what does the future hold for scale models in big movies?

doppelganger

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all, just looking at the amount of small scale models that have been produced over the years and how they are used today. Do you think their use is dwindling with the ease of which CGI models can be rendered? I personally see the scale models being resigned to the archives and only CGI and full scale sets being used and even then sets being heavily CGI filled as in the star wars prequels. I fear it will become a dying art only too soon.

Well, the good thing about CGI models is that they are high resolution and the modeling community can take those and make their own studio scale models. I'll be honest, the CGI ships in TFA were so believable that I thought some were actual models.

Real models are pretty much dead. Another major miniature effects studio closed. I doubt you will ever see any models in movies again. Unless its a low buget sharknado movie. And even then. There cheap junk CGI

I dont think model work will vanish totally in the near future. So many filmmakers unfortunately are blinded by the possibilities of cgi (thats you, George...) but at least some films have awesome model work, Interstellar being prime example (love the fx in it). I think some people still will use models as a homage of sorts in the future. I hope true craftsmanship will never die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overall model building everywhere is in a sharp decline. Its a generational thing.
I was raised on airfix kits and spent hours on WWII aircraft, tanks and dinosaurs. My father was keen on model railways ( and built us model farmyards and zoos which we kids filled full of plastic animals). I never really got that bug thanks to the space race and the sudden proliferation of science fiction on TV, like Thunderbirds, UFO, Space 1999,Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea ,Star Trek and then of course Star Wars sealed the deal.
There is something about the design of just about everything in that film, most particularly the craft that has never been surpassed,even to this day. Each one is a small masterpiece in itself and I never tire of looking at the ones I've built these last few years, or pictures of the originals.
But building a kit takes alot of time and patience and lets face it there are far too many other things out there that are more rewarding in this digital age (no playstations and Xboxs around when I was a lad (Space Invaders had only just made it into the pubs and arcades )) and I doubt I would really have back into the hobby if it hadn't been for all the research, graft and building skills a few of the long servers here had already put into producing their models and thus garage kits. There are a few others here that owe a great deal to them, though to read what they post sometimes you would never believe it.
There used to be a Beatties hobby shop in most towns, along with many other small toyshops but they are virtually all gone now. I go to an IPMS meet once a year and is filled with guys roughly all my age group (or older). Theres no doubt people love to look at and admire the models, but very,very few youngsters these days will ever try and build them using the old methods unless they were raised with them, however, with 3D printing becoming more commonplace and detailed I imagine that may change for some in the future.
Sadly as far as VFX go minature model building has mostly had its day, except for some particular effects scenes. One of the bigger disappointments for me in "The Force Awakens" was that ( other than the revisions of existing OT craft) just how weak the remaining vehicles were. Reys speeder barely made it, thanks to some brilliant weathering, but even that was mostly Lukes speeder turned on its side. The spacecraft were very weak ie Hans frieghter , the FO snowspeeder, and if it hadn't been for all the wreaked SDs and the older designs I'd have been royally p***ed off, but the updated X wing and the Ties and of course that amazingly rendered Falcon saved it, along with the bulk of the sets and props.
So there is no doubting the VFX were tremendous. I rewatched the entire OT the day after I saw TFA for the second time and I have to say whilst the designs are still untouchable classics IMO the new benchmark VFX standards have been well and truely set. It looked brilliant and the CGI modelling was breathtaking, those X wings scooting across lake was simply stunning (though I was less keen on it weaving around like a swallow knocking about six ties out of the sky in line later).
I'm guessing "Rogue One" may be the film that will really ignite the passion for the hobby amoungst the Studio Scalers again, and I think thats what we will be still raving about this time next year. Again its the fact it relies heavily on the old designs that's going to push all the right buttons for us. It will be then that we can make a truly accurate assessment on the CGI/ physical model debate as we can directly compare the OT with it.
BUT the hard fact is that the old processes from concept artwork, refinement ,selection then to model building and screen testing and final paintwork took alot of time , and that's even before the VFX filming starts and in this day and age with deadlines to meet it isn't going to happen. Certainly with the exception of a very,very few films in recent times I haven't seen any serious scale modelling work like I used to in "Cinefex" for a good while.

Is this a serious thread? Or just another moan and groan about how Lucas didnt hire Abrams to remake episode 4 in 1997?
Practical effects and models never went away. To my knowledge, they have actually increased in use over the years. The only thing that has really changed is efficiency, and the ability to blend cgi, with practical effects more seamlessly. Not to mention. As far as Im aware..
More practical models were created for "The Phantom menace" alone. Than were made for the entirety of the original trilogy + ep7 combined. Hate on Lucas all you want but its kind of insulting to the people who busted their asses on these films. Not to mention very uninformed.
View attachment 586445

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol. Phantom menace was almost 20 years ago. And the studio that did interstellar is the one closing. Its new deal. Got it from a very close friend who knows the owners

Lol. Phantom menace was almost 20 years ago.
Was it not addressed by the OP? For quite a looong time Ive heard nothing but how Lucas somehow killed the industry with cgi, and its bull****, there is no other way to say it. If model making were actually dying this forum would be as well. ;)

Fan model making and movie model making are two different things. Plus last time i talked to friends who are movie model makers. Theres no work. So if there using models it must be on a planet far far away

Well very often there are practical models built that are used to create the CGI model... used to generate the textures and such used on the CGI. Sometimes there just no substitute for a practical model in a shot. I definitely think its on the decline but I don 't think the art will disappear completely. even the prequels which were notorious for their CGI look used ore practical models then most people think... and miniature "sets" as well. for TPM - there was a HUGE trade federation tank built. For AOTC there was an enormous AT-TE built... Same for the Pod -Racers. I can't vouch for how much screen time they got but they are exquisite models...

Declining not dead :D

Jedi Dade

Isnt Legacy effects working on a bunch of stuff? Pac rim2 and such? JMO but I think 3d printers will be far more detrimental to the industry, than cgi.

Filmmakers are not us. They are not building models by themselves, for themselves, at their leisure. They are workers in a huge corporate machine on ridiculously tight schedules.

They don't know how SFX work, they just think they know what they want. (At least today. Ask them tomorrow and it may have changed.) They cannot always describe what they want or visualize what they are getting until they see it.

They don't always have the artistic decisions about a scene firmed up until post production. This goes for camera moves, editing, and all the way to issues like lighting, color palette, how real or over-the-top they want something to look, etc.

Isnt Legacy effects working on a bunch of stuff? Pac rim2 and such? JMO but I think 3d printers will be far more detrimental to the industry, than cgi.

3D printing is proving a huge help to film production. Some of the biggest and most complex printing machines in the industry are currently being used by the studios. Sound to me like you are more worried about its effects on you personally than its actual use during film making. And I don't think you really understand the difference between Studio Scale model minatures , which is what the original question was about , and physical 1:1 prop making which is going from strength to strength at the moment. I suggest you read Cinefex to understand where the VFX industry has been going the last few years and which particular films used what.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back