture and should be shared.

As others have posted throwing cash at serious Screen-Used Collectors will get you no where fast.

It is almost an insult.

I wish you luck in your quest though! :thumbsup

When I drop a few grand on a prop thats one-of-a-kind I dont want to see exact copies of it being sold in the JY for $150.

I'll never really understand that position. I'm not saying it's wrong, it's not; we all have our own way of seeing the world. But trying to understand that point of view is for me like trying to understand a philosophy and worldview that's very different and alien to my own. For me, the value of a prop or costume isn't in its uniqueness as an object--there are lots of unique items out in the world, most of which (even the lovely ones) have no inherent value--its value for me comes from having been used in the production I like, handled by the actors and characters I like. I don't really care if everyone in the world could buy an exact copy of my items; mine are the "real ones," the originals. If one could make an exact copy of a Van Gogh painting (which will be possible in the near future, within a couple of decades) down to every detail, the one Van Gogh actually painted is not diminished. The copy never touched the hands of Van Gogh, was not what Van Gogh stared at and labored on and built up with his own hands into something beautiful. The easy availability of perfect copies would, in fact, make understanding and appreciating the original so much easier for a wider audience.

Again, I think it's just a very different worldview and different way of valuing objects which makes some people very much against the availability of copies of items they own and some people all for it. But for me, I can just never understand it any more than I could understand a museum being against the 3D scanning of a Michelangelo sculpture because the availability of reproductions might somehow affect the value of Michelangelo's original. It just doesn't compute in my mind and never really will.

If it's an item you never intend to part with then I agree, it should make no difference at all to the sentimental value of your item, but I don't think there is anything elitist about it, "my prop! you can't have a replica!" kind of thing :lol
If you look at it regarding having an effect on the re-sale value of an item - there's the kind of people who are happy to assume they can just pass off replicas as originals (devaluing both the price and confidence in an actual original) and separately some buyers having seen perfect replicas can doubt the authenticity of a screen used piece if accurate representations of them are out there or the need for them to spend as much money as they would have on the original if they could just put a perfect replica in their display instead.
Of course there is the argument that the original has it's paperwork, but people can own an original item and sell on it's coa with a replica! Tragically it's happened in the past and makes even me a little bit wary of purchasing a new prop for my collection that I know there are many replicas of floating around.

I suppose yes it is a very different way of looking at things, but I guess it comes down to different types of collectors

Well, thanks for the input.
I already emailed the person who has the Jumanji game, Whytestarline. He has it posted on Yourprops and on his own website (but there arent any images on it)

If you have the money to throw around, I believe he's currently willing to sell the board... Not something that'd come cheap though I bet... :cool

If you have the money to throw around, I believe he's currently willing to sell the board... Not something that'd come cheap though I bet... :cool

Where did you hear about him wanting to sell it?
If he is, Im going to have to really do some convincing to my dad. lol

He's had it advertised on a couple of forums. I'd love it myself, I've been after one for a long time, but it's well beyond my price range - you might have to do a lot of convincing :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back